Preface

Preface

A Chapter by Rachel Renee
"

The Greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. ~Stephen Hawking~

"

Preface

 

I sighed as I rolled the rock into a ditch in the ground. Too bad I hadn’t developed any powers with my new look. This cave was strange, but gave me strange comfort as I left it and returned with arms full of sticks to use as firewood. I shut my eyes and held out my hand, palm down, to the sticks after I arranged them around the rock.

“Fire,” I breathed, squeezing my eyes shut. Nothing happened. I even opened one eye just to make sure, but….Nothing. “Oh come on!” I exclaimed, kicking the rock with my foot. I cried out in pain as my toes made impact. I wasn’t wearing my Combat boots anymore.

I fell backwards, my feet stretched out in front of me; with a sigh and sob as tears started to fill my eyes and cloud my vision. I wrapped my arms around my chest, wishing I wasn’t totally helpless and powerless. What good was being magical when you couldn’t do anything?

With a sigh, I hit the back of my head against the cave wall, letting out a large ‘oomph’ sound as I did.

I sat like that for a while and then gave up, moving closer to the fire I resorted to ‘caveman’ antics. I put a leaf on a rock and twisted a stick around in the palms of my hand to try and cause a fire. I was like that, for close to an hour and my stomach started to rumble. When I could smell smoke, I quickly leant down and blew gently, causing a flame to erupt and the small flame to ignite against the other kindling.

Now I had warmth.

Scrape…

Rattle…

Tap…

The sound was quiet but it was enough to make my head snap up and make me jump. I looked around, but there was no source of the sound. I walked out the front of the cave but there was nothing. No animal, not even a breeze that could have caused it.

Hesitantly and on my guard, I re-entered the cave and sat by my fire pit. I crossed my legs and sighed.

Scrape, rattle….

Rattle, tap…

I looked up again and this time, it was like I had x-ray vision. The giant round object I had pushed into the centre of my fire pit was glowing from the inside. A fait yellow colour with veins like fruit cells surrounded a darker shape, with wings. The wings themselves were almost transparent and bat like.

My mind was reeling and I heard a creature of some sort howl outside, not too far from the cave. I scooted closer to the fire and sat there, staring at the silhouette until I couldn’t anymore. My stomach growled again, shifting my thoughts very quickly.

This creature was a baby of some kind, and this rock was its egg. If it was a baby, it would be hungry, and I had no food, or water and this creature would not know how to hunt; but it would find a small frail part-human part-faerie with no powers, and find it an easy food source.

 



© 2011 Rachel Renee


Author's Note

Rachel Renee
This is the Preface for Aldrose.
I would really love any Criticism, good or bad.
Thanks a lot.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
Added on July 12, 2011
Last Updated on July 15, 2011
Tags: love, night, alone, future


Author

Rachel Renee
Rachel Renee

About
Name: Rachel Renee Home Planet: Gallifrey Music is My Religion, My Passion and My Life. ~When you write, there is nothing else except you and the page. And when you begin, the only thing that hol.. more..

Writing