Tower Assault - Rough Draft

Tower Assault - Rough Draft

A Chapter by Irish_Ranger
"

The two rogue operators are locked in a furious gun battle with approaching enemy troops when old friends come to the rescue.

"

"Listen."

            An engine. Specifically, an aircraft engine. I recognized it as some sort of helo; no telling if it was a friend or a foe.
            I handed another charge to Annie. "Let's hurry this up, then. Start on another support."

            Although she didn't have much experience with explosives, Annie set to the task while I guided her verbally. We couldn't stop for anything; before long, someone would be on top of this room, and by that time we needed to be long gone.
            "Jim." Annie spoke during one of our silent periods, still working.
            "What?" I wasn't particularly listening, still busy.
            "If we don't make it outta here..."
            I shook my head, interrupting her. "Don't say it, Annie. We will make it."
            "I know, but if we don't..."
            Just then, the handle to the door shook, sending me into immediate guard, abandoning my charge to swing my sidearm into play. "Keep working," I growled, drawing a heavy bead on the door. From where I crouched, I had partial concealment from a tower support, but not much else.
            "...Can I say one feckin' thing?" Annie asked, irritated.
            "No." I listened hard, counting seconds. It took me a few moments to put the picture together, and I instinctively jumped out from behind cover and scuttled left to shield her.
            Had I stayed where I was, the explosion would've blinded me with debris, which would've decapitated Annie. Large chunks of shrapnel buried themselves in my armored vest, level with her face. I crouched down, raising my weapon to fire at whoever would be first through the door.
            In this military, it pays to be observant. My finger tightened just slightly before recognizing my target: a Force soldier, an operator to be exact. This operator was followed quickly by another of the same persuasion, and they cleared the door with weapons raised. Just like us, they took a moment to ID their targets, not firing but not letting down their guard. These were our people. The darker, more streamlined battle rigs were a dead giveaway.
            At about the time that Annie pulled her shotgun up, we were against four total, and we were in a standoff. There wasn't much to say to say to each other; weapons make enough of a statement. It was anyone's guess who'd make first contact.
            One of them eventually did. A tall one with a scraped-down red cross emblem on the helmet lowered their rifle and lifted off said headgear, revealing a glowing mane of red hair and a sarcastic grin.
            "Mother of God," I gasped.
            "Close enough," she replied. "You're gettin' rusty, Razor."
            Tension was replaced by recognition, followed by relief. Not only were they operators, but the rest of the 56th SOS--our squad. I watched as they all revealed their identities: "Mother of God" was actually Staff Sergeant Sharon Tally, my best bud; the one who'd been first in--and therefore first to get in my sights--was PFC Celia Riker, whose presence there was an actual surprise; next to Riker was Sergeant Melvin Andrews, certified squadron destroyer, a human tank who wielded his squad automatic weapon like a toy; last through the door was an unidentified sun-kissed blonde, who looked at everyone present with amusement. She sure was no Sandra Temple--more on her later--but I wasn't in a position to choose staffing.
            I looked at Annie, who was as surprised as I was. So much, in fact, that she let a long string of expletives and action-verbs escape from her mouth before lowering her scattergun.
            "Ooh, I like her," said the blonde, revealing a thick Australian accent. "Can we keep her?"
            "Sure, just don't feed her after midnight,” said Sharon, strolling over to one of the charges and scrutinizing it, tilting her head. "This looks fun. What were you two doin' with these?"
            "We have orders to knock down this tower. Revelators have been using it for most of their secure traffic," I answered.
            She turned back toward me. "Knocking down a ten-terawatt super-tower? I don't think Temple would approve. Anyway, we have orders to secure it for the engineers. For similar reasons as the Revs."
            "Engineers, nothing. The Revs have hard-coded the system. Even if we could unlock it, HQ doesn't want it falling back into the wrong hands."
            Riker snickered. "Sounds like command intelligence at its best. Nobody knows if they're coming or going."
            Just to hurry us along, another turbine engine hummed somewhere outside. Annie and I exchanged looks of anxiety. "Tell me that's more of the good guys," I said.
            Sharon
shook her head. "Haven't called for them yet."
            I checked my weapon. "Better do it, then. Tell them we might have a hot LZ. We were expecting company before you all arrived."
            The question of just what to do was answered then. Riker, the demo expert, helped set the last of the charges with precision, and soon we were ready to rock. Our equipped hosts put their helmets back on, but turned on their external speakers so we could communicate.
            "Let's get moving," I ordered, making sure I had everything with me.
            The blonde elbowed me. "Oy... I don't recall you tellin' us who you are, mate." She said this with a suspicious look toward Sharon, as though to signal who was actually in charge.
            "Captain Richards," I told her, doing my best not to add "mate".
            "Oh, that Captain Richards. Sergeant Matthews, at your service."
            I wasn't sure what she meant, but what the hell. "Feel like taking point, Sergeant?"
            She nodded, looking toward Annie. "Trade off with me, love. That scattergun is just the ticket."
            Annie begrudgingly handed over her weapon, taking Matthews’ well-worn assault rifle. Matthews smiled appreciatively and humped her way down the hall, leading the way out.
            It felt odd to be part of the group again, to rejoin the pack. As we all made our way out of the facility, I could see where I had fallen out of the natural order of moving as a team; both me and Annie had been separated from them for a solid four months, at least. Luckily it didn’t take long for us to re-acclimate to tactics, and we made it back through the antenna complex without any problems.
            Problems waited for us just outside the door we’d blasted open. As soon as Matthews stepped past the threshold, she found herself in a melee with a few Revelator troopers who’d stacked themselves up outside. She smashed the butt of the shotgun into the face of the nearest soldier, then fell on her butt to put a shell right between his legs. We all joined in and quickly dispatched them all, myself delivering a skull-crushing blow to the face of one before firing two shots from my ZK-mini at point blank. I was more than happy to relieve him of his weapon, a Soviet Groza-14, 9x39 millimeter. The b******s were still packing some nice hardware, despite our efforts.
            As we stood outside to survey the scene for a few moments, it appeared that we had the upper hand. However, the sudden appearance of two large transport helos in the Revelator color scheme--white and blue--changed any previous notions of using the rappeling line to escape down the side of the mountain.
            While Tally chanted over her radio about a hot LZ, I whacked Andrews on the shoulder. “Can you pop ‘em from here, Beefy?”
            He held his tri-barrel in one hand and surveyed the two choppers. They were hovering at around three-hundred meters, well within effective range of his weapon. He could knock one down with a lucky hit.
           
