The ruley education system - a speech

The ruley education system - a speech

A Chapter by Pippikeylock
"

This is a speech so imagine it being performed.

"
- A 4 million teenagers a year attempt suicide.
4 million.
The main cause? Depression.
Depression in teens is mainly the result of bullying. And we all know where the most amount of bullying occurs... the playground.
So why are we forced, by the people who say they love us, into the brutal cage that is school?

They tell us that we need good grades because we need good jobs. Because obviously the only thing that can make us narrow-minded beings happy is money. But I'm sure we can also all agree on how we are all told to 'just be yourself', 'be an individual' and there's the classic 'if (insert name here) jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?' Always being encouraged to not be the same as everyone else. But if we need to be different and we are all individuals then surely all having the exact same education and all being tested on the exact same thing is totally unethical.
Teenagers live through being told these conflicting life views whilst they deal with what goes on in their own lives, then when it all gets too much they are simply told that 'it's your hormones.'

Once we've survived the depression, the conflicting and confusing life views and fought our way  through the jail-like education system, we are given those all-important grades. Those grades that we have all been judged on 'equally.' Yeah right. Because judging a monkey, a fish and a goat to climb a tree is judging them and their abilities equally.

So much stress and pressure is put onto student (and their teachers) to obtain the highest possible grades. when really all these important grades are are letters on a piece of paper. Yet nobody cares what you've been through while desperately struggling to maintain a high grade. Nobody cares if you've spent your time traveling and helping the world instead of putting your full focus onto getting a grade that will then mark your identity forever. and certainly nobody cares what mental illnesses you've picked up while struggling through the hell-hole that is our education system. Because the education system doesn't care who you are.
It doesn't care about you at all.

We're all born into this capitalist society and expected to act the same way as everyone else and obey to the norms of society. We are expected to live through the same education as everyone else and expected to live our lives to the exact way that society wants. But we are not robots!
So go on - rebel and be an individual!
Because surely individuality is more important than some letter on a piece of paper.
So why aren't we suitable for a job without specific grades?
Why can't this simple 'accepting' society see that other people have other talents and we are all special in our own little ways?

Yeah so maybe you aren't the brightest kid in your Maths class, or your English class or any of your classes but you are special! So frequently the 'lower ability students' are labelled as this just because their brain is too full, hectic and creative to be maintained by the structural lessons. Their are to complex and complicated to focus onto one thing at a time. And the people who are categorized wit the said type of mind, good grades or bad grades, are the people who will really make a difference to this world.
Yet they are invisible because they don't have 20 A*s.
But Maybe.
Just maybe, there is more to life than getting the best label on your intelligence.


© 2016 Pippikeylock


Author's Note

Pippikeylock
Please give as much constructive criticism as possible.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on November 9, 2016
Last Updated on November 9, 2016
Tags: education, speech, education system, suicide, depression, grades, results