Episode Five: "Transparent"

Episode Five: "Transparent"

A Chapter by Christoph Poe

Episode Five: "Transparent"

The Collector knocked on the door but a few more subtle times. Gairee took herself back into her room, and I stared at the front door hesitant to open it. I remembered the incident the night before when he climbed through my sister's bedroom window, and then I came to my senses.

He turned to me from the bottom of the porch steps.

"Sir, can we help you?" I asked with a grog in my throat.

"It's no"not here."

I held my candle out and the wind tickled the flame. "Are you still searching for something blue?"

"Yes. It's blu-blue. It comes and goes like the wi"wi"wind. It's gone no"now."

I came outside onto the front deck, and wrapped my free arm around my waste. "You will be caught by the guards. Aren't you afraid?"

He said not another word, and disappeared into the darkness. I closed the door behind me, and locked the chains. Gairee stood in her bedroom door with her shoulder leaning against the frame. "What did he want?"

"He's searching for something blue. He broke into our home last night, and caused quite a stir. He's more or less why I'm here now." I rubbed my eyes.

"He's showed up here multiple times searching for the same thing." She explained. "The guards keep letting him go because he sleep walks. His abilities cause him to do so."

I sat on the worn couch, and thought as clearly as my mind would allow. "He says it's the same color as my hair. But I gave him my hair, and he said that's not what he was looking for."

"Do you know even what he does?"

I shook my head. "I don't fully understand, no."

"When he touches something, he can see everything the object has endured and as far back as when it was first created. Sometimes he can even seen when it will be destroyed."

"That's...amazing actually. I just wonder what this blue object is that he's so desperately searching for."

"I couldn't care less. He needs to stop knocking on my front door."

I rose my head. "I agree. He needs to stop attracting so much attention."

Gairee walked into the kitchen. "Just what could happen that would have a Human hiding? I mean, if I were Human I'd always be hiding. But you haven't been too concerned about it until just now."

I swallowed. "Krio, my sister's husband, isn't on good terms with the guard by the name of Patrix. I don't know what's going on, but it's not a good idea for me to be around him at the moment."

Gairee spit her drink out. "Your brother-in-marriage is Krio? Krio and Patrix have fought with one another since as long as I have been fighting in the streets. I don't exactly know why myself, but I know they'd kill one another if they could get away with it."

I looked over my shoulder. "You know this? I have never heard him speak of Patrix since I've known him."

"I'll add this: I believe it had something to do with your parents' death. I haven't a clue really passes that, but it may be something worth looking into."

"But how do you know about this?"

"Krio and Patrix used to street fight themselves, and they nearly killed one another. I'd say Krio in the end ultimately won however. He transported Patrix in the sky, and when he struck the ground he was knocked unconscious. Patrix broke both of his legs, his arm, his back and ruptured multiple organs. We were forced to go to the healers or else he'd die. After that, that's when the street fighting became illegal and the curfew came in place shortly after that."

"Have you ever killed anyone?"

Gairee's silence disturbed me. She sharpened her eyes as she drank, and peered at me as if I had asked the question that should never be asked.

"In spirit, I've killed many people."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean I've nearly killed many people. A lot of them have lost limbs, their eyes, hearing, and even brain function."

I inhaled, and said no more. I'd gasp if I knew it meant she wouldn't boast about it, but I kept my mouth closed. I wondered back into Kaze's bed, blew the candle out, and feel asleep.

My world changed little by little. That next day became one of the most labor filled days in my early life. Gairee left as soon as she woke. She told me "I'll leave so I don't get in the way. You have a lot to do."

I sneered when she closed the front door.

The evening came young by the time I finished the main areas of the house. The clean dishes sat on the shelves and inside cabinets, the counters wiped, the floors swept and mopped, the shelves dusted, and I squawked over the beauty of the coffee table in the living room now that it could be seen. Kaze's room however would be last. I decided it would be best to ask him where to put all of his personal items before I cleaned.

I ventured into the market for a while and passed by Mr. Trice's store. The sign on the front door said 'closed,' and with a heavy chest I ignored it.

'Matilda's Attire' sat just between the upper class and the lower class parts of the market. The prices there were often times higher than my liking, but on the right days I found something affordable. I needed new clothes. All of my clothes currently sat in my closet and I hadn't the slightest clue where my closet was at the time.

When I entered, a young woman greeted me with a scandalous smile and her arms tucked behind her back. "We welcome you to Matilda's Attire."

"Thank you." I said as I rushed passed her.

The windows and front door stayed open as a breeze swayed the clothes on their hangers and cooled the store. I quickly skimmed the wall, and found a light brown top with thick thread weaved around the collar and V in the chest.

The price bothered me. Four copper coins was two days of work at Mr. Trice's shop, but as I placed the top back on the hanger, the young woman who greeted me at the door rushed by my side.

"We've been trying to sell that for weeks now. I could probably talk to Matilda, and get you half off if you really like it?" She explained quietly.

I pulled it back from the hanger, and said as I looked it over in my arms "I really do like it. And that would be very kind of you. Thank you."

I listened from across the room as the clerk discussed the top with Matilda, the owner of the store.

One of them said not so quietly "Someone actually wants to buy the ugly thing?"

I bit my bottom lip, placed the top back on the shelf, and rushed out of the store before they could catch me.

