The Chance

The Chance

A Story by Raza Z
"

Experience is the mother of wisdom. All I can say. Falling in love often causes you to lose the two most important people to you at that time. Never let that happen.

"

The Chance

Not the richest person at college but did have what it took to be a gentlemen. A good portion of my monthly expenditure I normally would keep for something more practical, something might even say, worthwhile. But maybe this wasn’t one of those times.


A quick check on the wallet just as Robert tapped my shoulders.  “Trust me”. The two words can mean a lot coming from a friend, especially one who gave up on his feelings for you.


The bell sounded the end of the lesson and we waited for Emily and Rebecca by the cafeteria. I kept it as simple and clean as I could. A simple walk to the mall, some roaming around, deserts perhaps and straight back for the evening classes. How so easier said than done.

We waited for a couple of minutes before I got my first glance at her the day.


We’re surrounded by riddles. Sometimes we fail to move when we have to, others we fail to stop. Sometimes we’re blinded to all but that we wish to see or just unsure. And it is sometimes that you feel your heart ripping out of your chest and just taking off.


Emily approached us as Rebecca followed briefly. We left the university at around noon and headed out to the mall. A few minutes into it and Robert engaged Rebecca. I could see now they were starting to lag behind shortly. Strange actually, because knowing Robert well as a person, he never actually liked Rebecca. He looked at me as I gave a short glance behind myself and saw the indication, motioned through his eyes.

This is it, the one rare moment that I get to spend with her, speak to her, listen to her and I ask myself. ‘Isn’t this all I needed’? Strange as it is, it was as if someone caught that stray heart and put it back.

That precious smile as the sun lit up her face, the remedy.


Try to live with a heart that bears but a burden on your chest knowing that this very smile has eluded the mind even in the wilderness of dreams let alone, this world and time.


We walked up to the shopping outlets, moved around, looking around, just felt free. This was noon, this was hot, and this was when the beverages, along with some snacks came. We sat in the café for fifteen minutes. Times like these when you look back and share. And so it was we talked about the past, discussed on our lives and like I said, just left free. Sometimes it is, I can still hear her, just as I can still feel the warmth on that table.


Her voice was no different than any other women, neither did she perhaps sing for that matter, then why is it that it makes you want to hear and hear some more…If not a melody than what or why is it still so very fresh, enchanting, even so charming and all but beautiful, much like art crafted by the finest blended with the music of the angels.


Shortly after that it was time to get back. Meanwhile I could notice how much of a new arrival I was to the world of charm. Much of my time was spend trying to figure what to say. Part of me even had to rely on the innocence of Emily for her to believe that this wasn’t a planned out trip. But then again sometimes it is what it is.

“So whose thirsty” of all the moment that day the one time she asked for something I am completely and utterly penniless. But this wasn’t a day where someone was going to let things go wrong. And just like that my pocket wasn’t empty any more. I learned, it was never empty at all.


You can always count on a friend.


Robert slipped me the money, and to make sure to the girls that he was the one who was penniless and not me, he took out his wallet and exposed its empty contents displaying his act of being the stupid one for disremembering to bring money. Silly actually, that I learned what trust really was at that very moment. We got the drinks, we walked back and as it turns out the day wasn’t my worst performance. But you still ask.

Does it even matter?


How can something so dear to one be but a shadow to another and why is it that you have to live in this shadow knowing you can escape but all too well knowing you won’t.


And so it was. We just laughed it on our way and back to square one. I hugged Robert and realized that even though I might not get the love of my life I always will have a great friend. The only reason I don’t regret my present.


I never doubt myself not my rules nor my morals. But at least once you do ask yourself and so did I. What’s wrong with me?


There is nothing wrong in falling for someone. It’s a natural urge to have companionship regardless who or what you are.


Just know that if you love someone and maybe, just maybe, if you’re the luckiest person in the world… the other person decides to love you back. But the other person might not always be who you think him or her to be..

© 2013 Raza Z


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on August 14, 2013
Last Updated on August 14, 2013

Author

Raza Z
Raza Z

Writing
Aftermath Aftermath

A Story by Raza Z


All I had All I had

A Poem by Raza Z


Isolation Isolation

A Poem by Raza Z