The Battle

The Battle

A Chapter by Shayna Nemrow

I sat up stiffly and stretched. Braydie was sipping a large bottle of water, and she looked about as tired as I felt. She grinned at me and asked, “Was I that bad?”

                “No!” I said quickly, “I’m just really tired.”

                “Me too.” She replied.

                Archie tapped his foot. “Bray, it’s time to go. It’s eleven twenty.”

                Braydie put her bottle down and beckoned for me to come. I didn’t know why they were in such a hurry. I got off the couch and followed them out the door and down the hallways into the lobby, which was dark. Archie punched a code into the pad by the door, and we braved the cool night air outside. The valet was still out in his booth, and when he saw Archie, he yanked his thumb over to the lot behind him, and handed the keys to Archie before flipping his sign from Open to Closed.

                Archie’s pace quickened as we approached the car, and as soon as we were in the car, Archie revved the engine and tore out of the lot. I looked at Braydie, but she seemed to be a little on edge. I swallowed. “Why are you going so fast?”

                Archie glanced at me in the rearview mirror, but said nothing. There was little traffic until we got to East 45th. The nightlife was alive and well in that part of town, and we were stopped by a police officer who had pulled over a drunk driver. A crowd had gathered around the scene, and alcohol was prevalent. Braydie looked out at the scene and then at Archie. “Archie, how much time do we have?”

                Archie glanced at his watch. “Not enough honey.”

                I shook my head. “It’s not that big a deal, really. It’s just a curfew.”

                There was a sudden knock on my window that made me jump. It was a well-dressed man in his early thirties, with wire-rimmed glasses and a pleasant face. He motioned for me to roll the window down.

                “Don’t!” Braydie said, grabbing my arm as I made a move.

                “Stay in the car.” Archie said gruffly. He then shut off the engine and stepped out of the car. The windows were thin enough that I could barely hear what they were saying, even over the sound of the crowd. Archie stepped close to him and said, “You’re two minutes early.”

                The stranger grinned, “You know how it is, Archer. By my watch or yours…”

                Archie’s stance widened and he moved a little, obscuring us from view. “It doesn’t matter.”

                “But it does,” The stranger’s voice said, “This is a most interesting development. Two at a time?”

                “Like Master, like apprentice.” Archie said coyly.

                I peered at Braydie, “What’s happening? Who is that?”

                “I think his name is Quinn.” Braydie muttered, “He’s come after me before.”

                “Come after you?” I asked, “Why?”

                Braydie stared at me like I was crazy. “Did Marcus ever tell you why your curfew is at 11:30??”

                I shook my head, my pulse quickening. “What happens at 11:30?”

                “We become neutral. Unless we’re on the literal protected property of our Masters, we cease to become their apprentices. If someone challenges them for us, the Masters fight for us again, just like before.” Braydie looked out at Archie anxiously, “That’s why sometimes apprentices change hands.”

                I looked back out the window at the flashing blue and red lights. “They can’t fight here, there are cops!”

                “If you think that the police scare adepts like Quinn, you’re crazy.” Braydie informed me, then to herself, she said “Maybe it’s Quintin…”

                “Who cares what his name is?” I asked, beginning to panic as Archie and Quinn increased the rate that they were circling one another. Suddenly I wanted Barrick by my side, to tell me that everything was okay. I wanted him to fight for me.

                A warm hand pulled at mine, and Braydie’s Aura was trying desperately to appear optimistic. However, I could sense that this had all happened before; and perhaps she had reason for doubting Archie’s abilities.

                “You should have kept your distance, Quinn.” Archie said, “If Marcus comes looking for his boy, you’ll have two of us on your hands. And that may break you.”

                Quinn sneered and his Aura flashed red for a split second before returning to a charcoal color. In that second, Archie was knocked backward two steps, but looked unharmed. However, the flash had been a distraction to keep Archie from noticing Quinn’s advance. In a mere moment, they were decking it out like a pair of experienced martial artists. I glanced at Braydie, but her eyes were glued to the action. I turned back to watch just as Archie slammed a fist into Quinn’s chest, sending the immaculate suit into a puddle.

