Smoke in The Rain

Smoke in The Rain

A Story by Quasi-Motorolla
"

A short story about watching smoke rise from a crematorium in the rain.

"

A halo of parking lot lights surround the ash-stained smoke stacks of the mortuary highlighting the smoke as it rises to the clouds’ outstretched arms. Life reduced to ash. The hearse pulls away from the garage door while the driver slackens his tie, unbuttons his shirt’s top button and wipes the sweat from his forehead smearing streaks of black across his skin. Heavy eyes like lead marbles weighing down his wrinkled face.

Through a veil of rain and fog, I watch the empty hearse drive into the night from a cold lawn chair on my patio, cigarette burning to my knuckles in one hand, my last glass in the other, cracked and dripping whiskey onto the pavement where a zigzagging line of ants are taking turns drowning in the golden puddle.

“Who do you think that was?” She asks, feigning sadness, both hands wrapped around a coffee mug of red wine as though the cup could keep her warm, her chipped nail polish matching her cork wedges purchased from some trashy thrift store. Vermilion.

“Who knows.” I reply without taking my eyes off the closed mouth of rain and road that swallowed the hearse.

© 2015 Quasi-Motorolla


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your imagery is top notch. I can see everything you are describing. I want more of this story! lol c'mon man. You are a good writer. Give me more next time.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Quasi-Motorolla

8 Years Ago

Unfortunately, that is all there was to the story. It was an odd moment and nothing more. Nothing be.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
1 Review
Added on July 16, 2015
Last Updated on July 16, 2015
Tags: rain, smoke

Author

Quasi-Motorolla
Quasi-Motorolla

Lincoln, NE



About
I have always really enjoyed writing but I put so much of myself in my writing that it has always been difficult to share with people I know so I am trying a new approach; sharing with people that I d.. more..

Writing