Our History

Our History

A Story by Dodanis Brewer
"

A long loving story about me and my best friend Rico. What we went through during these passed years together.

"

"I met Rico about less then 4 years ago when I used to live with my Mom (In an apartment) When the rain stopped I went outside to explore a bit. My favorite activity was to catch lizards and find some Iguanas (Which was really hard to do there) I walked behind the apartment and caught up with a hatchling fella wondering there. He was about a day or a few days old. I was pretty young wanting to have a pet for once (I wanted a puppy but we couldn't afford one) I decided to catch him and hold him as my pet. I went upstairs to show it to my mom and ask her if I could keep him. She let me know that it takes a lot of responsibility and care to do that. I kept him in a cup of grass and tiny rocks for him.

 

Few months later after my visit at my dads house (My mom would let me and my brother go to my dads house each Friday to spend the night) I already hold 2 cute monkeylalas and... my first iguana... I kept them in a container or topless tank that my dad ask someone to build for me. So now I kept them in my room beside me, sleeping cutely every night. I fed them lizards and the iguana some flowers. Rico was always my favorite one and someone to always play with and let him go freely around me.

 

One night someone left the outside door open while I was doing homework. Next thing I know it, I looked inside my room and saw the cat on my bed... with one of my lizards.. I yelled at her and threw her outside of my house screaming, grabbed my lizard gently and saw that she was bitten on her neck. I went towards my mom with tears and told her what happened and begged her to help the wounded fella. She shook her head and told me to let the cat finish her off... She was already in so much pain and it won't be possible to save her. I didn't understand that, I grabbed some paper and tried to stop the blood but couldn't and I noticed she was twitching a bit and breathing heavily so.. I went back to my mom and gave it to her. Once my mom opened that door and gave her to the cat. I knew she was now gone. I checked my tank where the 2 survivors were. They were alright and hiding behind rocks.

 

Later on I had the perfects names for them both, Rico the Monkeylala and Kiwi the iguana. They were great friends and I love watching them care for each other and sleep on each other. Kiwi was a sweet iguana, he trusted and loved everyone near him.

One night my mom brought me and my brother in the living room. Announcing that we were going to have a new little brother or sister soon. We were soo happy until.. she told us that we were moving somewhere far from the island. She told us to let us know what we thought about it, but we needed some time to think. Which was very hard.

My mom took us away from my dad when I was 6 years old. We only got to see him 2 times a year when we lived far from him. We moved about 4 times now and I thought that moving back to the island and my home would be the last... but it wasn't... I didn't want to leave my dad, my lizards, my friends or my home. I thought all night thinking what would happen to Rico and Kiwi... and thinking how it would be if I just let them free. At the morning, I grabbed Rico while crying and went outside near the woods. I kissed him on the head and put him down. I pushed him to make him run but it wouldn't do much. I got up and thought he will leave any moment to the wild while i'm gone. I went to eat lunch and went back to the spot an hour later. He was still there waiting for something. I grabbed him and took him back a little happy.

 

Me and my brother decided to live with my dad (Which was a very hard moment and decision to make) My mom moved to Copan, far from the island. I took Rico and Kiwi in with me and lived together happily... Until a few weeks later. We were heading towards the beach, I looked and check out Rico and Kiwi and saw Kiwi not moving much, breathing slowly and a very dark color on him. I was really worried and asked my dad if that's normal. My dad suggested that maybe his a little sick but hopefully it will pass when we come back from the Beach.

Once we were back, I checked Kiwi... and he was gone.. His cold body stopped breathing...It hurt me so much, reminded me the lost of my other lizard. We took his body, wrapped it up with paper and put it in a box. I took in some of his favorite flowers and put it on his grave as a memory, now he lies under my childhood tree where I pass by almost everyday with my dogs... Me and Rico have lost our great friend who died from a sickness... He will never be forgotten. As much as it hurt me, I knew it also hurt Rico.

 

Rico was the only survivor during these years. And it means a lot that he stayed with me during all those times. There were many chances to run away but he never decided to do so.

As for Kiwi... we will never forget you. You have been a great friend of ours, and I promised you that I wouldn't dare eat your kind, I also promise... the tree that you lie underneath, will stay alive till I die."

© 2013 Dodanis Brewer


Author's Note

Dodanis Brewer
If you see any grammar problems, ignore, you may correct them but only in your own sight of mind.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

THE INTRODUCE IS ABOUT CAPTURING A PET AND SINCE YOU COULD NOT HAVE A PUPPY...YOU CHOOSE THE NEXT BEST PETS THAT MONEY DID NOT HAVE TO BUY...BUT CATCH...SEEMS AS THE STORY GOES ONE OF THE THREE MUSKETEERS TAKES AN UNLIKELY FAITH WITH THE ALLEY CAT OF THE NEIGHBORHOOD...

SEEMS A TURN IN THE STORY TAKES ANOTHER TRAGIC CHANGE...WITH A SIBLING ON THE WAY AND THE IDEA OF MOVING ABOUT COMES AGAIN AFTER MOVING ALREADY 4 TIMES...YOU HAVE TO MAKE A DECISION ABOUT YOUR PETS...WHAT I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY JUST RICO AND NOT KIWI???BUT YET YOU FIND THAT RICO IS IN THE SAME SPOT YOU PUT HIM LATER ON AND TAKE HIM BACK HOME...

IN THE TURN OF EVENTS YOU AND YOUR BROTHER DECIDE TO MOVE WITH YOUR DAD AND MOM GOES HER OWN WAY FROM THE ISLAND...ON WITH YOUR NEW LIFE WITH DAD AND THEN KIWI TAKES A NOSE DIVE FOR THE WORST...AND YOU BURY HIM UNDER YOUR CHILDHOOD TREE...SEEMS YOU GOT THOSE DOGS THAT YOU WANTED AFTER ALL...OR WHERE THEY YOUR FATHER'S AFTER THE MOVE???AND THE ENDING SEEMS TO REMEMBER KIWI AND THE SYMBOL OF THE TREE AS A REMINDER OF THOSE YOU LOVED AS PETS...

I JUST HAVE A COUPLE QUESTIONS IN THERE ABOUT THE STORY LINE...GOOD TO READ YOUR WORK...FOR A YOUNGER WRITER YOU KEPT ME ENTERTAINED LONG ENOUGH TO READ EVERYTHING YOU HAVE TO OFFER HERE AT THE CAFE...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dodanis Brewer

10 Years Ago

I surely accept to answer your questions. Rico was more known as a carnivore during that time, In Co.. read more
Glen Yumang Manese

10 Years Ago

YOU'RE WELCOME...WAS EASY TO READ YOUR WORK...AND THE STORIES YOU PUT UP HAD A CERTAIN THEME TO THEM.. read more
They were many losses in this story but you are a very strong person and you got through them

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

184 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 12, 2013
Last Updated on September 12, 2013

Author

Dodanis Brewer
Dodanis Brewer

Honduras



About
I am an 15 year old artist who expresses her feelings through drawings and poems. I am kind, caring and sweet. more..

Writing