the church woman's dress

the church woman's dress

A Poem by Phibby Venable

The Church Woman's Dress

This week it is debated
that the dress is too short,
a blatant flag to copulation.
Last week it was too long.
She fancied herself proper
and went to angelic lengths.
Meanwhile, from my pew,
I watch the heads of the women
sway bites across the brown benches.
I believe I see the problem,
but I am new here,
so I sit still with my opinion
wondering at the voice of sin.
But I believe it is her silky hair
and her gentle scent of goodness,
the way she doesn't notice,
when her eyes baptize the men.

© 2009 Phibby Venable


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this, absolutely, and I feel like i've heard it before but I know the church across the US and so many times that dress turns the preach's head... in the front row among the others .... what a great write.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Ooh, interesting. I love the wisdom and conscious detachment ("but I am new here") of the narrator.

There aren't particular parts of this poem that I would recommend changing, but I'd like for you to keep in mind something that you already seem to know well: assume that the audience isn't stupid, and therefore do not need to be told everything that is going on. Knowing this is one of your strong points, so don't forget it!

Posted 15 Years Ago


What a gentle, soft way to say something so very stark and indicting. Reading this, it occurs to me that God in his infinite wisdom, might have planted the seed of organized religion so that for at least 3 hours out of one day each week, all of the pompous, arrogant self-important people are off the streets and the rest of us can go about our business without the stared daggers of the "saved".

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is awesome stuff. Amazing, wonderful, true, awesome stuff. I've seen it many times.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Is it possible for something to be biting and gentle all at the same time? There is a certain edge to this poem, but there is no bitterness to it--indeed, there is a level of detachment here that is both to be wondered at and wonderful. Stuffs a whole lot of good into a small space.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1044 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 13, 2009

Author

Phibby Venable
Phibby Venable

abingdon, VA



About
http://youtu.be/25XE-BHGvWI http://youtu.be/B2klgDKMUq0 I live in the mountains of Southwest Virginia. Although my passion is poetry, I recently published a novel called, Women of the Round Tabl.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..