I Almost..

I Almost..

A Poem by Rain
"

Little things we almost do, we should have done, because the effect may not have been so little.

"
My headlights caught the broken down car, with the hood up, and the man dejectedly leaning against his door. I touched my brakes. I could see the man move in my rear view mirror. He thought I was stopping...I almost did. Twenty years ago I would have, but I kept going. My lack of action haunted me. There was an exit ramp straight ahead. I could turn around. But, I passed it...why ? Was it because he was black ?
No! It was because he was a man. At least that's what my mind told me. There was still time. He was only a couple miles back. I could cut through one of those Highway Patrol paths. I've done it often.
 
A little voice shouted " Do it, Ray." 
Now, he was three miles back. He probably already called for help. Everyone has a cell phone...right ?. Turn around!! I almost did...almost.

© 2008 Rain


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

One of the things I love most about you is that you question your own integrity...
who does that ?

You are morbily honest Ray...
who knows... We may never...!

Could have been disobeient fear...or gender or race issue crouching in the reccesses of your mind...
or it could have well been a good healthy dose of spiritual-discernment...( a protective measure of sense from God that guides us from hurt...harm...or danger .

Blessssssssss

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Oh Rain, it is SO GOOD to see you here again!
And I am glad you didn't turn around. Sometimes the safe thing to do is the wrong thing. And I sure know that!!


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

One of the things I love most about you is that you question your own integrity...
who does that ?

You are morbily honest Ray...
who knows... We may never...!

Could have been disobeient fear...or gender or race issue crouching in the reccesses of your mind...
or it could have well been a good healthy dose of spiritual-discernment...( a protective measure of sense from God that guides us from hurt...harm...or danger .

Blessssssssss

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Rain, this is very true and its happens with most of us. As far as my opinion is concerned...well...yes! you should helped that person but its your will, it wasn't forced and depends upon each and every individual. But since I saw that regret afterwards, so...if you ever helped him then the scene would be something entirely different!
I totally disagree with Rock and Roll Cowboy regarding the fact that "now there are more people to harm" lolz..!!
It totally depends upon the situation!
I remember one day the same thing happened with me and just after a week, I found myself at the place of the one who once asked for my help but I didn't turned up and exactly same thing happened with me after a week! (Must be written in my Destiny)

So...this is what life is all about, it is totally unpredictable...

Great work though! and that feel of self dissatisfaction has been explained brilliantly!


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

We can all think back to these moments, wondering what "if". As an English teacher of mine preached to us constantly - "if is the middle word of life".

I always enjoy your clips and views into life.

Well done!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

you know i had two recent events in my life that i had an urge to step in and do something and for some reason i just didn't.. and i felt like crap afterwards thinking me not acting on my gut feelings is part of the reason society is so cold and hands off.. we should step in as if it were a family member or friend in need..

it's funny how we talk ourselves out of things. Well captured Rain.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You know I think we all can wrestle with these little should have would have... I can understand the fear that might have lead to this... it seems now days their are more people out to harm and in the back of your mind the thought of this guy maybe being a lunatic could be their without realizing it... you did so great at showing how we try to reason why we don't do things... awesome work brother.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

519 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on September 21, 2008

Author

Rain
Rain

About
"Having lived a bit has altered my thoughts of this coming new year from all those that have come and gone. Life is so bizarre that in some ways, my diagnosis has been a blessing. "I'm not sure why.. more..

Writing
He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain


The 50's The 50's

A Poem by Rain



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Our Lives.. Our Lives..

A Poem by Rain


I Run Away I Run Away

A Poem by Rain


Words Written Words Written

A Poem by Rain


Time Time

A Poem by Rain


Primitive Man Primitive Man

A Story by Rain