Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Emily
"

A creative little exercise I did. It happened to turn into a good second chapter. I know it seems pointless, but I'm sure that points such as the art appreciation and the general layout of Ra�n could come in handy later. It's one large buildup =) leave

"

“Is it always so warm here, Mr. Rasmus?”  Maria’s question was warranted -- most Skybound never saw ground without snow.  In the early days of the Empire, the humans had pushed their influence outward from the center, making sure all other races were only powerful near the poles.  The Skybound were used to heavy snows, ice, and very low visibility.

Raén, on the other hand, was as close to the center of the known world as one could possibly get.  The weather never dipped below balmy, and anything besides sun was practically unheard of.  Today, it was wonderful.  The temperature was warm, but not hot.  A perfect day in late spring.  The large, sandstone buildings and beautiful palm trees lined the streets and beaches of the coastal city.  Music was in the air, children were playing in the street… definitely not something a Skybound would be accustomed to.  “Unfortunately, it is known to get warmer, Maria,” he responded.  “You may want to spend some time here before summer comes around, just so that when the heat comes, you won’t be overwhelmed by it.”

“If you say so,” the Skybound replied, her attention apparently taken by one hundred different things.  The humans were so much different than her people were.  Whereas the Skybound had entire cities carved out of the sides of mountains, with great walls blocking gusts of freezing wind and constant snow, the humans could afford to build their homes right on the edge of the water and not worry about being buried alive by the white condensation.  “It is quite amazing here… I am afraid that I have never experienced a city quite like this one.”

“Your cities, Maria,” he responded, giving her a humorous look from the blue-gray eyes that seemed so cold, “are some of the most beautiful in the world in their own rugged way.  We try to be elegant and refined.  This makes us less… practical… than your people are.”

“I can see this.”

It was more than obvious where Raén’s affluence came from; great murals lined the sides of buildings, while men in three-piece suits sat in chairs with umbrellas over their heads sipped fancy drinks and laughed about the state of the economy.  A healthy mixture of artistic progressivism and business-like conservatism made for a society that was nearly infallible, it would seem.  “I assume this city has an appreciation for the arts?” she asked, looking at one mural in particular that depicted stereotyped representatives of every race on the planet getting along.  ‘Peace’ was the only written word.

“Yes and no,” he replied.  “Raén is home to many museums of art, history, and other such things.  What you’re looking at, however, is the work of street urchins who have nothing better to do than to deface public property.”

“Is art only the defacement of property, Mr. Rasmus?”

“Not all the time.  But art belongs in a museum, and an urchin with this much skill could easily make a fortune, thereby bringing himself and his family out of poverty.”  It was obvious that he wasn’t amused, and apparent that he felt uncomfortable talking about this subject.  “But, Maria, it would seem that we have arrived, yes?”

And, indeed, they had.  Rasmus Inc. rose above them in all its crystalline splendor.  The building truly was magnificent, with a fountain in front of it and sculptures of lions guarded the doors.  Maria had never understood why the humans recreated such beautiful things with their artificial rock.  She preferred to see a real lion, or a natural fountain.  Art had its place in society.

“And now,” he continued, holding open the door and offering Maria a path inside, “shall we?”



© 2008 Emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
Added on November 8, 2008


Author

Emily
Emily

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada



About
uhhh hi D: more..

Writing
Teaser Teaser

A Story by Emily


Lucidity Lucidity

A Story by Emily