Brandon Unlimited Chapter 2: Secrets and

Brandon Unlimited Chapter 2: Secrets and

A Screenplay by Q-Works
"

Chapter 2 of the offbeat superhero story"Brandon Unlimited". This time his father explains his secret origins.

"

10 Years ago on Brandon's 7th birthday, Mark Otter, who is his father, who also happens to be the world's greatest super-hero Equality, explains the world to our young hero.


Mark:....Brandon...do you know why I am talking to you today...?


Brandon: uhhh....because I hid my peas under my plate?


Mark:.... No, even though thats bad, but no, thats not it...


Brandon: So I'm not getting punished?


Mark: No, not now...your mom's cooking...yeah, I'd hide em too...


MAAAAARRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKK!


Mark: I love you!


Mark clear his throat and then bends down and puts one arm on Brandon's shoulder


Son...You're...different.


Brandon: You mean like...my skin? All the other kids make fun of me because I'm lighter than them, and my eyes are green, but Mama is black, and you're white.


Mark: Don't let what the kids say get to you son. Things don't make sense to them now. You just make sure you are doing the right thing. Never belittle another person or make them feel bad for being different. Play with everyone. You understand?


Brandon nods


Mark: Good. Now son, I wanted to talk to you about your project...your “Family Tree”. Your mother says that you don't know anything about my side of the family. Well I will tell you-


Brandon: Yay!


Mark: I am...*sigh* I am NOT from this world.


Brandon's eyes widen


Mark: I am not even from any place you heard of in your Science book. I am from a planet called...well, there is no name for it, so we shall just call it “De La Soul”.


Brandon: De...La...Soul?


Mark: Yes son, De La Soul. Its a very long way away from here.


Brandon: Like to Granny Tasha's house far away?


Mark: Yxcept no cows and no annoying man wanting to wash the windows for $.25! Whats more is...I'm not who you think I am...


Brandon: Are you a stranger?


Mark: No son...I am not just a comic book writer. I am also a super-hero.


Brandon: For real?!


Mark: Yes son. It is true. I go by many names, but the one that Earth humans are quite fond of is “Equality”.


Brandon: My dad...is EQUALITY!


Mark: I am...but you must NOT tell anyone. Also, what I am about to tell you, let it NOT leave the house...


Brandon: Are...you gay?


Mark: WHAT?! Where did you hear that word?!


Brandon: Well Shays' mama said the reason why his dad isn't around is because he was so gay. I thought because you are always gone, you must be gay too...


Mark: Son, do you know what that means?


Brandon: When a boy likes a girl, then he runs away and marries her without telling anyone...


Mark: Uhh...sure! Yeah. Thats what the word means. You are so smart! High five...


Brandon puts his hand up and puts his tiny hand in his father's


Mark: My son...one day, you will go through some changes. Your voice will get deeper. Hair will start to grow in places where it didn't before. You will be interested in girls-


Brandon: EWW! YUCK! COOTIES!


Mark: Yes, indeed, "the cootie". But it will happen to you. But most importantly, You will start to get these...strange...”powers”. Maybe you'll be able to lift things you normally couldn't. Maybe you'll be able to run really fast. Maybe you'll be able to read minds like your mother...I hope you don't though...


Brandon: Will I...be able to...stretch myself?


Mark: I...even I don't have that power...uhh, why would you want it?


Brandon: I just wanna see my own butt when I walk!


Mark raises an eyebrow


Well outstanding....


Brandon: Yeah, thatll be so AWESOME!


Mark: Ok about that family tree! The reason why you don't know anyone of them is because when I was your age, they sent me on the test of manhood. They wanted to see to see if I had what it took to be a random planet's hero. Long story short, I did. I was sent to Earth to be its chosen hero. I found out soon that Earth humans were always in danger of some sort. So in summary...I don't know my family.


Brandon: Wow...


Mark: I know this is a lot of information to take in in at once, but I trust that this is the right age to tell you...


Brandon picks his nose and looks at his booger.


Mark: I...guess?


{--Now--}


Lucille wipes her forehead off


He's stable now.


Brandon: MOM! Where did you learn that stuff?!


Lucille: Over the years, you pick up little medical secrets. Especially with your father. He heals rapidly on his own, but what you don't see is the tireless medical treatment that I've had to give your father. This ain't the first time he's been like this.


Brandon: He got handled before?


Lucille: Plenny times. Its the first time YOU seen him like this.


Brandon: I feel kinda...bad now. I was so ready to put the blame on him yet again. Now hes hurt because of me.


Lucille: Hey! Don't be like that! He would NOT want you sad on YOUR birthday! Thats what bein a hero means kiddo. You put yourself in the line of danger so people can live. Yes, he might not understand having a family, but he actually does it for us. Because he loves us.


Brandon: Big...jerk! Now I wish he would've just completed his mission...


Three knocks come on the door while they are talking


Lucille: Its Alicia. COME IN!


Alicia opens the door lightly and walks in


How is he?


Lucille: Hes good. Stable for now, but I'll be awake all night, making sure he is well. You kids...*sigh* go eat. Cakes on the table, and dinner on the stove. Just don't do anything stupid. Use a condom Bran. Alicia, use the door. Leave us now.


Brandon: But-


Lucille: WHAT I SAY?! GO!


Brandon: Yes, mam!


Alicia grabs Brandon's hand and pulls him out the door, closing it behind them.


Mark then opens his left eye to look around the room


Are they gone?


