A Summer in Salem Chapter 2

A Summer in Salem Chapter 2

A Story by RayLynn

Chapter 2

Following the wedding, Samuel and I go back to his home, I mean, our home, for our reception. My mother and siblings have prepared a dinner for our wedding guests. Tables have been set up in the grass outside the house and we all convene there to dance and eat and celebrate our marriage. 

I see so many people who know me that soon they begin to all become one. By the time everyone has greeted me, I realize how hungry and tired I am and long to retreat to my bedroom to rest. I know this is not possible though since I am obligated to stay with my guests to eat, drink, and dance with them. 

Samuel and I finally have time to sit down together to have our dinner. We both take some food and sit together at the head table. After we’ve eaten, Samuel guides me to an open area in the grass and we share our first dance together as husband and wife.

After our dance, I excuse myself to grab something to drink. At the table with the drinks, I run into our other neighbor, George. 

I greet him politely and begin pouring myself a drink. 

“He’s a lucky man, your husband.”

“Pardon?”

George turns to face me. “I said, Samuel is a lucky man.”

“Oh, well, thank you. I’m sure he feels that way as well. Your Marcie is a lucky woman as well.”

“She’s a c**t.” He says, taking a drink.

I nearly drop my glass. “Excuse me?”

“She’s a horrible woman. Ugly as a cow too. I definitely got the short end of the stick when her father offered her to me in marriage. It’s a good thing her father was wealthy and able to give her a sizable dowry, otherwise I never would have agreed to marriage.”

I stand there speechless, not knowing how to respond. I had always assumed that Marcie and George were relatively happy. I grew up with Marcie and I know how intelligent and skilled she is. She would make the best of housewives, far better than me for certain.

Samuel walks up behind me and rests a hand on my shoulder. “Susanna? Is everything alright, dear?”

“Yes. Just having a little chat with George.”

Samuel reaches out to him and shakes his hand. “George. Always good to see you, my friend. How’s everything going for you and Marcie?”

“As I was just telling Susanna here, you have fared better than I have, Samuel. If your wife doesn’t love you, which I can clearly she that she does not, at least she’s capable and beautiful in her own respect. My wife is an ugly w***e whom I’m tied to until death. I best be going now, I cannot leave Marcie unattended for too long. Best of luck to you both.”

For a moment, neither Samuel nor I speak. 

Samuel breaks the silence by asking me to dance with him again. I accept, eager to put that interaction behind me and participate in something more fun and light-hearted.

Samuel and I dance for the remainder of the night. Our guests slowly begin to leave our home and travel back to their own. The last person to leave is my younger sister Cara. As she says her good-bye to Samuel, I walk her to the line where our property meets my parents’. 

“Are you nervous for tonight, Susanna?”

“What about tonight?”

“Well, your marriage will have to consummated.”

“It does not! I do not wish to do that with a man I hardly know.”

“Susanna, he is not a man you hardly know. He is your husband. You know as well as I do that it is expected for women to do that with their husbands. How else do you suppose children are created?”

“I am only 22 years old. I do not want a child.”

“Oh Susanna, you can pretend to ignore our customs and traditions, but they will always find their way to you. Mother has taught us this since we were but six years old! You must fulfill your duties as a housewife if you expect to live well in this town.”

“Some day when you are of marrying age, Cara, you will understand. This world puts too many expectations on us and does not give us enough freedom.”

“It is not freedom that I seek. It is stability. I would like to have enough food to eat, clothes to wear, and money to live. I care not for my own freedom, I only wish to survive.”

“That’s where we differ then, sister.”

“I best be getting home. It is late and I know father will be waiting for me to arrive.”

She turns away from me and begins walking away.

“Cara, wait. I’m sorry. I have had a long day and it has been a lot to take in. I shouldn’t have been so harsh with you.”

She smiles and comes back to hug me. “I understand. It will take some time to adjust to your new life.”

“I pray it will not take too long. I want normalcy.”

“I believe you will have that.” She pulls away from me. “I really best be going though. Father will actually be waiting for me.”

“Okay. Have a good night. Thank you for coming to the wedding.”

“Of course I went to your wedding. You are my only sister, I only had one chance to do this.”

“You never know, I might get divorced.” I shrug.

“Susanna! Do not even jest about that. Divorce equates death!”

“I was only joking. I am sure Samuel will make a good husband. Good night, Cara.”

She begins walking back to our parents’ house. “Good night, Susanna. Now go make a baby with your new husband!”

I roll my eyes. “I said, good night, Cara.”

As I walk back to our front door, I can hear her laughing as she begins running home. I laugh softly to myself and pray that my sister never changes.

© 2019 RayLynn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

very good story very well written and Geroge is a really mean man to say all that cruel stuff about his wife hopefully he gets what's coming to him.man this stuff is good and I don't usually read this kind of stuff keep writing my dear.i can't wait to see some witch stuff

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I like how Samuel has evolved since the first chapter. He seems decent. I was thinking he might be a bad man.

This story is good!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

almost a great wedding,and he starts on his wife,to much champagne

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

very good story very well written and Geroge is a really mean man to say all that cruel stuff about his wife hopefully he gets what's coming to him.man this stuff is good and I don't usually read this kind of stuff keep writing my dear.i can't wait to see some witch stuff

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 26, 2019
Last Updated on November 26, 2019
Tags: Salem, witch, witch trials, colonial times

Author

RayLynn
RayLynn

Superior, WI



About
Just a poor girl from a poor family putting herself through school and writing along the way more..

Writing
Poetry Book Poetry Book

A Poem by RayLynn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lover's Lust Lover's Lust

A Poem by Amy R


sir sir

A Poem by Riley