A Hang Up

A Hang Up

A Poem by Ranger Kessel

She was bleeding from her mouth and eyes but it was her. Dangling from the rafter. Her power suit and briefcase on the table nearby.

She didn't get the job.

One of many, but this one was different.

One that would have made everyone proud of her again

Made a handsome man propose over dinner with fancy jewelry that comes in a box. Champagne. Trips to New Zealand.

It wasn't meant to be.

Truth was she was more qualified than anyone else who showed up. More down to Earth.

If she had only worn a pair of flat dress shoes instead of those heels. They made the interviewer uncomfortable and reminded them of a s****y teacher in high school

It was all done for now. Nothing was going to bring her down alive.

The coroner eating a sandwich as the officers cut her down said it best when she exclaimed, "what a shame," before pocketing her bracelet.

© 2022 Ranger Kessel


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Sadly we all have our hang ups, but we don't always use them in a way which will be detrimental to others. This was a sad tale to read and the last stanza about the coroner eating the sandwich and stealing a bracelet while she said "what a shame" certainly left an unpleasant after taste with me.

Chris

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

i started to write a review, then realized I didn't know what I was going to say. As brutal as this was, there was a thread to it that connected us all. We don't ever think that something of this magnitude could happen to us, until it does. We each have a limit to what we can take. The stark reality was your closure, bringing it into focus. Minimalizing the significance - of a life.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Sadly we all have our hang ups, but we don't always use them in a way which will be detrimental to others. This was a sad tale to read and the last stanza about the coroner eating the sandwich and stealing a bracelet while she said "what a shame" certainly left an unpleasant after taste with me.

Chris

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

89 Views
2 Reviews
Added on July 15, 2022
Last Updated on July 15, 2022

Author

Ranger Kessel
Ranger Kessel

Green Bay, WI



About
I like rhymes. Humor. Love. And your mother. more..

Writing
A Barn A Barn

A Poem by Ranger Kessel


5 5

A Poem by Ranger Kessel