Diary of a Psychopath-3rd installment(revised/rewritten 2nd draft)

Diary of a Psychopath-3rd installment(revised/rewritten 2nd draft)

A Chapter by Psyche
"

Isabelle finds that disposing of Luke wasn't that easy, because here comes Alex, Lukes brother. But is there more to Alex than meets the eye?

"
Warning
This Chapter is rated Mature and may contain material unsuitable for readers under 18.
Previous Version
This is a previous version of Diary of a Psychopath-3rd installment(revised/rewritten 2nd draft).



I was enjoying a quiet night at home, something I had forgotten how much I loved while Luke was around. I was cuddled up on a huge red velvet couch watching Nova on PBS and eating a huge salad with Salmon bites,(I'm a vegetarian, I do eat fish and chicken once in awhile but no sashimi. Sushi is NOT for me) when the doorbell rang. 'S**t! Who could that be at this hour'

I never felt ill at ease answering my door, like fearing it was a rapist or a burgular. I was a black belt in several forms of power martial arts, and lived in a nice neighborhood. Just the same I always played it safe. "Who is it?" I called out through the door while I peeked through the peephole. I saw a tall man with curly black hair, olive tan skin and dark brown eyes, he sort of looked like a younger Benjamin Bratt.

"Umm, Sorry to bother you like this Ms. Burns. You don't know me but I am a friend of Lukes."

He said haltingly. "Yes?" I said still not wanting to open the door. Damn! I knew Luke had friends but I didn't know he'd opened his damn mouth about where I lived!

"Well...uhh, you were the one to report him missing. So I thought I'd come by and see if there was anything you remembered or knew that could help me in my personal search."

He paused, sighed and ran his hand through his mess of curls. "Look I know it's late, I'm sorry, it's just he was my best friend since grade school. I don't know if I trust the police to do the best of jobs in this case." I sighed in turn and realized this was going to be tricky. If I turned him away it would look like I didn't care and then they might become suspicious of me.So I put on my best exhausted and caring face and answered the door.

"Hi" I said with a sad note in my voice, not looking at him but at the floor.

"I just can't believe he disappeared in my neighborhood of all places. It's usually so safe here, sorry I gave you the runaround. I just was spooked." I blurted out like I was a nervous and frightened woman who suddenly saw the city closing in on her.

I glanced up to see if he bought my routine.

He looked grievous for even knocking on my door at such an hour.

'Good you little prick' I thought with satisfaction but I continued to look down as I swung my door open wider and invited him in to my penthouse apartment.

My apartment was the envy of everyone in the building. dark wood floors covered in oriental rugs

my red velvet couch that sunk in comfortably when you sat in it. I had a modest t.v. since I was not yet ready for a hi-def whatchamacallit. I had three walls covered from ceiling to floor books in side by side dark cherry wood bookcases.

just like I did at work, filled with novels, fictional novels on crime, physics, philosophy and my favorite, Psychology. True books on that stuff were hidden away in my private bookcase in my bedroom tucked neatly and inocously away in the corner of my massive bedroom.

Interesting stuff psych. was. A soft science at best, it was the one thing my mother feared the most as I was growing up. When I was about eight years old my mother had me take an IQ test, psych evaluation test, cat scan, MRI, and a psychiatric test. She would never tell me the results but after that she forced me into dress after dress, made me take charm and etiquette school every summer, forced me into community service programs, and insisted I volunteered at the hospice center. I didn't mind the latter, I liked to sit with the cancer patients that were barely holding on and look into their eyes as they took their last breaths. The Hospice center said I was the most caring and devoted girl to my patients they'd ever seen and gave me a glowing recommendation on my resume for college. Still my mother fretted. I learned to like seeing her like that, all nervous and jumpy with fright, like I might do something totally off the wall and unexpected. It was like she was afraid of me, and that made me feel...powerful.

I motioned Alex over to the couch and turned the t.v. off, my mind worked so quickly that I already knew he would soon be one of my targets, he looked at me sideways when he thought I wasn't looking and I could almost read his mind. No it was just that men were so predictable he was hoping I would console him and make him feel better about losing the one person that made him feel better, and who would be the best person but the one that cared about that person the most?

