Escape

Escape

A Chapter by QuinnRose

Payson paced back and forth, the small led clock on the wall displayed 4:45 PM in bright green lights. He ran a frustrated hand through his brown hair, glaring at the numbers. Preston was late, again. Payson generously had offered to help the new Alpha form into his new role, but with how little he cared about anything it was proving to be difficult for him.  Eric turned to him, a stern look crossing his facial features. “Calm down Mr. Kinsley, he already informed you that he is on his way. Pacing will not bring him here any faster.” Payson briefly flicked his gaze to the man, "I asked him to be on time for once in his life. If this meeting does not go well for him, he will lose his role as alpha!" He growled, slamming his fist down on his desk. “I am held responsible for his growth, every little decision he makes reflects back on me. I will not be made a fool.” The man knew that it was not an exaggeration, the Northern pack is placing a lot of pressure on Payson. With how lousy Preston is proving to bbe, it’s as if he is running two packs at once. "Payson, Eric is right. You need to calm down, we will get this straightened out with him. I'm sure Preston will agree, he is still a novice alpha, you’re the best man for the job of teaching him how to be a model alpha.” Austin scratched lazily at his scruffy chin. Payson sighed, nodding to his brother, "Alright, Let's begin the meeting.” Outside, a fiery red corvette skidded to a stop, peppering the front Payson's office building with gravel. Preston slipped out of the drivers seat, turning the vehicle off with the small black key pad in his hand. He whistled a jaunty tune as he entered the familiar office. Nancy, the receptionist, smiled up at him batting her lashes like the rest of them. "Good evening Mr. Khol." She purred leaning over to show off her ample cleavage. Preston dropped his gaze appreciatively, "Well, well, someone got a new bra." She giggled pulling herself upright as another towns members entered the office."Mr. Kinsley is in Conference Room 3, I wouldn't keep him waiting any longer." She raked her gaze down his body before nodding her head in the direction of the room. "Later babe!" Preston called, flashing her a bright smile before disappearing down the hall. Nancy turned her attention towards the middle aged woman she recognized as Claire, the bar owner, standing in front of her desk. "Good evening Claire! What do you need?" She asked sitting back down in her chair. "Evenin' Nancy, is Payson in? I need to have a word with him, it's urgent" She stressed the last word, hoping it would get her to him faster. “Well I'm sorry Claire but Mr. Kinsley is in an important meeting. I could schedule you for tomorrow morning, if that is okay." She offered clicking open the dated scheduling system they used. She trailed her curser down the small colored blocks on the calendar before stopping at the only available time slot.  "We could do 10 AM tomorrow morning." "It can't wait that long, could you have him drop by later? There's a free brew in it for him." Nancy smiled at the offer, anyone who really knew Payson, knew he wouldn't turn down a free pint.  “Of course, I'll let him know." She shined one more smile in her direction, then turned her attention back to the screen in front of her. Claire turned, releasing a long breath as she headed back out towards her bar.  ___ Two states away Quinn rushed around their apartment, stuffing the bare necessities into her suitcases. She rushed to the bathroom grabbing her toiletries stopping briefly to examine her eye. A bruise formed where his knuckles had hit earlier that morning, leaving an ugly black and green crescent shape around her swollen eye socket. She inhaled sharply spinning from the mirror, back out into their room. If she looked at it any longer she would breakdown again, that was precious time she just could not afford to waste. Her car was nearly packed to the brim with her belongings. Boxes, trash bags, and old suitcases packed the small space within. She figured she had enough room for two more suitcases before the car would reach capacity. Quickly, she zipped the bags shut, shoving them out the front door towards the concrete stair case outside. Her eyes scanned the apartment once more, a numbness filling her chest as she shut and locked the door.  With her car packed to the point of bursting, Quinn backed out of their assigned parking space and sped off towards the exit. She flew over the speed bumps, skidding to a halt infront of the apartment's office building. Key in hand she strode in and held it out to the woman at the front desk. A large red haired woman greeted her, her gaze flicking from Quinn to the key in her hand. “ How can I help you?" She asked flipping open a large binder filled with sheets.  “ I need to turn my apartment key in” Quinn replied, setting the key down of the wooden desk infront of her. “Apartment number?” The woman asked Thumbing through the pages. “Twelve forty five." Quinn replied sliding her ID from her back pocket. "I'll need your--" She glanced up to see Quinn's ID held out to her. "Why are you turning your key in?" She asked jotting down her driver's license number on the sheet. "I dumped my boyfriend." She stated simply, sparing her from the sordid details. The woman dug through some files before opening one with their apartment number printed on it. "Well since you are not even on the lease, you're good to go. Have a great day!" She forced a fake smile, handing her ID back to her. 

"Could you do me a favor?" Quinn asked as she pulled open the heavy glass door leading outside. "Let Peter know his spare key is that the office.” 

The woman gave a quick nod before turning back to the paperwork infront of her. Quinn rushed to her car, a grin tugging at her lips. ‘I’m free’ she recited in her head as she pulled out of the complex, heading towards the free way. The only person aware of her plan was her Aunt Claire, whom she had hurriedly called to inform she was headed her way a few hours earlier. With no siblings outside of Arizona, Quinn had only her to rely on. Claire immediately agreed to have her stay with her once she had explained her situation. It had been years since they last saw each other, Quinn hoped she wouldn't be too put out by her sudden appearance. 

