One moment

One moment

A Story by Little-Red-Writer
"

I can't really describe it...but it's a short story

"

      All it took was a moment for my whole world to change, one person for my whole world to turn upside in a split second. The person that changed everything was a nobody. A nobody who constantly wore dark clothes that hid any and all skin, even her dark chestnut hair hid her strange eyes. Her name was Jade, like I said, a nobody. The only way that I know her name is because I asked the lady at the front desk. She gave me a weird look but reluctantly gave me her name. It was only a whisper, a drop in an ocean, but that drop had all the power in the world. Being popular and all means that I don't really notice some girl unless they either a) date me/have a nice body or b) hang out with my group. And Jade had none of those qualities.

        I remember her sitting behind me in honors math class, and like always, her chestnut hair hid her part of her face. I quickly slipped a folded sheet of paper to her desk behind me. The paper said, hello, do you want to go to the movies with me? I was being a perfect gentleman! I expected the sheet of paper to immediately be handed back to me with the words YES printed on them, but I never got the sheet back. Once the bell rang and everyone was getting up to leave, I stepped in front of Jade. "Soo, is that a yes? No?" I asked, a smile played on my lips as I stared down at this small girl. Upon further inspection, I realized that I could see her knee caps through her faded jeans. Hmm.. She swerved past me and quickly ran out of the room. "So that’s a no?" I called after her. With a sigh, I ran my long fingers through my short blonde hair, getting ready to walk away when something glinted in the sunlight.

         I bent down to grab the small razor blade that was lying in Jades seat, the edges looked worn and the stainless steel was dull. I snatched it up and carefully shoved it in my pocket. I left the room and made my way down the crowded hall to the lunch room. Once I arrived in the noisy, crowded room I saw that our table was left empty. Of course it was, it was the "popular table". I sauntered over it, sliding into my seat. I pulled the razor from my pocket, turning over in my hand. Why in the world would Jade have this??

       I was yanked from my thoughts when I felt a warm pair of small hands cover my eyes. "Guess who!" A familiar voice tinkled the air, dancing around my thoughts. "Umm...Betty?" I asked playfully. I knew it was Lilly, my bright, chipper girlfriend. She smacked me in the arm and jumped in my lap, making me drop the razor. She smiled up at me, her blue eyes glinted up at me. "Soooo. You want to go to the movies tonight?" She asked, wrapping her bright red hair around her fingers. "Sure." I replied, bending down to grab the razor again. "What is that?" Lilly asked, her eyes followed the shining razor blade. "I don't know." I easily lied to her, but I could tell she didn't believe me. "You know, I was talking to Allison before I came to lunch and you know what she said? It was really funny. But she said that she saw you talking to Jade! How funny!" She feigned tinkling laughter.

        I said nothing and fiddled with the razor in my pocket. "Funny right?" She asked, her voice held a dangerous edge to it. "Yeah..Sure.." I said, not really interested in what she was saying. "Stetson, why were you talking to that freak?" Lilly asked, venom dripped off her voice. "Just talking." I answered blandly. She jumped off my lap and glared at me. "Why won't you tell me?" She whined. I rolled my eyes. "Cause, it's not really your business." I shot at her. Her mouth dropped open and her hand rested on her hip. "How dare you talk to me like that?" She hissed, narrowing her eyes at me. "Fine. Fine, why don't you go talk to your little freak again!" She yelled at me and stormed off, causing random kids to stare us but it only lasted a moment before the kids returned to their natural chatter.

       I was about to leave when I saw a familiar bundle of chestnut hair. Jade! I headed over to where she was, sitting by the door frame. I slinked over to her hunched body and saw that she was gently moving her pencil along a pad of paper, beautiful lines overlapped to make a stunning picture. "That's beautiful." I stated, causing her to jump. Once she saw it was me she looked back down at her paper but did not move her pencil anymore.

        I slid down the cement wall and sat by her. She stiffened up, as if there was something wrong with me. "I..Uh..I found your razor. You left in your seat, in math class." I quickly explained, extending the cold piece of metal to her. She quickly snatched up and grabbed her bag, heading away from me. Confusion raced through my head. I stumbled upwards and raced after her, I reached for her and my hand connected with her arm. She looked down at where my hand was and so did I, my hand had pushed up some of the dark fabric that covered her pale skin. The milky white skin was crisscrossed with red lines that danced up and probably past the fabric that performed as a shield.

        My eyes lingered on the angry red lines that glared up at me. Jade yanked her arm from my grip and shoved her sleeve down over what I had just seen. She turned on her heel and tried to run, but I grabbed her shoulder, stopping her. Her hair had fallen in such a way that it showed both her eyes. One was the colour of spring grass with honey gold specks, and the other was a dark, almost black colour. "What is this?" I whispered, worry danced through my mind. She did not answer me but only stared down at the ground in response. "What is this?" I asked, shaking her shoulder only slightly. Yet, once again, she did not answer me.    

