-Chapter One-

-Chapter One-

A Chapter by Piffinbottom
"

A chapter in which Arudin's fate catches up to him.

"
Arduin knew his luck had run dry when he found his back pressed to the castle wall, a guard's blade poised under his chin. Where steel met skin a tear had begun to form, sending a thin vein of crimson slipping down to the hilt of the sword. Arduin drew a deep and ragged breath, which only caused the weapon to press deeper into his windpipe.

            "Drop it, dog." The guard growled, his eyes darting between his blade and Arduin's clenched hand. Arduin stayed silent, narrowing his eyes and tilting his head to spit at the soldier’s feet. With a scoff of disgust, the guard removed the sword from Arduin's throat, only to plant an armored gauntlet into his stomach. Arduin doubled over- darkness tinting the edges of his vision- before he was pinned to the wall, the blade once again nestling against his neck.

            "I won't repeat myself." The pair of hounds that had cornered Arduin rose from either side of the guard, both emitting a deep rumbling sound that chilled his bones. Arduin's eyes scoured the alleyway furiously, attempting to find some means of freedom. To his avail, however, he came up short.

            "Fine, fine." Arduin muttered, relaxing his hand to allow a small golden broach to clatter on the stone beneath his feet. His calm demeanor angered the guard, he could tell, yet his silver tongue was faster than his mind and before he could refrain he bared a wolfish grin. With a facetious tone lacing his words, Arduin cocked his head while raising an inquisitive eyebrow and asked, "Does this dog get a treat?"

            Arduin noted how well his reflection shone in the knuckles of the guard's gauntlet before it collided with his nose, effectively rendering him unconscious. With a heavy sigh, the guard pet the dog by his side, and put Arduin's unconscious wrists into handcuffs before dragging him towards the castle.

 

~~~

 

            Arduin saw light shine through a crack in the floorboards where he was hiding, and he cautiously peered through, allowing his eyes a moment to adjust to the difference in brightness. He saw the king, a towering and fierce figure, looming over his father who rest on his knees, pleading for his life. Arduin wished he could yell, to warn his pleading father of the blade swinging down, but no sound was produced from his throat. Moments after the sound of severed flesh filled the air, preceded by a sharp gasp, then… Nothing.

 

~~~

 

The sound of the chain’s sharp rattle awoke Arduin from his dazed stupor, his eyelids fluttering open to reveal a dark cell around him. Daylight filtered in through a small barred window, nestled in the wall several feet above Arduin’s head, creating a perfect rectangle of illumination in the center of the room. Three of the four walls around him were composed of thick slabs of stone- layered upon one another to form a steadfast wall- and a barred opening from which Arduin could peer out from. A chain connected his wrists to a small metal facet in the middle of his cell; the tethers were just long enough so that when he lunged forward to attempt to shake at the door, his fingernails could scrape against the corroded bars locking him in. Arduin cursed under his breath before retreating, defeated, to the center of his cage.

Time seemed to move erratically while he was confined to his prison, the sun shining in between the bars either stuck and stuttered, or simply fled and gave way to twilight. Days upon days passed this way; the only break in this monotonous regime was when Arduin heard the shrill calls of rusted hinges being opened. Echoing footfalls soon filled the room, and a solitary guard stopped in front of Arduin’s cell.

“You, up.” He gestured with one of his hands while the other reached for a loop of keys fastened at his waist. Arduin opened his mouth to respond, yet to his surprise all that his throat emitted was a raspy cough due to misuse. The guard merely laughed at his feeble attempt of speech. “What’s the matter, thief? Have you finally lost your tongue?”

Arduin glowered at the guard before swallowing heavily and attempting to speak once more. “Where are you taking me?” He managed to whisper.

The guard circled around Arduin, removing his shackles and replacing them with cuffs. “Where do you think? It’s time for you to face your sins at the gallows.” He patted Arduin reassuringly on the shoulder. “Don’t worry, at least you will be able to provide some entertainment for our royal court, eh?” With that the guard shoved Arduin out the door and into the narrow hall that lay beyond.

Arduin drew a cautious breath, his eyes flitting from side to side as he passed the multitude of cells between him and the exit. His mood grew abysmal as he observed the contents of each. A murderer. A turncoat. A thief. A corpse. Every prison told a new story, yet they all lead to the same place; Arduin began to accept this and started to silently pray to any god that would listen. Before he could reach the door, however, Arduin heard soft footsteps echo from behind him.

            The guard guiding Arduin spun on his heel, his face contorted in a fierce scowl. “This area is off limi-” he cut himself off with a sharp gasp as his complexion grew pale. He suddenly dropped into a kneeling bow, pulling Arduin down alongside him. With a shaky voice he addressed the figure who now towered above him. “M-milady, my apologies, I was unaware you were planning to visit the dungeons today. I beg for your forgiveness Queen Diana.”

Arduin’s head jolted upwards at this, for he had heard many stories of the queen of Adreamus, yet had never lay eyes upon either her or the king. She was as stunning as stories depicted, he swore that before him stood a goddess among men. As her gaze flicked downwards and met his, however, he felt a warmth and kindness that knew no bounds; A feeling of tranquility rushed throughout Arduin’s soul, soothing his addled mind.

A soft bout of mirth escaped past her lips, and she too knelt so that she could address the guard. “It is quite alright, good sir,” She began, rising to her feet and ushering for the other two to do the same. “I merely ask for a moment of privacy with our guest.” The guard fidgeted uncomfortably, shifting his weight between his feet before responding.

 “Of course, my liege, I will be outside the door when you are ready.” Arduin felt the shackles at his wrist grow slack as the guard released his hold on the chains. Backing away, his captor began to depart, the rattling of his armor being the only thing piercing the otherwise palpable silence.

Arduin felt the crushing quiet bear down on his shoulders as the final echoes of the guard faded into nothingness.  Queen Diana turned to face him, a small smile gracing her lips.

“Pray tell me, how would you like to live to see the morrow’s sun?”



© 2017 Piffinbottom


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

48 Views
Added on January 30, 2017
Last Updated on February 27, 2017