                Archie backed away as Quinn looked at his ruined clothes. His Aura became angry, his eyes flashing with a crimson fire. He was about to get to his feet when Archie’s Aura turned sky blue, shining against the darkness; with grace that would put a ballerina to shame, Archie’s hands brushed his arms, pulling off shreds of his Aura, which he molded into a large sphere.

                Quinn’s face registered panic; he began to stumble away, but Archie wasn’t finished with him yet. The sphere flew through the air and enlarged to fit over Quinn’s body, extinguishing his frightened/angry Aura. Quinn crumpled to the ground, shaking. Archie inhaled deeply and turned back to the car.

                As soon as he was in the driver’s seat, he hit reverse and revved the engine. Within a few minutes, we were en route to the brownstone by a different way. Braydie began to breathe as soon as Quinn was out of sight. She leaned forward and said, “Thank you, Archie.”

                Archie gave her an exhausted grin. “Anything for you, girl; are you ok, Flynn?”

                I was still holding Braydie’s hand. I nodded. “I think…I didn’t know that that happened at 11:30. I just thought it was…”

                “Another rule.” Archie grumped. He slowed at a traffic light. “Of course. Well, everything Marcus does has its reasons, Flynn. You just need to accept that.”

                I slumped down in my seat. “I’m glad you won.”

                He tapped the gas and we moved forward. “Me too. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been working on that last move since the last time this happened; but it was still…tiring.”

                Braydie reached over and put her hand on his shoulder. “You did fine. I just hate that I couldn’t help.”

                “Why couldn’t we?” I asked, feeling clueless.

                “Forfeit.” Archie replied. “He would have been able to claim you without a fight. Damn that man, he never gives up.” He looked at me through the rearview mirror. “Unbelievable how fast the news spreads.”

                I shook my head, “What’s so special about us? I mean, it’s not like me and Braydie are the Guardians in that story.”

                Archie slammed on the brakes. He turned around and stared at me. “Is that what Marcus said?? Good god, he thinks he’s protecting you when really he’s killing you.”

                I was taken aback. Archie looked mad enough to murder someone, and I had a feeling it was my master. I leaned forward. “Killing me?”

                “Stubborn fool that he is,” Archie grunted, answering my question.

                “But why?” I asked, my voice cracking.

                Braydie gave me a concerned look. “He loves you, Flynn.”

                I sat back as Archie stepped on the gas again, and we said nothing else during the rest of the ride, although my mind was spinning. Why would Barrick never tell me anything? Because he cared? Wouldn’t mean more if he told me what was going on so that I would understand why he did what he did? Barrick was like a father to me, so what did he think he would gain by keeping me in the dark? If anything, I felt more alienated from him than ever.

                Archie pulled up to the brownstone, and I got out of the car, pulling Braydie along. I was halfway up the stoop when Archie barked, “Wait!”

                I suddenly felt rooted to the spot. I looked back at him with surprise. What was he doing to me to keep me standing there? Braydie sighed and simply waited for Archie to catch up. He surpassed us, and then took the lead into the house. Only then was I able to move.

                Braydie’s Aura was anxious, and for a moment, I wondered why. However, as soon as we walked into the house, I understood. Barrick was standing in the hall, his face angry, his Aura a barely controlled dark crimson. I started to walk toward him, but Archie held out an arm, blocking my path.

                “Archer.” Barrick seethed, “You will release the boy now.

                Archie locked eyes with him, and the ochre color of protectiveness overtook his Aura, matching my own. “I will decide when my apprentice will be released.”

                I looked at him, surprised. “What?”

                “I fought for you.” Archie said, not looking at me, “You’re mine until I say otherwise.”



© 2011 Shayna Nemrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

271 Views
Added on November 16, 2011
Last Updated on November 16, 2011


Author

Shayna Nemrow
Shayna Nemrow

Goodwell, OK



About
Fine Art major at Oklahoma Panhandle State University; Home-grown New Mexican with a whacked out, twisted sense of humor. But enough about me... more..

Writing