I Am

I Am

A Poem by Michelle Coleman

I Am

I am a fierce advocate for life. A lion whose padded feet feel the pull of distant lands and adventures yet unknown; Whose heart swells with awe and appreciation over small acts of thoughtless kindness and beauty; Whose rumbling roar is filled with an ache, a longing to break free of the tireless monotony.

I wonder at the potential of a gutted school bus with its skeletal walls begging to become the interior canvas of my future home on wheels. I wonder which roads will call to me first and who will have the courage to leave their comfortable lives long enough to experience the soul-quenching thirst of spontaneous exploration.

I hear the gusty wind brush against the panels outside as it flies through the canyons and buttes along the sun kissed desert floor. I hear the rain pound its staccato rhythm upon the metal surface above our heads while we dance wildly to its fervent beat.

I see forests so dense that their trees disappear into blackness and bridges so massive they seem to climb right up into the sky. I see twisted, gnarled trees heavy with Spanish moss standing guard over a placid river.

I want to be free of the "American Scream Dream." To decide for myself what is a fulfilling, joyous life. I want to surround myself with an unorthodox family who thrives on breaking the mold.

I am a fierce advocate for life.

I pretend to believe that this safe predictable routine is enough for me. That my collection of pretty things, my memory foam bed and my bike that takes me through these interest-free streets will somehow make up for the fact that I am not living my dream.

I feel contemptuous of those who would steal the gypsy in me. To tie her up in chains and toss her into an old forgotten cell. I feel angry at myself for allowing them to succeed to some degree. I feel trapped and ungrounded in this unchanging world.

I touch the once polished walls of my now dusty, flaking chamber. My fingers trace the messages of elders and peers scratched into the surface dictating who I should and should not be.

I worry that their lies have taken root in me.

I cry when I see loved ones embrace after too much time apart and when animals are given a second loving chance. I weep at the thought of being so direly missed. For someone to hold their hand out to me.

I am a fierce advocate for life.

I understand how much courage it takes to recognize the suffocating nature of living up to the status quo. And I understand how much is sacrificed for the benefit of devoting oneself to the righteousness of old fashioned American success; how very difficult that first step away from normalcy can be.

I say "Follow your bliss" wherever it may lead. And if we happen to be headed in the same direction for awhile, I will offer you a bed and a place to sit and eat in my cozy palace on wheels. Stay for as long or as little as you like. You will always find a friend in me. And when we part ways, let us rejoice for the time spent together in the hope that our paths may one day converge once again.

For I dream of roads both paved and gravel beckoning with beams of light. Steering me off course to lead me toward places that will help feed and heal my battered soul. To introduce me to those who will invite me into a world of endless possibilities and creativity.

I do my best to place my intentions in the world so that my dreams may manifest. When obstacles leap out in front of me, I either tear them down or build a bridge. I work hard at recruiting appropriate companions for the journeys ahead. And when at first I fail, I try again.

I hope one day to look back without regrets, knowing that I have allowed my soul to sing its tale of love and woe. I hope that you will remember and cherish our shared adventures captured and released.

I am a fierce advocate for life. A lion whose padded feet feel the pull of distant lands and adventures yet unknown; Whose heart swells with awe and appreciation over small acts of thoughtless kindness and beauty; Whose rumbling roar is filled with an ache, a longing to break free of the tireless monotony.

© 2015 Michelle Coleman


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like the energy and the drive of the words.
"I say "Follow your bliss" wherever it may lead. And if we happen to be headed in the same direction for awhile, I will offer you a bed and a place to sit and eat in my cozy palace on wheels. Stay for as long or as little as you like. You will always find a friend in me. And when we part ways, let us rejoice for the time spent together in the hope that our paths may one day converge once again. "
I liked the use of repetition and strong description to make your point. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michelle Coleman

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much Coyote! 😄
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

You are welcome.