Sorry, buddy,” he finally admitted in a rare display of combat restraint, “Mona just can’t do it from here.” He patted his firearm sympathetically.
            I took a look at my new Groza, but I knew it wouldn't do the job. If the choppers had decent armor, I’d still be better off with spitwads. “Rockets? Grenades? Anyone?” I asked.
            Heads shook collectively. We needed a new plan, fast.
           
Jim, maintenance hatch!” Annie pointed up at the looming tower.
            I knew that she had a bat-s**t crazy idea, but I was open to it. “We climb,” I said in agreement. It was better than standing down here and having it out with the combat helos. They'd easily chop us to pieces with vulcan cannons.
           
I’ll lay down cover for you two,” Andrews volunteered. “Go ahead and I’ll follow.”
           
They don’t pay you to be a hero.” I reminded him.
            Andrews shot me his trademark smug grin, tugging Mona’s charging handle and checking the action. “Of course they don’t. They pay me to…”
           
MOVE!” Sharon cut our exchange short, shoving all of us inside like a human bulldozer.
            She wasn’t a second too soon with interrupting his “be a badass” speech. A ‘Lil Bird had come back to support its larger brothers and was making a strafing run with miniguns. The ground where we’d all been standing exploded, 20-mil slugs burying themselves in the dirt.
            As we scrambled back into the complex, Andrews kicked over a couple of long metal tables and set up his perimeter.  “I’ll be right behind you!” he yelled.
            There was nothing else to do but head back to the central control room, where our charges still waited to be set off. The maintenance hatch was a cinch; an overhead panel held shut with a padlock, which was quickly dismissed by a couple of shotgun rounds. Matthews did the honors of popping the hatch open and clearing it.
           
Good up here,” she said, dropping back down the ladder. “Now, who’s crazy enough to be first in?”
            Sharon
answered without a word, clambering up the ladder like all the fires of hell were about to come down the hall after us. We all exchanged shrugs before following, Annie first, followed by Matthews, Riker, and myself.

            Beyond the maintenance hatch, the ladder continued upward in an enclosed conduit about two hundred meters in height, thick cabling and wires running up the sides. At the top was yet another hatch, which probably led to the outdoor sections of the tower and some serious s**t.
            At least, that’s all I could make out from my point of view; despite the gargantuan construction of the super-tower, space inside was limited, and looking up didn’t afford me much more than the ultimate voyeur’s angle of Riker’s a*s. Her rifle pointed straight down at my head as a reminder to the dangers of leering.
            While we climbed, Matthews decided to offer some moral support in her own dry, seasoned fashion. It was enjoyable for the most part. She homed right in on the fact that neither I, nor Annie had taken proper care of ourselves in months. “I’m not one to make light,” she said to Annie, who was climbing above her, “but you’re a might bit swampy, mate.”
           
Shut it, ya,” Annie replied, making me chuckle. “’Yer not spring fresh ‘yerself. Ya can't even smell me through that damn helmet.”
            “Speak for yourself, love. No worries, but ja’need to fight a war in a skirt? The airflow's killin' me!”
            The battle of accents was cut short by the howling of gunfire below us. I looked down to see Andrews cranking away on full auto with his SAW. We were already fifty meters above him.
           
Andrews!” I yelled, “Come on! Get up here!”
            It occurred to me that Andrews couldn’t hear me over the report of his weapon, but he had the right idea. He ceased fire after a few seconds and began to climb after us like a mountain lion up a tree. Before I knew it, he was right beneath me, bellowing: “Climb faster! Faster, d****t!”
