Pretty Red Wall

Pretty Red Wall

A Story by ProfessorPadilla
"

This is a Journal entry from a person name Harley Throne's, after they experienced war first hand.

"

Dear Journal,

It's been three months since the war ended and I still haven't  left for home. I honestly don't know if I want to go home. Ever since John's death, life hasn't made any sense. I remember the look on his face when he was labeled a traitor for not shooting a man. He was thrown into a group full of traitors . Most of the men in the group were civilians who only spoken their native language. The captain brought out a row of men and put them against a wall.
The captain yelled at his man "These people are your enemy, so I want to count in your head; One, Two, Three, Reload." So all the men pointed up their guns. One, Two, Three, Reload. The captain brought another row of crying men. One, Two, Three, Reload.  The pile had grown larger and the air was full of widows howls. Finally the captain had brought out the last row of men. John was in the middle of the row, his face was pale and wet. Wet from tears that ran down his face as he moved up the line to meet death. His eyes were wide and lost as he looked at me. One, Two Three, Reload. His eyes were closed. The bodies were dragged off and thrown into a pit behind the church. As the army was about to head off, the captain turned to the wall and said " What a pretty red wall", and made his leave. Ever since that day I can't go outside without thinking about it. Everywhere I go all I ever hear is One, Two, Three, I can never stop myself from yelling " Reload!" At least in this town the locals understand why I do it. If I was to go home I would be marked crazy. At least here I am normal.

- Harley Thorne

© 2016 ProfessorPadilla


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You've defined so much in the few words! The whole life of a man you just captured into the few detaied words! That's great! I like the concept, especially when the captain said, "What a pretty red wall!" it's here ended! Impressive!

Why don't you continue this write?

Posted 10 Years Ago


ProfessorPadilla

10 Years Ago

Actually I'm going to be posting another chapter on 3/5/14 and every Wednesday after that!!:D
Stephen

10 Years Ago

Great to know! Thanks!
I really like your use of repetition here. It brings out the horror of the situation. The undercurrent of social stigma is strong even though it appears at the very end of the poem. It is so easy to label a person without even bothering to understand what they have gone through. Also, not only can this be prose poetry OR a short story, but you could even have " One, two three, reload" as a title. Very nicely penned. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

ProfessorPadilla

10 Years Ago

Thank you :) I was actually thinking about making an episodic series following this character's jour.. read more
Shaquana Adams

10 Years Ago

You should do that. Please let me know if you do!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

521 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 26, 2014
Last Updated on February 5, 2016
Tags: War, Life, Confusion


Author

ProfessorPadilla
ProfessorPadilla

Oxnard, CA



About
Hello everyone, I would like to apologize for absent these past 2 years. I've been trying to find myself and what I want to write about, well I believe I have found a new purpose for my writing an.. more..

Writing