Lucille: Yeah baby. You almost ruined it!


Mark: Me? You were tickling my spine. Do you know how that feels?


Lucille: Actually...


Mark: Never mind. So what do you think?


Lucille: You mean keep lying to our son?!


Mark: Yeah. Look, I know I haven't been the best father and husband. But this is my chance to make it up to you guys.


Lucille: I don't know. I just have a bad feelin bout it.


Mark: He won't get in too much trouble. Even if his powers DON'T come, I'll zoom over to his location, beat up the bad guy, then zoom right back into the house before he knows what happened.


Lucille: Are you REALLY that fast?


Mark raises his eyebrows seductively


Lucille: But...what about the girl..?


Mark: All covered baby. Nothing can possibly go wrong...


{---Flashback to last night---}


Mark: Can't you get the A-List?


Person on the other end: The leader will do it.


Mark: No? OK OK! I'll be there soon!


When Mark gets dressed and flies away, he goes to the A-List secret hideout, which is an abandoned orphanage


Equality: I'm looking for Incredigirl!


A female figure steps out in a hood and cloak


Right on time!


Mark: GIVE ME YOUR BEST SHOT!


The female powers up her hand and grabs Equality's chest, blowing his chest apart and exploding his uniform.


Female: I wasn't too hard was I, sir?


Equality: No...this was just right...Now, if you will...*cough* destroy my beard too!


Female: Yes sir...


Fast Forward 15 Minutes ago


Lucille: COME ON! HANG IN THERE! BRANDON'S GETTING TOWELS!


Mark smiles


Lucille: What the hell?


Mark: Hey baby. How are you?


Lucille: What is goin-


Mark: I can explain...but I need you to know that I love you and Brandon very much. And I need you to understand that I'm doing this for you!


Lucille: What do ya-


Mark grabs Lucille's hand and puts it on his heart


You see, my love. I'm serious. I want Brandon to take over being the hero. I will keep this injury and stay around the house, learning and sharing experiences with you two.


Lucille: But what?


Mark: Nevermind that. Just know that I will be around a lot more. It was the only way I could think of...


Lucille smiles with tears in her eyes


You big idiot!


Mark pulls her in close and they share a kiss.


Lucille: But what about your wounds? They healin'!


Mark: Slice me open! Pretend to perform surgery on me. That way when the boy comes in, it makes you look very cultured. Give him some sort of excuse if he asks any questions.


Lucille: Ok. Close your eyes, and cover your ears...!


Lucille takes a deep breath then screams


DAMNIT! WHERES THEM TOWELS! TAKING TOO LONG!


{---Now---}


Brandon and Alicia go upstairs to his room


Alicia: Well...


Brandon: Well what?


Alicia: Did you think it over?


Brandon: Hell. no.


Alicia: WHAT?! You just saw that!


Brandon: And? My dad has EXTREMELY fast healing! He'll be back to normal soon.


Alicia: YOU SAW THE WOUNDS! He's gonna be out for a while!


Brandon: Then YOU and YOUR team can handle it!


Alicia: I TOLD YOU- IT HAS TO BE YOU!


Brandon: You seem to be putting A LOT of STOCK in ME! I DON'T HAVE POWERS! I TOLD YOU!


Alicia: But...I MAY know why you DON'T!


Brandon turns around and grabs Alicia by the shoulders


Really?! OK! LETS SAY YOU DID! THEN WHAT?!


Alicia: Hear me out before you turn away! I think, the reason why you don't want to be a hero is because...YOU DON'T!


Brandon: What?


Alicia: You despise your father. You're afraid that you will hurt anyone close to you the way you've been hurt. Subconsciously, you're blocking-


Brandon: Nah!


Alicia: THINK ABOUT IT! You posses the GENE, you HAVE TO! The human mind is a powerful thing.


Brandon takes his hands off Alicia's shoulders and walks over to his window


I know what you're saying...but...I just don't want to take the risk...what if...what if you're WRONG?


Alicia walks over and puts her hand on Brandon's back


Then you'll be a hero without powers until your dad gets better. Then you can stop. But...I'll do everything I can as your mentor to make sure you develop into a fine hero and person.


Brandon: You make it sound easy...


Alicia throws a straight jab into the air


As easy as throwing a punch!


Brandon: I have a feeling...that I'm gonna regret this...but ok! I'll let you train me.


Alicia: Yay!


She runs up and hugs him nearly crushing his spine


Brandon: Eep.


Alicia: I'm sorry! You WON'T BE SORRY! Training starts tomorrow. See you in gym class!


Brandon: But...But why Gym?


Alicia: Think about it...


Alicia powers down exposing her bra and panties


Brandon: I think you forgot...


Alicia: Nope, we have to be TOTALLY open with each other now...student! Gotta go!


Alicia opens Brandon's window and winks at him just before doing a cartwheel out the window and into the night.


Make sure you think of a naaaaaaammmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!


Brandon: Why do I feel like I'll be regretting this soon?

© 2012 Q-Works


Author's Note

Q-Works
Chapter two of the seminal, offbeat superhero slice of life adventure story "Brandon Unlimited"

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on April 10, 2012
Last Updated on April 10, 2012
Tags: Brandon Unlimited, Q-Works

Author

Q-Works
Q-Works

Atlanta, GA



About
Hi my name is Quatez Reid. I am a comic book writer/artist from Atlanta, Georgia. My stories primarily deal with the power of friendship, a deeper meaning to life and existentialism. They are also .. more..

Writing