            It was the first time I’d heard ‘ol Beefy sound threatened by anything. I couldn’t see what, though. Whatever it was, he wasn’t in the mood to face it, even with his SAW.
            Our pace became frantic, and I was thankful that we were all solid-footed; if Sharon or Annie lost it, we’d all be coming down rather fast. I began to experience an almost sweet smell, accompanied by a thin veil of green smoke that made my throat immediately dry out, along with my eyes.
            Below me, Andrews was still hollering. “Go! GO! Come on!”
            It occurred to me what the big deal was. Someone below had deployed C-5 gas, a neurotoxin-based chemical that affected the respiratory system. Dryness of tear ducts and sinuses was only a mild side-effect; long-term and more effective side effects were complete dryness of lung tissue and hemorrhaging. Anyone not wearing a breather--Annie and me--would be coughing up blood in a matter of minutes.
            Cursing my lack of such crucial equipment, I did what I could to add to Andrews’ trendy melody of “hurry”, my dry throat barely crackling out the words.
            We finally reached the next hatch, which thankfully wasn’t locked. Light flooded down on us, along with wind, which would help to thin out the gas and give us a fighting chance. The next section of tower was completely open-air, girders with more wiring running upward. It gave us a nice panoramic view of what was unfolding outside.
            A few of our own ‘Lil Birds had shown up, engaging in a heated aerial dogfight with the identical enemy craft, chasing each other in multiple directions. One of the larger carriers had taken a direct hit to an engine and was careening down the side of the mountain in an effort to ditch out.
            Below us the assault force had drawn out of the tower station, taking potshots at our pilots who were far too fast and occupied to care about what was happening on the ground. I was concerned that some of the shooters may have had their druthers and would try to pick us off from our exposed positions, but for the moment we were safe and still climbing.
            The ascent seemed to take an eternity, and by the time we reached the tower’s central mooring ring, my head was swimming. It was a combination of the height and the C-5 gas exposure that was cutting off my breathing; every gasp I took was becoming excruciating.
            I barely made it to the mooring ring when I was grabbed by both arms. Tally and Matthews had me, and they deposited me onto the heavily pitching, bobbing surface of the ring, right next to Annie, who was coughing so hard that blood sprayed from her lips. It took me a moment to realize that I was bleeding from the nose. I tried to take a relieving breath of air that wouldn’t come; my lungs just wouldn’t open anymore. Before my dry eyes, stars appeared as capillaries in my brain began to burst.
            Asphyxia ain’t pretty.
I forgot the name of the old colonel who’d told me that in my first days of being an officer. Just the same, the line repeated itself in my head as I tried in vain to draw in one last breath.
            In the moments before I lost consciousness, I felt my senses heighten for a brief moment; I could hear Sharon yelling into her radio; I could sense and hear Andrews as he stood near me, letting off an explosive volley from the SAW; I felt a tiny hand gripping mine as hard as it could.
            Annie’s hand. I gripped it back, holding it to my chest, where my heart tried as hard as it could to pump blood to my body. A look at her showed that she was still holding on; her training as a pilot favored her in this scenario. Her eyes were completely bloodshot, crimson red, and I knew that mine were too.