I turned my head and looked him squarely in the eyes, He was nice looking, looked of mixed race and had a straight even nose, profile and chin. Something I liked to look at, definitely reminded me of Benjamin Bratt. Something tickled at the corner of my mind just then, I tried to grab the thought but it danced away before I could grasp the meaning. Hmmmm.

"So what is your name? And what are you hoping for me to tell you?" I asked directly and I knew a little too harshly, I was supposed to be playing the bereaved with him and so I dropped my eyelids and turned the corners of my mouth downwards to ease the harshness of what I had just said.

"My name is Alex ,Alex SilverHawk and I just wanted to know if he was acting unusual when he left or if you actually saw him leave that night. Or if you saw his car still here in the morning, or if you remember anything unusual?",

"Well, Alex, I'm Isabelle. Umm to be perfectly honest the night ended like any other. I mean I walked him to the door, we said good night. And I really didn't think to look out the window to see if he got to his car alright. I mean I thought this was a good neighborhood." Again I looked him directly in the eyes, but I lowered my lashes and chewed on this inside corner of my mouth, trying to look thought provoking. "How did you first discover he was missing?" he asked, and this time he gave me a piercing look, much like the one I had given him moments before. It was unsettling. 'Uh-Oh' , I thought quickly, 'How did I notice he was missing....' But my subconscious, genius that it was supplied the answer smoothlt from my brain and to my mouth, before I even had to think on it. "Well his work called me saying they couldn't reach him on his home phone, business cell, or personal. So I tried calling them and it went straight to voicemail. At first the cops tried to give me the runaround that I had to wait 24 hours, but I pushed and finally got them to say they would at least check into it for me." He sat back and thought on that for a minute, chewing on the inside of his lip as his mind processed this new bit of info.

" Now I have a question for you. Did anyone not like him? Have a grudge? Anything like that?"

I asked softly as if to say it nicely but still like I was probing him as much as he was me.

He sat back on the couch for a moment and thought.

His eyes looked off somewhere in the distance, again, that I couldn't see and I imagined what his eyes would look like when he took his final breath. It caught my breath in my chest.

"You know," He started, "There was this one girl. She was what I called the 'Trifecta of Scary'

She stalked him for about six months afterwards. Hacked into his email accounts. Called him day and night. Peeped into his bedroom. And followed him home from work."

"Wow." I said genuinely amazed. To think a girl that desperate for such a despicable gender. Mind bending. Really.

I shook off the thought and got back to what Alex said..."He finally got a Temporary Restraining Order against her and managed to keep her away. That was a year ago.

"Well, did you tell the cops about her?"

"Of Course."

"What did they say."

"Just...We'll look into that."

I made my face into a mask of crestfallen. "Oh"

"Yeah doesn't sound very promising"

"Well I am sure cops don't want to give false hope"

I looked at the clock. 3:30 a.m. flashed on the DVD player.

Crap.

"Umm I hate to break up our sleuthing team thing...but I have to be at work in five hours and really need sleep. I have a minor surgery to perform tomorrow."

"Wow. You're a doctor?"

I made a small modest smile. Damn right Mother F****r.

"Well just a veternarian"

"Oh that's so great, you love animals. Me too."

"Well," He said,as he stood, "I'll let you get your Z's"

" Call me at the office tomorrow, " I said with a grin.

"Maybe we can have lunch and do the whole Scooby Doo thing again" 'And maybe I can get just close enough to see what you're eyes will look like as you take your last breath. the thought was dizzying. I felt a like a hunter purveying the land, picking out her prey. I felt....powerful.

Alex smiled back,"Yout Got it." And he headed for the door. Oh, I will have fun watching his eyes snuff out. I laid against the closed front door just letting my mind imagine what that heavenly creature would look like as he winked out of existence. She pictured his eyes, looking at her with fear and understanding, like he realized it was her that bested him. But then HER eyes pierced the reverie and the moment was ruined. I felt ill to my stomach again, And just stalked off to my bedroom passing straight out on bed without changing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was the midday shift for Cooke and Wallace and they decided to break for lunch at this terrific little greek mom and pop joint they discovered after a robbery led to shootout happened next door. They're lamb and beef gyros were amazing! Cooke took a bite and savored the sweet flavors of the sauce with the nice bite of the onion and the cooling sensation of the cucumber.

