MY TAKE ON YOU

MY TAKE ON YOU

A Poem by Dwain Dowdy
"

Opinion of a friend

"

Using the night to watch you
There's something you need to know
You're prettier than you think you are
Your opinion of yourself is too low

Just I do, and everyone else,
You find all your personal flaws
Just know that as many as you think you have
Others have more, and their personality it gnaws


You have the most pleasant attitude
When you're bullshitting with your friends
Your higher understanding of life
Makes an honest friend of which I depend


Everyday I'm thankful for you
And happy our paths have crossed
To have met each other solely by chance
You're a true blessing I hope never to exhaust.

For Maranda Turnbow
by Dwain Dowdy
10/03/2019


© 2019 Dwain Dowdy


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I once overheard a man talking with another lady about me, unbeknownst to them. I heard him say that one of the best things about me was that I didn't know how beautiful I really was. Our consciences are like mirrors, which, over time, become fragmented by the thoughts, words, and deeds of others. If we are criticized, we will be critical. If we are told that we are imperfect, all we see are the imperfections. I think we project ourselves in the way we think others want to see us (think Robin Williams). If we are sad, we don't want others to know that we are sad; and we don't want to bring others down. So, what do we do? We pretend that we are happy. We put on that smiley face, and everyone thinks we are happy. We build walls for shelter but wind up keeping others out. We can be in a crowd and feel all alone. The smile on our face never reaches the heart. It can be a very lonely place. If your friend seems to be one way and it's contrary to the way she feels, she will never see herself in the same light. It's a matter of re-messaging, overwriting the negatives with positives. Ansel Adams once said, "There is nothing worse than the clear image of a blurry concept." He was so right. How you see her is a reflection of you.

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

47 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 3, 2019
Last Updated on October 3, 2019

Author

Dwain Dowdy
Dwain Dowdy

Wickliffe, KY



About
I'm 49 yrs old. A US Army Veteran. I've been a musician for almost 40 years now. Song writer and poet. I suffer from PTSD and depression which are influenced on my writing style. I find it therapeutic.. more..

Writing