Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Phantom Symphony
"

The meeting of Kanra and Mara.

"
Mara Tamerlan never was a woman of faith. Even as a child, she was often put off by the ancient pastors and their speeches of damnation if one was not to follow the "Right Path". However, despite being twenty-two, she still forced herself to go to the same church house she had attended as a child. She really wasn't sure why she did so. Perhaps it was the fear of Hell or other punishments from divine forces.
The woman lived in the Bible Belt, in Western Central Missouri, in Sedalia. However, her personality and appearance did not fit the prim and proper Christian lifestyle. Her hair was often dyed in interesting colors, one week purple and even a bright green. For now though, her funds were low so she was stuck with the raven black hair. She was often complimented for her blue eyes that resembled those of a husky. However, now they were obscured by crimson contacts. The overly dramatic make-up did not help her situation. Eye shadow that was often black or some over the top color or crazy lipstick. 
Mara's personality was often believed to match her intimidating appearance. Whispered rumors spread around her and the chapel every Sunday. She seemed very dark and negative. The way she held herself with her head hung low and her shoulders slumped, often caused her to appear appalling to the old women who attended her church. Did it bother her? Nope. She honestly couldn't care less about what the old crones thought of her.
She was touching up her smudged lipstick which she had messed up while sipping her coffee.To her dismay, it was time to report to the church sanctuary to endure another excruciatingly lengthy sermon from the old fool, Pastor Anderson. She grimaced as she trudged into the large room filled with beautiful stained glass windows with the images of angels and in the middle was a depiction of Jesus. Her eyes went to the cross hung above them, a twinge of shame shot through her due to her stubborn behavior.
Again she was the last to be seated, taking her place in the back left corner. The day's sermon revolved around the Christmas celebration that was just weeks away. Mara quickly grew bored of the topic and leaned back into the cushioned pews and closed her eyes. She enjoyed the purring and warmth of the heater above her head as the droning voice of Pastor Anderson faded into the darkness.
After what must have been only an hour, Mara woke with a start as a small hand tapped on her shoulder in a gentle but firm manner. She took a moment to adjust to being awake. Her burning eyes traveled to the aisle next to her pew. There stood a young girl who looked about six or seven. Mara stared dumbly at the girl. Did she know her? No, she didn't look familiar. Meaning she was new to this "family".
The girl was beautiful, much like a Victorian doll. Golden curls spiraled along her back. Her cheeks were a rosy pink and just too cute. The dress she had on was perfect for her. A brilliant red dress with lace trimming. Though the sleeves were just a bit too long, it just added to her adorable appearance. The silence must have bothered the child because the hazel eyes that stared at her appeared to be puzzled.
"Miss?" Her sweet voice finally brought an end to the awkward quiet.
"Hm?" She grunted before realizing that she needed to thank the girl for waking her up. She really didn't want to but it was the polite thing to do. "Sorry...Thank you for walking me up," she mumbled and yawned softly before glancing around the pews that surrounded them. All empty.  There were no elderly women with overwhelmingly fragrant perfumes and no men with false silk ties. "Where is everyone?"
"They went home. Church has been over for a while now." The girl informed Mara.
"Really?" Mara was humiliated. Normally there were the old crones waking her up to gripe at her for sleeping during an important sermon. All of them were important according to them.
"Yes, Ma'am," She said politely, a hint of concern filled her voice,"Are you alright?"
Mara nodded before looking around once more. No one remained in the chapel. Then it hit her, if no one was in the church then where were the child's parents? She scanned the pews again. Still no one. Of course. What did she expect? A man and woman to just pop out and yell "surprise"?
"Um..Where are your parents?" she tried to sound casual but was growing uneasy.
"Not sure." The girl responded.
"Oh, alright..." Mara said with a slight frown. "Well, guess we should find them. My name is Mara. Mara Tamerlan."
"That's a pretty name!" The little girl said cheerfully,"My name is Kanra."
"Okay, Kanra," Mara repeated as she stood and stretched with a groan. "Well, they aren't in here. So we should probably look outside."
Kanra simply nodded and the two headed towards the front doors of the building. Mara gives one final fleeting glance around the room before leading the child outside into a hallway. As they walked down the hall, Mara frowned and crossed her arms. They were surrounded by the art of children for Christmas. Angels, Christmas trees and crosses. She passed them without a care in the world. Meanwhile, Kanra appeared to be fascinated by the colorful display. Her eyes were shining, much like the lights on a Christmas tree. Great, Mara thought, now I'm obsessing over Christmas decorations.
When they had reached the end of the hall and the doors, they looked through to search the parking lot. 
"Miss Mara?" Kanra spoke softly as she stood just a few feet away.
"Yes?" Mara turned and looked at her.
"I don't think they're out there." 
Mara fought the exasperation that threatened to taint her words,"Why not?"
"I don't know...I just don't." She whimpered.
"Then where else could they have gone?"
Kanra shook her head,"I don't know..."
Like an escaped prisoner, a sigh of irritation slipped past her lips,'Great..."
"I'm sorry, Miss Mara..."
"It's fine..." She mumbled before an idea hit her. "Why don't we look for your car?"
"Okay!" the girl sounded cheerful immediately.
The two spent, or rather wasted, twenty minutes trying to identify the few remaining vehicles in the parking lot. However, none of them belonged to Kanra's parents. Mara was aggrieved by the situation. How could she find the girl's parents if she couldn't even identify a freaking car? 
"Kanra?"
"Y-yes?" The child sounded close to tears. Mara wouldn't look behind her.
"You aren't a runaway are you?"
Silence.
"Kanra?"
A small sniffle sounded behind her. Turning around, she was surprised. Kanra was trying her best not to cry. The effort was obvious, her face was bright red. Almost as red as her dress. 
"What's wrong?"
"I just don't want to be alone..." She sniffled again.
Mara gave a sad smile,"Its okay...I'll keep you company."
"Really I can stay with you?" Kanra smiled a widely.
Hesitating, the woman nodded slowly but quickly decided to revise her statement,"Until we find your parents."
The girl smiled and held out her pinkie,"Promise?"
Mara smiled back and took her pinkie in her own. "For as long as I can." She said softly, uncomfortable with making promises that she may not be able to keep. She turned her back to the child and began her search once again.
After a long while of silence, Mara's heart leaped in her chest when she heard footsteps behind her. They sounded heavy. Much too heavy for a girl of Kanra's size. However, Mara turned, expecting to see a stomping little girl.


© 2014 Phantom Symphony


Author's Note

Phantom Symphony
First Chapter will probably not be that great. Just testing the waters while extending the original story idea. I just wanted to introduce the characters. I have the rest finished but I want to make it better...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on March 7, 2014
Last Updated on March 7, 2014
Tags: introduction, beginning, demon, haunting, possession


Author

Phantom Symphony
Phantom Symphony

Etowah, TN



Writing