A tree grew off the path just near the upperclass marketplace. Beneath it sat an old wooden bench. I bought myself a half loaf of bread, and a piece of ham and sat in the shade to eat. I looked suspiciously for Kaze to pass by, and at a building corner he stood in discussion with another man. He stood a few inches taller than Kaze, and with his back turned to me all I caught was his dark hair, and velvet vest with matching trousers.

I swallowed my food, and with my half loaf of bread in hand, I quickly skimmed by those in the crowd. An occasional eye rolled at me, but I gave them very little attention.

Kaze glared at me. "Are you lost?"

The wind picked up when I froze in my tracks. Confusion swept me from my feet as I waited for him to speak further. The strange man with the dark hair turned.

"Serenity." Patrix called toneless.

My chest fluttered, and my stomach cringed. With nothing to say, I stood in silence waiting for anything to happen.

"It's a disgusting day to be out." Patrix said with his brow inclined in a daze. "The heat is enough, but the light by itself could nearly blind you. There isn't a cloud in the sky today."

"I'm very sorry to bother you, Gentleman."

I turned my back.

"Are you truly this ignorant?" Patrix grabbed my wrist and swept me back. "Where is Krio? The sneaky b*****d is nowhere to be found, and I know it that you know where he's hiding."

My limbs grew numb, and my face widened in unknowing fear. Eyes began to peer, and the heat suddenly grew warm and cold simultaneously. I spoke rapidly. "I haven't seen him. I don't know where he's staying." Naturally, I pulled myself back from him as Kaze stared with a complete absence of expression.

"Your words are false. Your home is gone, wiped from the ground like a towel wipes spilled milk. Where are you staying?"

His grip tightened around my wrist as I shrieked. "I've been staying with him. I've been at Kaze's home."

Patrix swiftly peered over his shoulder as Kaze shook his head from left to right.

"Explain this, Kaze."

"I've never seen the woman before. I don't know her or what she's talking about." His tone rose.

"No." I wept and shook my head. "He's lying to you."

Kaze spoke as calmly as he'd ever spoke. "I swear to it, this woman is a complete stranger. I have no memory of her."

Patrix released my arm and I fell backwards, rolling with the fall as the dust plumed. The loaf of bread broke my fall, but was now unlikely to be eaten.

I shrieked, and no one came to my rescue. They gave me but a glance, and turned their heads.

Patrix lifted his hand as streaks flew from his pockets. A hard object struck my wrist, and tightened around it. It pulled me standing up no matter how hard I fought against it. My wrist now followed Patrix's movements.

"Serenity Avaloure, you will be held responsible for the crimes of Krio Lanrak unless he himself steps forward and accepts responsibility for his own actions."

Kaze kept to himself, quiet and emotionless, and watched as Patrix pulled me away. Glass laid around my wrist with no cuts or slices. It appeared as if I wore a bracelet, but the wondering eyes knew as well as I did they they were chains and my freedom would soon diminish.

I stumbled a few times, but the glass didn't stumble with me, and simply drug my feet until I caught myself. When my teas dried, and my adrenaline rush calmed itself, I said "You know I'm Human. You don't have to keep dragging me along. I'll follow."

He laughed. "If you say another word, I'll squeeze your wrist so tight it will rip your hand off."

The adrenaline caught back up to me, and I moved with him in the dead silence.

We moved around a patch of woods, and on top of a hill sat a lone building. It's walls dark yellow, and it's roof a targeting orange, it was the first time I laid eyes on it. The grass was cut to perfection inside a small spiked wooden fence that circled it. Guards dressed in dark clothes stood at every corner with a thin sword dangling at their sides.

"Is this where you're taking me?" My tone was small.

"You'll be kept here until judgement day."

I gained the courage to push for some luck. "I know about you and Krio."

"It's no secret." He said with his back kept to me.

"What did he do?"

"It's not of your concern."

The ring of glass nudged at me as he picked up his pace.

"I'd assume it is considering I'm paying for his crimes."

"The crime of which you will pay for has no connections with that of the one he blamed my sister for many years ago."

We passed through a gate, Patrix greeted the man standing guard with a nod before we entered the heavy door.

"What crime was that?"

He lifted his hand, and with aggravation strewn across his face, he clenched his fist and the bracelet tightened.

I fell to my knees with my arm hovered above me. "I'm sorry." I yelped.

He released his grip, and my wrist fell to my side. The glass morphed like water poured into a cup. It followed the movements of his hand, and fell into his palm as a ball. "The guards will kill you if you step out of this fence. I wouldn't attempt at escape."

Patrix leaned down and whispered, the heat of his breath against my neck. "Do you see that man at the corner there? The shorter man? He can create fire, and I wouldn't cross his path if I were you. Your face is too pretty be be molded in scares."
















© 2015 Christoph Poe


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
Added on July 8, 2015
Last Updated on July 8, 2015
Tags: Glass, guards, power, lie, lies, deceitful, gods, goddess, powers, love, triangle


Author

Christoph Poe
Christoph Poe

Tuscaloosa , AL



About
(I got this!) My name is Christoph and I'm from backwoods Alabama. It's really boring here, but the scenery is always gorgeous! I can't complain because its probably this environment that's brough.. more..

Writing
RECOIL RECOIL

A Poem by Christoph Poe


Hallow Hallow

A Poem by Christoph Poe