The Imperial March blasted through her speakers, causing her to jump from her thoughts. She glanced at the display screen on her dash, Peter displayed in thick white letters on the small screen. With a deep breath she pressed the green phone icon on her steering wheel and forced a normal tone. "Hey!" She greeted nervously, her heart pounded in her chest as silence ensued on the other line. "Why is your location turned off?" Peter asked, his voice eerily calm. “I'm running a few errands for you, I didn't want you to see where I was going. I wanted to surprise you." She responded, her voice cracking with the lie. "You wanna tell me why the apartment complex called and told me you turned your key in?” He hissed, Quinn’s heart dropped in her chest. He knew. She hadn't expected them to call him so soon, she had hoped that she'd be out of town at least when he found out.  "I--" She stuttered, "I don't want to be with you anymore." With the admission of this, it felt like a weight had been lifted off of her chest. Anytime she tried to be honest with him about her feelings, he either hit her or turned it around on her. It felt good to tell him the truth without fear of the impending repercussions of her words. "I am on my way home, I expect you to be there when I arrive." His voice grew cold. “No." She stated firmly. The sound of squealing tires on his end of the phone startled her. Her heart broke for the poor innocent people that had to deal with his road rage. “You are mine b***h, and you will do exactly as I f*****g say, do you understand me?!" He screamed, his calm demeanor vanishing. "I will beat you into next week for talking back to me you little s**t. When I get home, you will be there. When I get home, you will be punished. Do I make myself clear?"  "You can't talk to me like this any more, we are through. I packed all of my belongings earlier, I have no ties to you! I'm already out of town so there's nothing you can do to stop me." Her strength cracked a little at his out burst. Silence filled her car, she could feel the storm brewing on the other end of the phone. Before he had a chance to guilt trip her, or change his tactics she hung up. The speakers beeps twice signalling the end of the call, Quinn slid her menu up on her phone enabling Do Not Distrub mode. 'Free' She thought once more, speeding towards her freedom.  ___ Payson impatiently tapped his fingers on his desk as Austin finished writing up an addendum to their peace treaty. His aggravation had grown through out the meeting after Preston waltz in without an explanation. They had been mid-argument when he decided it had been time to grace them with his presence. Contributing almost nothing to the meeting, he blindly signed his name at the bottom of the blank document and left before it had been completed. Payson could hear him flirting with Nancy as he left, planning to meet her later for a drink at Claire's. Eric, Austin, and Payson sat huddled around the table re-reading, and making necessary adjustments to the form. Once completed each man signed their name next to their pack's coordinating emblems. Eric quickly made three copies of the document hand them out to Austin and Payson. Austin neatly folded his and slid it into his back pocket.

"It's been fun gentleman, but I have somewhere I need to be now." Austin announced, grabbing his coat from the back of a chair. Payson walked to him, they both reached out, wrapping a hand around the other's forearm. 

"Until next time" Payson stated, quickly releasing his hold on Austin's arm.

Austin strode towards the door, but lingered in the doorway for a brief moment. "You know, if you were more forceful with him he might listen to you." Payson hadn't had the time to respond before the man disappeared out the door. Eric approached him, handing him Preston's copy of the addendum, "Make sure this gets to him, yeah?"

"Of course" Payson sighed, taking the copy from the older man. 

"I know this isn't what you want to hear..." He began, securing his faded tan ball cap on his head, "But your brother is right. He thinks of you as equals, there is little respect between you two." With that Eric left the festering Payson alone. He grabbed his coat and office keys, heading towards the front desk.

He stopped in front of Nancy, typing away at an e-mail. 

"A gift" He stated sarcastically, holding the paper out to her.  She turned to look at him and frowned as she scanned over the document.

"Seriously?" Her eyes met his, "Another one? Isn't this the third one this month?" She asked taking it from him and neatly folding the document to fit in an envelope.

"Fifth" Payson groaned pinching the bridge of his nose between his thumb and index finger. "These old men are really getting on my nerves" He growled glaring at the door leading out to the street. 

"Well, you are the big boss man around here now. Unfortunately, your responsibility includes all of this." She gently waived the envelope in front of him before sealing it closed with a wax pressed seal. She gently blew on the golden wax until it solidified, then tossed it in the outgoing mail bin on the edge of her desk. 

"Oh, by the way Claire dropped by for you. Said there was something urgent she needed to discuss with you. Mentioned a free pint if you hurry." She gave him a smirk and stood and grabbed her purse. "I've got a date!" She cooed gesturing for Payson to lead the way out.

"You know he isn't serious about any one right?" He held the door for her, securely locking it behind them.

"Well the only person I want to be serious about me, isn't into women." She teased, leading them both towards the main street of town. It was a small enough area a ten minute walk could get you just about anywhere. Payson gave her a brief glance before replying.

"You know that's not true, I have more important things to do than chase women that's all."

"You sure it's not because you're holding out for a mate" She asked, knowing she was encroaching a sensitive subject. 

"Nancy." He warned, his tone cold. "The only thing I'm holding out for is hope that our packs can leave in peace."

"So noble." She commented as they turned the corner a few blocks from their destination. "But don't you get lonely? Mating is so rare now a days, isn't it easier to sleep around?" 

He sighed, Nancy wouldn't understand his reasoning for not sleeping around. Everyone assumes that it was because of Valerie, and she may have played a role in his decision. But the truth of the matter was that no woman in this pack or any other pack interested him. There were two categories they all fit under, the strong independent type that preferred to boss their spouse around. Or the type that sleeps with anyone and everyone in sight. He honestly didn't know what his type was, but he was sure that when he came across her he would know.  


© 2018 QuinnRose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

52 Views
Added on June 13, 2018
Last Updated on June 15, 2018
Tags: wolf, werewolf, romance, mature, teen, love, paranormal





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5