Reviews

love the imagery in this pieces. "A lion whose passed feet feel the pull of distant lands and adventures yet unknown" beautiful!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Michelle Coleman

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much! 😃
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
Man, How are you not published in any capacity? This could be a stump speech for a presidential candidate. Or it could be a rallying speech for a commencement address, or be considered "your manifesto," but in a great way...My GOD, how are you NOT PUBLISHED? I'd pay to see just talking on stage. I hope someday someone discovers you or you write to every publisher in the world. You'd get a lot of offers to publish...always. At least do a blog? 8^) You take care, Im going to wish you the best, hope you achieve and been acknowledged for the great talent and person you represent. take care...dan

Posted 9 Years Ago


Michelle Coleman

9 Years Ago

I have actually never tried to get published before. 😜 I previously lacked the confidence, believ.. read more
dan

9 Years Ago

I've sent stuff into two different sites, one of them is called The Threepenny Review and the other .. read more
Michelle Coleman

9 Years Ago

You have then most encouraging words for me and I appreciate this very much. I will look into both o.. read more
Such a powerful piece.Beautifully done prose poem, very expressive.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Michelle Coleman

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Zahra. 😊
Thank you for being vulnerable (not in a bad sense!) and opening up to us to share a little precious piece of you. I will treasure your words delicately. I have an especial relation with your desire to break free from the status quo and be like a bohemian woman going wherever, doing whatever, living for life, the joy of living, the love of its bringing. And I tremendously dislike it when others frown upon our differences, trying to submit the gypsies in us.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michelle Coleman

9 Years Ago

If I should pass through your part of the world in my gypsy home, I will pick you up for an adventur.. read more
This is one I would talk about over some coffee, but not "here" - because real words would be said and THAT requires listening as well as speaking. "Who am I? " is more than a question nor an answer.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michelle Coleman

9 Years Ago

But I was not asking who I was, but making a statement. 😉 yes, having a discussion over coffee is.. read more
Chris

9 Years Ago

...you would ALWAYS be welcome. THIS one seemed more apt to be an answer toward "Who Am I?" as a de.. read more
life is a void for fierce advocates to fill .. ;) i think i saw you ... for sure felt you .. at Yasgur's Farm ... yep .. pretty sure i did!
i enjoyed reading this .. it has given me pause to think about the things you have shared .. and marvel at one's life such as you speak .. very balanced flow in your language .. not too steep, not to bland .. i am somehow reminded of a tramp i met just outside of Indio Ca. .. he appeared as timeless as the desert
E.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"I do my best to place my intentions in the world so that my dreams may manifest>"

in the thirties you would have been called a communist.
strangely in the fifties you would have still been called one.
in the sixties, a hippy.
in the 80's a feminist.
in the 90's a branch davidian .
But in 2015 a poetess with a fixed and functional vision on what it takes to live. And then the
resolve to make it manifest.

a wonderful poem Ms. Coleman

dana
by 2001, after 911 a reformist.


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michelle Coleman

9 Years Ago

I have been called a communist more than once. Hahahaha and a hippy. And a feminist. Strange,y I do .. read more
Powerful soul create pictures of eternity, so you poem is picture of life itself. The journey inside your feelings and the study of fears and dreams; invite to believe on life.

I will be following your talent. Thanks for share your talent.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rewel Acosta Rivera

9 Years Ago

Your creative writing exercise was successful. You transform your ideas on vivid scenes. Write is a .. read more
Michelle Coleman

9 Years Ago

I love YOUR use of words. 😃
Rewel Acosta Rivera

9 Years Ago

Thanks!. You inspire to write it.
Seems like you are bored out of your mind. I recognise the feelings expressed.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michelle Coleman

9 Years Ago

Hi Frank. I used to travel a bit on road trips and I have not had the opportunity to do it in awhile.. read more
The metaphor at work here is outstanding. Just like the trees covered in their Spanish moss we lose our identity - get covered in modernity and consumerism and then look nothing like the real self - the real tree - the one we started out as.
Your magical mystery tour is a sublime trip - a trip for the soul with the mind in the driving seat Michelle. Im glad I came along for the ride. Thank you.
Thanks for the friend request - I'd be more than glad to. :))

Posted 9 Years Ago


Michelle Coleman

9 Years Ago

I love how you saw deeper into the Spanish moss trees. This made me smile.

Magical m.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

985 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 18, 2015
Last Updated on February 18, 2015

Author

Michelle Coleman
Michelle Coleman

ID



About
Stories have always been a part of my life, whether I have been reading, writing, day dreaming, or experiencing them. When I was in fourth grade, my teacher told me that I would be a writer one day af.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..