            Some people try to romanticize it, but the furthest thing on my mind was regret as we stared each other in the face, about to fade into the unknown. Annie and I had always been on strange terms with each other so to speak, but the last thing I could possibly think of was the plural: Us.

            With an exhale that I didn’t know I had, I drifted from consciousness.

            Blessed slumber was very short-lived, my journey to whatever lay beyond cut short. Like many times before, Sharon Tally ripped me from the void and back into life with her blood, sweat and tears. Not that she was the type to admit the last part.
            I awoke on the floor of a large transport chopper, a Valkyrie, which at the time seemed like a very fitting name. Above me, Sharon was squeezing the actuator control for a respirator unit, tweaking the settings as she saw me come back to life before her eyes. She administered a shot to my arm with an air injector, putting both hands to use. I could see from the empty chambers on top that she’d used a good three vials to force my lungs back into operation.
            As though we’d been teleported, Annie still lay next to me on the floor, no longer holding my hand with a death grip. She was breathing on her own; no need for a respirator. In fact, the lack of attention toward her led me to believe that she hadn’t blacked out at all. Damned pilots! It wasn’t fair.
            The respirator made communication impossible, as there was a large tube running from the unit down through my trachea. I tried to remove it, but Sharon shook her head. In my delirium, I could hear her talking to me over the blast of the helo engines. “Keep it in there!”
            My mind began to race as oxygen flowed through my veins once again, and I reached into my vest. I wasn’t going to come all this way and fail the mission; the detonator was still in my pocket.
            Out the open bay door of the helo, the super-tower still stood defiantly. In another time, I would’ve loved to have snapped a photo of what was to come. Instead, I simply pressed the button and waited.
            Thirty seconds counted down, and radio calls blasted forth over the Valkyrie's radio to clear the area. Here came the big show, courtesy of Annie and me.
            An ear-cracking explosion echoed across the canyons, followed by a deep roar as the facility underneath collapsed to dust. The tower pitched over, snapping its guy wires with explosive snaps and ceremoniously tumbling down the side of the mountain.

            Mission accomplished.



© 2013 Irish_Ranger


Author's Note

Irish_Ranger
This is only a rough draft of a chapter taking place early in this book.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
Added on October 22, 2013
Last Updated on October 23, 2013