       I sighed and decided to try again. "What-" "Why do you care so much?!" She yelled at me, her once quiet, almost nonexistent voice was filled with anger and sadness. Shocked, I let go of her shoulder and was speechless. She took the opportunity and raced down the now crowded hallway.

The bell for gym class rang, it pierced the air, causing kids to scramble to their classrooms. I was tired of this day already and I still had three class periods to go. With a sigh, I swooped by my gunmetal gray locker and grabbed my regular school bag. I was not finishing this day, besides, it's not like dad cared. I shoved my earbuds in and scrambled from the school building.

       I was on my way home when I saw a familiar bush of chestnut hair and a small girl looking scared. Jade. So she had left school too. I noticed that she seemed to look even frailer now, I don't know why but she did. I felt like something bad was going to happen so I quietly raced after her and followed her to a vacant looking brick house, vines crawled up the red bricks, and they seemed to caress the bricks with dark green leaves. There were dead, spindly trees that surrounded the house. Jade snuck in, she seemed as if she was trying hard to be quiet. I glided over to the thin-paned window and saw Jade in the small kitchen, making food. A man with graying hair and a large stomach sat in a mustard yellow chair, watching a show. The vibrant colours swayed along the walls.

       "Dog! Where is my sandwich!?" The man boomed his voice made Jade jump which caused her to drop the plate full of chips and a nasty sandwich. I saw her mutter something then the man, who I assumed was her father, waddled into the kitchen. His steps made the whole house shake; Jade looked terrified. The cold hand of fear gripped my heart as I watched the man grab Jade by her throat. Before I even knew what I was doing, I slammed the door of the house open and dashed to help Jade, who was struggling to her feet after the man had thrown her against a wall. Crimson blood flowed from her nose into her mouth, making it look like she had tried to apply lipstick but became careless with it. I turned my fear into anger as I faced the man who had been hurting Jade.

          I was the center of this man’s attention and I didn't think that was a good place to be but I had to help Jade, something about her intrigued me. "Who are you? One of my worthless dog’s friends?" He snarled, his yellowed teeth were exposed as he formed some sort of grin when he advanced towards me. On a normal day I weighed anywhere around 300 to 305 lbs. And that was all pure muscle, but by the looks of this man he more than likely weighed twice that much. "I'll show you to come into a man’s house without knocking and mess with his property!" With the last part he glared at Jade who shrunk down beside me.

        "You are not a man." I retorted and watched as anger exploded in his pig-like face. He stomped towards me, reaching his hands out as to grab me and more than likely strangle me. I ducked it, but he caught me in the ribs, making me drop to the ground. Pain buzzed in my abdomen. With a small grunt I hauled myself up and faced the man again. Like before, he had a smug Cheshire cat grin on his face. OH god, I wanted to punch that look off his fat face. He charged at me again. Move, a voice inside my head urged. Quickly I heeded the advice and swiftly moved out of the way. I could hear Jade gasp in the background. The man was like a bull, he wildly charged. He came at me once again. Once he charges, he leaves his nose and jaw area wide open. Get him in the nose, it will finish him. There was that helpful voice again.

        Time slowed down, I took advantage of the open areas, like the voice instructed. I felt my fist connect with his face, the bones cracked under my fist. He blinked a few times at me, swayed on his feet and fell to the ground. I turned to face Jade, who was white as a sheet, her odd eyes were on her father’s limp body. I limped over to her, she still lay on the ground. Upon further inspection, I saw that she was not wearing her long shirt or jeans. She was in a pair of ratty shorts that barely clung to her body, and her tank top showed her bruised arms and her protruding collar bones.

       My stomach churned and anger boiled in my veins again. I turned to the collapsed man and kicked him. My anger came out in the blows I was returning. "No! Stetson, wait!" Jade cried, racing over to me. She tried to pull me back but she wasn't strong enough to do anything.

       I came to my senses and whirled around to face her. Her hair was pushed from her face, her peculiar eyes stared up at me, and unshed tears hung them. "How-" I cut her off by pushing my lips onto her soft ones. I expected her to fight back but she melted into me, wrapping her slender fingers around my neck. I pulled away and smiled at her. A small laugh escaped her lips and she put her head on my chest. I picked her up bridal style and smiled even bigger when she let out a small yelp and laugh. I laughed and walked out of the house with Jade resting on my chest.

© 2015 Little-Red-Writer


Author's Note

Little-Red-Writer
This is an entry for a contest....what do you guys think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on July 24, 2015
Last Updated on July 24, 2015
Tags: short story, sadness

Author

Little-Red-Writer
Little-Red-Writer

wonderland with the madhatter



About
Hello hello * Im fifteen * Im a ginger! * I love to read, write, draw, and act * I hope to publish a novel here in my upcoming years * I love indie bands, and Nirvana! Bye! Wuv you! more..

Writing