A Risk Worth Taking

A Risk Worth Taking

A Story by Royce P. Hunt
"

I actually wrote this for an english assignment in school :P turned out pretty good (according to my classmates) so I decided to post it on the web :)

"
She knew it would be a risk, but she believed it was a risk worth taking. I couldn't agree more! Because winning billions worth of pure diamonds is a dream few haven't had! It so happened, that there was a robbery at the house of Lorenzo Bardock, an Italian diamond-mine owner; who claims, that the giant rock stolen from his residence's safe, was and a half tonnes pure diamond with zero impurities. The location of the stolen rock was just recently traced.
Word has it, that it has been hidden by the robbers in a cave at Mount Etna, on the Sicily island, south of Italy. The path up the mountain is very dodgy and dangerous, and the volcanic fumes covering the atmosphere around the 2 Miles high hill are highly toxic and dense for an aerial approach. The only possible route to take is by land, and most of it by foot.
Edna Jacob. the famous dare-devil, from San Marino, plans to go and retrieve the giant rock. The owner of the mine promises 40% of the diamond to anyone who finds and retrieves it for him.
"Wow!" I said, reading the newspaper article.
"I know...!" squeeled Edna, full of excitement.
"But how exactly do you plan on reaching this said cave? It says here that the forest around is too treacherous for any vehicle."
"I'll walk of course!" Edna replied with a wink.
"Well, good luck! And, just take care of yourself alright?"
"Obviously Ed!" said Edna in something that sounded like a fainting sigh. "And thanks", her expressionless face suddenly changed into a grin.
I smiled half-heartedly.
"Don't worry! I'll be fine, I'll miss you!" she gave him a very concerned smile
"Yeah!"
"But I really need to get going now! Take care of yourself, I'll stay in touch by E-mail!"
"Bye!" I finished.
Edna left the room with her thick canvas ruck-sack on her back, and a satchel containing her leather hiking boots hanging on her shoulder.
Sitting motionless and waiting for the sound of her car-door, attempting to get over the fact that she's leaving, I heard the sound of a car door being slammed shut, followed by the sound of an engine roaring to life. I then heard her hummer leave the parkway. I couldn't help but imagine what I was going to do with that much money in my hands, I sure hoped it would buy me a pair of legs at least.
"How stupid could a world-class robber be to get himself caught after such a dangerous maneuver?" I thought aloud. "Such a successful robbery, such a perfect hideout. Yet a life sentence waiting for him at the court."
I turned my wheel chair around and started my regular bidding.
*
It's been three weeks now, since Edna had left. And I only heard from her once, three days ago, when she told me she had successfully reached the foot of Mt. Etna. She had left her hummer at a ramp, in a town about 20 Miles behind her, in Catania City. All she carried now were her hiking and camping gear, and supplies, enough for almost 20 more days. So I hoped she succeeds in due time.
*17 DAYS LATER*
I was setting up my dinner when my palm-top gave a loud beep. I knew at once that it was another mail from Edna, so i rolled my wheelchair to my desk as fast as my arms would allow. I flipped it open, almost jumping with excitement...
My eyes stared into the screen, while i stared, petrified and stunned at my palmtop. When I regained my consciousness, I dropped at the back-rest of my wheelchair by the shock of what I had just read. Horror struck! I scrolled down to read the remainder of the message, but that wouldn't change anything; A tear rolled down from my hazel eye, as I stared without sight into my sister's words, (her last words)!
"Edward! I'm inside the cave in which the robber hid the diamond. The huge rock is just lying there, only feet away, but I am unable to approach it. It's a pity how I came this far, but was unable to achieve my goal.. I've run out of oxygen! And the air surrounding me is too toxic to breath without a mask. I underestimated the dangers of this journey. I wish you still had your legs so you could attempt this tour with the precautions I lay down for you. I breath my last gasps at the moment as I type down these words, at the mouth of this killer cave! I pray for you a safe, healthy happy and successful life!
Love, Edna" 

© 2012 Royce P. Hunt


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

300 Views
Added on August 29, 2012
Last Updated on August 29, 2012
Tags: a risk worth taking diamond trag

Author

Royce P. Hunt
Royce P. Hunt

About
I am twenty years old. An amateur writer/ poet. I have a facebook page i.e. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Royce-P-Hunt/160220504044582 and I am currently working on a novel, other than which i do po.. more..

Writing
Phase II Phase II

A Story by Royce P. Hunt





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)