Lori

Lori

A Story by Puella M. W.
"

Lori is a librarian, and one day as she was working as usual by the library counter...

"

 

The library was not cheerful that morning; it was different, at least for the librarian. “Excuse me,” said a voice. She looked up, it was a boy. He was peering up into her face innocently and holding a packet of chips. “I’d like to borrow a book.”
 
Lori’s face instantly changed into her motherly librarian look. “Yes, dear?”
 
She checked out his book, giving him the slip of paper with the due date on it. “Anything else?”
 
“Nah.”
 
He didn’t move. Lori felt a little awkward.
 
“Would you like to borrow another book?” she asked.
 
“Nah.” There was an uncomfortable silence. Lori forced her smile to stay steady.
 
“What do you want then, dear? Do you need help finding a book?”
 
“Nah.” He turned and walked away. As he did so, his chip packet fell down. It was empty.
 
“Excuse me!” she called quietly. “Please pick up your rubbish.” He didn’t even turn around.
 
Sighing again, she stood and picked up the packet. It wasn’t a chip packet; it was a piece of colored paper. She read it. Meet me at five. C.  Lori looked up after the boy, just as he was opening the door and walking out. “Hey, wait up!”
 
The boy didn’t turn as she ran to catch up and grabbed his arm. “Who gave you this, dear?” she smiled suddenly.
 
He looked blankly at the sheet of paper. “Huh?”
 
“You dropped it by the counter.”
 
“Oh… that one…”
 
She nodded fakely. “Yes, this one. Who gave it to you, dear?”
 
He suddenly wrenched out of her hold and fled down the street. Lori looked desperately after the running figure, then back at the line suddenly forming by the counter.
 
Back at her desk, a man slapped three books down on the table. A cigarette stuck out of his lips. “I’m sorry, no smoking in the library,” she reminded him, gesturing at a sign.
 
“I’m leavin’, I’m leavin’,” he said brusquely. He took his books, but left the due-date slip.
 
“You forgot your slip,” she said.
 
“I’ve got it right here, lady,” he said, waving it under her nose. She looked back down at the paper on the desk. Be there or else by the potted ferns. C.
 
This is ridiculous, thought Lori. She threw the notes in the bin. “Next?”

 

© 2008 Puella M. W.


Author's Note

Puella M. W.
I want to expand on this scene, but this particular story has me in a writers' block. Any ideas? Please also give me comments for improving this scene.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
me
Ok...of course I had to read this, since my name is Lori (awesome name!!). This needs help. The dialogue is very stilted. It is hard to determine who is talking or why they are saying it. And the little boy needs to leave and come back or the excuse me is not needed. You understand what I mean? I am really good at picking apart people's stuff and making grammatical suggestions. If you want some help, PM me...and I don't mind doing so. This could be an intriguing story depending on where you want to take it. Does someone have a motive to kill or kidnap her? Do they have a crush on her? I know several guys who have a thing for librarians.....hahahaha....

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

299 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 30, 2008
Last Updated on December 30, 2008
Previous Versions

Author

Puella M. W.
Puella M. W.

MI



About
I am a crazy geek who loves writing. I've not been published yet, mainly becuase I have no idea if my writing is good or not. Please, tell me, or at least read it! P.S. My best piece of work I ever wr.. more..

Writing
Stump Stump

A Poem by Puella M. W.