An Empty Bowl of Nothing Soup

An Empty Bowl of Nothing Soup

A Poem by AG

It is curious and downright remarkable

How lust turns to awkward recollections

Of mornings wasted in anticipation

Of the coming night of temporary passion.

Do these flames flicker still

When our eyes set to collide on busy streets

Smothered by friends and repressed memories?

 

Where does infinity go?

Does the moment die? Does it morph into things?

Does it flow like a viscuous blob

And fall into a cerebral abyss?

We keep the memory in sacred boxes

But the moment is yet to be reclaimed.

 

What lucid thoughts come into mind

In cavernous crevices of my daily routine.

Even the empty bowls of mushroom soup

That stand and listen in the kitchen sink

Remind me of forgotten, sticky residues

Of our consumptions and shared intentions.

 

Clumps of dried soup around the brim

Remain a nuissance to my neurotic head

A tight grip on my solitary sponge

Is what I bring besides the acerbity

While I prepare to wash dirty plates

During my 10 o'clock shift.

 

Perhaps a bullet through my skull,

Or another regrettable foible

Will suffice to reanimate my sense of consistency.

Your eyes are chained to my ankles

Like heavy balls of iron that spawn malignantly

From the empires we made from nothing but nothing.

 

© 2011 AG


Author's Note

AG
important note: this was written by a hopeless 18 year old, Filipino boy taking up Journalism who loves reading comics, watching TV, playing video games, is into debate and surprisingly has not had any girlfriend before. go figure.

and no, i'm not gay.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

there's a lot of really interesting phrasing in here.."reaninimate my sense of consistency", etc.

I've been pondering this topic alot..not just in the context of teenagers, but romantic love in general..

I'm a bit more like you..didn't date til I was 28..am into wordplay that borders on the absurd...etc.

we do waste a lot of time on passion and infatuation, when we should be focusing on the love that's everywhere..

"That a marriage ends is less than ideal; but all things end under heaven, and if temporality is held to be invalidating, then nothing real succeeds. "
John Updike

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.



Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

Blatant old woman prattle about to happen here (you've been warned) maybe you haven't been in love yet. Maybe right now you should learn all the best ways to love yourself. Develop those qualities that will best serve you in a relationship. Be ready for small miracles. Sometimes love sneaks up on you. When you aren't looking for it. Be ready.

I know how much you prize critical review. But really, I could say nothing here that would add or detract from the work you've done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

there's a lot of really interesting phrasing in here.."reaninimate my sense of consistency", etc.

I've been pondering this topic alot..not just in the context of teenagers, but romantic love in general..

I'm a bit more like you..didn't date til I was 28..am into wordplay that borders on the absurd...etc.

we do waste a lot of time on passion and infatuation, when we should be focusing on the love that's everywhere..

"That a marriage ends is less than ideal; but all things end under heaven, and if temporality is held to be invalidating, then nothing real succeeds. "
John Updike

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is a very nice piece of work. SPAWN, second line from the bottom. I suffer from the same dyslexia at times. lol It was a little hard to follow in places. I fail to see how a bullet in the head would improve one's sense of anything, for example. In fact, it would eradicate all your sensory perception, the good with the bad. I feel that Plato had something when he said that love could only be maintained where sex was not an aggravating factor. That said, I'm not certain abscence or abstinence makes the heart grow any fonder at all. It could be that it only produces the desire to quit and give up on love. But as you point out here(quite wonderfully too) those excitements are often temporary and transient. This was some very impressive writing my friend. Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Compartment 114
Compartment 114

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

632 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 4, 2009
Last Updated on June 17, 2011

Author

AG
AG

Los Angeles, CA



Writing
Initial Filth Initial Filth

A Poem by AG


Fish Fish

A Poem by AG



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


this kinda blue this kinda blue

A Poem by Rain


Rodomontade Rodomontade

A Poem by AG