Rain and I

Rain and I

A Story by Riker

I stood with bare feet on the cold nighttime pavement of my backyard. Water seeped in between my toes as I watched with eyes wide open in fear of missing a single, beautiful moment.

The sky was dark and light at the same time, constantly flashing with bolts of lightning darting across the sky. Light rain fell on my face, yet I felt no need to blink or wipe them away. Booming thunder resounded in my ears after each flash, some louder than others.

Hail fell down and sizzled away in the puddles of water, yet none seemed to hit me. They painted the ground and water a chalky white, yet I still didn’t move from my fixed position.

I probably shouldn’t have been standing in the middle of such a serious storm, yet it was too beautiful to resist. I simply love the rain and storms in general, especially at night.

I remember another time that I was on a flight back to Sacramento from Washington DC, and nearly everywhere that we flew over that night had billowing rain clouds overhead and flashing lightning bolts accompanied by booming thunder. The turbulence was so bad that it felt more like a bus on a rocky road than an airplane in the sky, yet I was unbothered by it. The people that accompanied me were the opposite and I was attempting to calm my friend with every ounce of me, although I was calm.

I remember I was playing a fantasy adventure game that didn’t need wifi on my tablet, yet there was a certain part I couldn’t beat, so I gave up. I wasn’t wearing my headphones at the time, for I was listening to the calming rattle of the plane and peaceful thunder. The rain could not affect us from how high up we were, but I could still see it falling so far down below.

The lights of the cities below seemed to glow in the haziness of all the street lights. It seemed almost like a constellation or galaxy of yellow, orange and purple stars and gas clouds that were calming to my eyes. I remember that it nearly lulled me to sleep, yet all I did was lean my face against the cold window and stare instead.

I had occasionally looked around the plane for my mother or other members of my traveling group, and saw them scattered about the back of the plane, and it eased my mind even more. It came to the point where I tried to sleep, yet gave up again in favor of looking out the window.

I hope I never forget that galaxy of city lights.

© 2016 Riker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, just wow. The imagery in this is absolutely amazing! I could imagine every detail and the language you used was extraordinary but maybe you should try to describe how people were acting on the plane :D

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
1 Review
Added on November 8, 2016
Last Updated on November 8, 2016
Tags: rain, nonfiction

Author

Riker
Riker

Route 66, CA



About
Antisocial more..

Writing
Twist Story Twist Story

A Story by Riker


Painfully Grey Painfully Grey

A Poem by Riker