I Called Dibs

I Called Dibs

A Chapter by Hannah
"

Nichole....is a horrible bestfriend.

"

Chapter One---------I Called Dibs

 

The Girl Code (open to revision and addition)

 

1. Never Date your friends ex(this includes,ex friend,best friend,casual friend,acquaintance and the girl you sometimes smile at and say hi to) and I mean never ever EVER,even if she gives the ok...don't DO it!

 

2. If your friend calls dibs on a guy then you should stay AWAY, she has marked her territory and you should thus do the same.

 

3.If anything is whispered and or told between two people at an indecent time or when the two are alone then it is a secret...read it...SECRET

 

4. Exposing secrets is a no-no,your a*s will be slapped,beaten and tarred for that

 

 

That's the farthest me and Nichole had gotten with the list so far.I was the one who suggested it, and at first she was the one who opposed it,but over time she agreed to it. To be honest the girl code was a mental thing, a visual list of lines that girls shouldn't cross.

 

I stuck a fork full of salad greens in my mouth and searched the school cafeteria for Nichole. Why had she left me alone to eat alone and to look pathetic alone?.....That was the question. And I wanted a damn answer. She knew I hated to sit alone, if I knew she was going to flounce somewhere and leave me I would've brought a sand-which and ate in Mr. Seguls Classroom. I had done it my entire freshman year and I could do it again my Junior year if it meant I didn't look like a loser.

 

My chewing ceased as I laid eyes on her across the cafeteria near the exit to the lunch line.There she was clad in her favorite white miniskirt and platform heels talking to a guy. She balanced on one hand her tray of food and the other caramel colored hand she rested on his shoulder. I wriggled uncomfortably in my seat and felt the family pinch of dread as I realized she had obviously crossed rule number two.

 

2. If your friend calls dibs on a guy then you should stay AWAY, she has marked her territory and you should thus do the same.

 

That was Jody she had her hand on.MY Jody! The guy I had been eyeing since my sophomore year. The light bright guy with the strange hazel eyes, butternut skin,curly brown hair and the sweetest smile I had ever beheld.Ok....scratch that. If I was DJ-ing I would've scratched the record and stopped the music for dramatic pause to say....he did not have the sweetest smile I had ever beheld, but he did have a really decent smile. I was just being dramatic at the moment...

 

But she knewwwww

 

'Hell yeah she knew!'

 

She knew that I had a crush on him. I had told her! And there she was smiling at him! Flipping her long blondish brown weave and h-he HE was going along with it. He was in her trance and she was in command.

 

And she was dead.

 

'Skinned,Butchered and Deep-Fried'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that night as she laid on my bed flipping through Ebony Magazine I confronted her.

 

"Nichole you KNOW you're not supposed to flirt with Jody!"

 

She answered with a pop of her gum and a flip of a page.

 

I sat in the chair mama had stored in my room (as if I didn't have enough of her junk lying around in my room) and debated what I should say next.

 

To be honest....Nichole scared me. She was perhaps one of the toughest black girls I had met and on top of that she was smarter,prettier,friendlier and much more privileged.

 

And me...I was the geeky dark-skinned black girl with the glasses, a book always in my hand,socially inept,average looking and a smidge above poor.

 

I had met Nichole Lewis my Freshman year in high school...and it was completely by chance. She took pity on me, the lonely girl,sitting alone,talking to no one and frowning at everyone. I honestly didn't understand why she took the time out to befriend me, she had tons of friends,but yet she recruited me to be her best-friend.

 

A fact that she reminded me of daily.

 

"I thought you were still with Brian."

 

She snorted, "Kaci where the hell did you get that from?"

 

I wrinkled my brows and stared at her in confusion.

 

"But I-I just saw you with him yesterday.Hugged up.In the parking lot."

 

Brian had been Nichole's boyfriend for nearly a year. His complexion was the complete opposite of hers; dark(darker than mines) and rich, like Taye Diggs. He was a track star, bookish,tall,strongly built,friendly,sweet,romantic and not her type at all.

 

What I mean is.....he was nice and she wanted border-line rude.

 

"Sooooooo.That means nothing. Hell do you see all the guys I hug? Besides, I can use him until somebody else comes along."

 

I mentally added that to The Girl Code

 

Addittion: 5. Every girl must have a Mr. Right Now until Mr. Right comes along, Mr. Right can be a friend, an ex or some cute guy you play around with for the time being.

 

"So you don't want to be with him?"

 

She went back to flipping through the magazine and popped her gum.

 

I hated when she did that. I just wanted a simple yes or no!

 

"Back to Jody, you're not supposed to be messing with him."

 

"Kaci he doesn't want youuuuuuuuuu. Go find some nerd or something."

 

Once again I felt that familiar dread,accompanied with hurt. She had a way of changing  her attitude in person from sweet to mean. If she had been joking then I would've been fine,but from the tone in her voice she wasn't.

 

"But you don't know that." I balled my fists up and bit my lip hard.

 

Nichole laughed,popped her gum, laughed,popped her gum,flipped a page, another page and then she closed the magazine all together. She swung her skinny brown legs over my bed and sat upright. She looked like trouble.

 

"Yeah I do know that."

 

"H-how?" I asked. I could feel the tears forming slowly and hot pressure in my throat.

 

"Because I told him you liked him....and he said he didn't like you."

 

"WHAT?!" I nearly fell out of my chair from the shock.

 

3.If anything is whispered and or told between two people at an indecent time or when the two are alone then it is a secret...read it...SECRET

 

'She broke another rule'



© 2011 Hannah


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow thank you so much for your comment I really appreciate the encouragement and I will definitely post more for this, and I will be sure to check out your work as well!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I loved this, so much here that every girl I know can relate to. Keep it up!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 8, 2011
Last Updated on May 8, 2011