Existence

Existence

A Story by R.M.Allen

The earth turned a heavenly soft white as the snow fell. He slept through the night, snoring contently as he lay dreaming. Abruptly jolting up, he began gripping his chest, gasping for air, desperate to fill his lungs with the once sweet air that now seemed to try to tear him limb from limb as he sat; eyes wide in shock. His gentle features were overcome by confusion as his gaze became shifty, darting from object to object in the room that seemed much smaller in the unusually dim lighting. Muttering inaudible words he moved his legs over the edge of the bed, readying himself to stand.

Stretching as he stood and began walking, still half-asleep toward his bedroom door, he slowly shuffled down the hall. It became difficult for him to breathe again. It was as if his lungs were being agonizingly crushed, slowly, by an unknown force inside his body. Successfully ignoring it, he made his way down to the bottom of the stairs, pausing on the last step to search for the light switch. Flipping it up, he waited for the room to be ridden with bright light but nothing happened. He flipped it once more, twice more, three times more, in a sudden panic. Spinning around, darkness consumed darkness until the light of the moon shone bright, almost laughing at him manically. He began running, barely managing to keep his footing as he tripped up the stairs. It felt as if eyes were watching him, staring at him, taking in his whole being like the darkness devours everything in its path; as if it’s a ravished pack of wolves.
His feet slammed against the hard-wood floors and his heavy breathing was silent in his ears as he thrust the bedroom door open wide. He came to an abrupt stop, eyes wide. The moonlight poured into the room, washing both floor and bed with an eerily dull, and colourless light. A body lay still, silently, hidden within soft blankets strewn about the bed. He walked closer, reach a pale hand out to yank back the sheets anxiously.

There he was; himself. His eyes bulged out from his head as he took silent and quick steps back from the empty body. Dead, cold, and pale, he laid. He was no longer; slipping slowly from existence until he vanished. He didn’t exist; he never did.

© 2016 R.M.Allen


Author's Note

R.M.Allen
I wrote this for an English assignment Sophomore year... My teacher was very confused by it and I wasn't quite sure how to explain it which is why there's no description. T^T

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on December 13, 2014
Last Updated on December 5, 2016

Author

R.M.Allen
R.M.Allen

Kaiserslautern, Rheinland-Pfalz / Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany



About
I stumbled upon this website at the age of 16, and have been busy with school since then. Now that I have graduated at the fantastic age of 18, I do hope to be able to re-write my work and be more act.. more..

Writing
Fall Back Fall Back

A Story by R.M.Allen


Waterfalls Waterfalls

A Poem by R.M.Allen


Wither Wither

A Poem by R.M.Allen