They sat in silence as the munched down. It was a nice day out, not really unbearably hot yet not cool either. Just the tale end of Spring when Mother Nature warns you of the unending heat coming. Cooke liked the heat, he'd lived in the desert his whole life afterall. He was used to this climate, plus since he'd gotten passed 35 the heat eased the pain in his joints that were starting to creep in. 'Ugh!,' he thought with disgust as he looked down at his body, 'barely forty and my body is already betraying me, you used to be a finely tuned machine.' he thought with contempt to his aging body. Before Cooke could ruin his lunch further with thoughts of passing over the hill, his cell phone rang. He flipped it open and answered immediately, "Cooke....Hey, so how'd it go? You think so, huh? Well did she slip anything out? hummph, well it's definitely her though. "

Wallace looked at Cooke with keen interest, this sounded like it was going to be an interesting afternoon afterall. Cooke finished the call with, "Hey, don't do that man, it's not smart....well off duty your life, but...okay just be careful. You know what she's capable of." Cooke flipped the phone shut and tossed down his gyro. As good as it was he stomach stopped being hungry the minute he answered that phone.

"So," Wallace said after a minute when they started heading down to the station, "You gonna clue me in on the mysterious call, or do I have to read your mind like last time?" he chuckled after he said that, remembering the last time Cooke tried to hold out on him with a lead. "Hey," said Cooke in mock protest, "That was sheer dumb luck, my friend." He clears his throat and check his mirrors, which Wallace knew was a tic of his, 'This means he's gonna drop a bomboload on me. ' he thought in anticpated excitment. 'Oh boy, here we go!'

"So," starts Cooke, "It turns out that the victim, Luke Denisoff, is an adopted brother to a brother in blue." he lays it out there heavy to sit in the car for a moment. "Whoooooaaaa!" Says Wallace in a half yell, half cheer, "Well this just means all the stops are being pulled out on this one!!"

"Yeah," said Cooke, "Well it gets better, he's a cop from North LV, detecitive too, second grade, real sharp tack, if you know what I mean. So he decides to go off duty to the suspects house for us to ID her so we can have the element of surprise, he went over there as the bereaved brother! We got positive ID, and found out a little bit about her, but against my own ipinon SilverHawk has decided to go full in cover and get close to this woman, find out her personality and motive. We should have a working psych. profile by MONDAY ....TOPS!!!" he said this all in a gratifying rush. Wallace and Cooke were of course angered that a fellow blue man had lost a family member, and when you lost someone in the family(The Police Dept. Faimly) they don't take it easily. "Oh," said Cooke almost nonchalantly but you could tell he was saving the best for last, as if he was finally being vindicated for his never failed gut hunches, "Alex says she gives off the typical signs of a sociopath. So we may be seeing more from her. Did I tell you I suspected as much or what!" With this statement though the elation bubble burst and the two detecitves were back to reality as they realized they had no hard evidence on what two gut hunches told them was a budding sociopath, and there would have to be more bodies and evidence before they would be able to nail her. The loss of so many lives weighed on their shoulders. They knew that if they weren't smart enough, cunning enough, and in her thought process from day one, it may be a LOT of dead bodies they'll be stepping over before they can finally arrest her.

'Damn,' though Cooke, 'What ever happened to the fun of being a cop?'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



© 2009 Psyche




Reviews

Awesome, I love your creativity and imagination...I will rate and add more input after I read each work over again.

But you have captured my spirit...

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow, All I can say, Thats amazing.
I loved it.
Thats some horrific stuff. =)
I like the way you were so detailed about her thoughts and intentions. How she was sooo fascinated with death. I guess we all have our little fedishes. Thanks for sharing. That was great

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

30 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 15, 2009


Author

Psyche
Psyche

Las Vegas, NV



About
Masters in Psych. and love to read and write. Started out with prose and poems and worked my way up to short stories. But now I am on the big ball, working on my first...well...I guess you could call .. more..

Writing