Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Candle in the Wind

Candle in the Wind

A Poem by Candle in the wind

 

 

The candle in the wind
Flickering and blazing
Dreaming perilously
Logic and reason melting alongside
 
Not yet blown out
Not yet smothered
Sometimes a steady glow
Dispelling darkness or enshrouded by it 
 
If you look close you will see the myriad shades
In the flame which changes shape
Sometimes feeble, sometimes bold
Sometimes rekindled by fumbling hands
 
The wax melts
The wick burns
But the flame is alive
And spreads warmth
 
Cup your hands to shield the flame
But don’t stifle it in a glass case
To save it from the wind
As you’ll take away its warmth.
 
The wind that makes it flutter
Is the air that nourished the flame
The breeze that made it dance
And leap up in desire.

 

© 2008 Candle in the wind


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Yes I like this poem very much. Metaphorically, it can be whatever the reader wants it to be - a soul struggling to grow, a person taking the first trembling steps away from terror, new love, blossoming and fearing a battering - all needing proctecing all needing shelter all needing warmth - yes metaphorically it can mean anything we choose - even just a simple beautiful candle shedding its light and warmth while being sheltered from the wind and protected by cupped hands.

beautiful imagery - beautiful write - beautiful poem.

Thank you

Jen-JG

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

are you familiar with the three unwise moths who ventured just a bit too close to the flame?
very nice poem :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The inspirited symbol of life and nature in this wonderful poem reminded me of what one needs to remember throughout life; the flame of ourselves, dreaming perilously. The image of a flame brings warmth to my soul on this Wednesday morning where I return to reading for the first time in weeks. I feel as if I have ducked and dived to keep the flame from extinguishing, from the wax ruining any surrounding fixtures or fittings. I have tried to shield my heat from those people that cannot withstand it. I have tried to offer love to those people I wish to have it, but not at the sake of myself. This poem encapsulates the metaphor sublimely.

It makes me want to craft some candles. It reminds me of being in a Candle shop in Italy where a man and his wife sat, tirelessly carving wax and selling these bespoke designs on to the tourists. They sat with tranquility infused in their eyes...preparing candle after candle. One came with me into my home, or what is to become a mere memory and I often thought of them, as I am right now. The colors they used were as bold as the flame itself, as bold as they seem to be in my image and as bold as I'd like to be if I were to be an actual flame. This poem has brought much to my mind and I am leaping in desire, but have nowhere to leap to this precise moment, so I'll leap to the next poem...

Thank you for the lovely read.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love your gentleness in this poem, you describe the flame as more than just a flame, but a thriving being. Kudos to you.

Posted 16 Years Ago


i like to think that flames a metaphor for something much more brilliant then a tiny beam of light
this is a sweet read

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Another stunningly descriptive poem from you.

The life of a "Candle in the wind" is a lot like the life of a fragile soul, you sure captured those sentiments in a graceful display of poetry..

Just delightful


Love from,
Me

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love a flickreing candle, it can create an aura of peace yet also one of unsettled anxiety. The candle has the ability to set a mood of tranquil delight and is being used more and more for pleasure rather than necessity. Another very original piece of work from you...change 'coz' to cause or because...just lends itself better to your writing voice.
Helen :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brilliant use of metaphor. The entire graphic and description is quite appealing to the reader.
An awesome read overall!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Is it a candle in the wind...or is it You?!

Flickering and blazing...
Dreaming perilously...
Not yet blown out...
Not yet smothered...
Sometimes feeble, sometimes bold...

Yes it is a candle. And yes, it is YOU!

Such vivid imagery, such beautiful visions, such awesome words to bring out the entire essence of life...be it of a mere candle, or someone with as much depth as you...

Fabulous piece of writing. I salute you, ma'am...

Keep spreading warmth, and glow with even more strength every time a strong gust of wind conspires to blow you out!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Roy
A truly realist creation. Vivid imagery.

And intensely philosophical. As is expected of a Calcuttan. [:)]

Thank you for sharing this one with us.



Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I care as much as the next person. The difference is, I don't pretend to care more - is the message that i got from the poem...probably one of the best poems that i have read so far. so much of you has come out in the poem. did you know that all are lunatics, but he who can analyse his delusions is called a philosopher. i have some of me in your poem, hope you see some of yourself in mine. Happy writing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

6998 Views
88 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 9 Libraries
Added on February 7, 2008
Last Updated on April 1, 2008

Author

Candle in the wind
Candle in the wind

Calcutta, India



About
Flickering and blazing,not yet blown out in the wind... the flame has to sustain itself when the rains set in... Beyond norms and overrated sanity " We look before and after And pine for what i.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..