About My Writing

About My Writing

A Story by RealistMe

This is my Xanga blog from February 5, 2013.

Hey everybody! ~2 nights ago, I went onto a friend's page and I noticed, that she has been experiencing some writer's block. I will basically re-state what I stated to her the other night. Every writer experiences writer's block, including myself. Sometimes, you're not that motivated or inspired to write anything, at that time. I haven't written another short story in a few months because I'm so focused on trying to get a job, and I'm stressed out with other issues around me. Whenever I write stories, I write Realistic  Fiction and sometimes Horror/Thriller. I'll take certain pieces of my life and write a story about it, which can also be considered Semi-Fiction. I give the characters names, make them as relatable as possible, and I'll even add a few twists to the stories and characters. Usually, a light bulb has to light up in my head and that idea will be my next story. If it helps some, you can even write a note as a short summary about what you plan to write. That way, when you do start writing, you'll already have an idea about how to progress. That's basically what I do. I can write a 10-page short story within a few hours, when my ideas are actually "flowing from the pen."


My chapbook has yet to be published or "self-published." As I have already said, my stories are considered Short Realistic Fiction, Semi-Fiction, and Short Horror/Thriller. Some of my stories are morality driven, point out negative stereotypes, misogyny, Karmic justice, revenge, self-respect and lack there of. That's only naming a few themes for some of my stories. If someone were to read my short stories, he/she would gasp at my work. As a former college professor of mine once said, "You have a lot of horrible people in your stories." We both had a good laugh at his comment. Yes, I do because people can be horrible. There are a lot more opportunists in today's society, who are intentionally cunning, as well as cruel, misogynistic, and sociopathic. I say this based on my own personal experiences with people from all walks of life. Most people always feel the need to remind me, that I have a "very morbid and pessimistic outlook on life." That is only because the people, who label me as being "morbid" and "pessimistic" love living in denial. They have this tendency to believe, that everyone is his/her "friend" or happen to be naive to the fact, that not everything in life is all bunnies and sunshine. The moment something doesn't go his/her way in life, regardless if it's something incredibly petty or serious, he/she either loses his/her mind, commits suicide, becomes extremely defensive because of his/her self-entitled mentality, or fears that the apocalypse is approaching within a matter of seconds. It is too overwhelming for he/she to fathom.


From my perspective, I have become a much stronger person because of my pessimism. Then again, I'm also a "depressive realist." I am used to not always getting my way in life because I have experienced and had to overcome many crises, health scares, tragedies, traumas, and other forms of adversities, that the average person may never have to experience and/overcome. Some of these issues that I, as well as others, have had to endure are the driving forces behind my writing in general. Whenever I wrote poetry, it was for my own catharsis and my short stories always allowed my imagination to run wild. I hope that what I said helps some of you, in case you are experiencing writer's block. With that being said, let me know what you think about my suggestions.


© 2013 RealistMe


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Writers block does not happen to me often but when it does, I put on the coffee, light some candles, put on the music and let my mind wander through itself. I think this is sometimes the best of my work. However I never know where and when my "weirdness" is going to appear. Good article! I enjoyed it. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

RealistMe

10 Years Ago

Thanks! I need to write some more pages to my latest story. I keep backburning it because I have to .. read more



Reviews

I never have writers block honestly... there are times that I don't write because of other priorities in my life; but if you set me down with a pen and a piece of paper, the words come naturally. What I usually do is get an idea before I go to sleep, and then I write down a few key points, or lines I particularly liked (I have hundreds of these, and honestly, they are almost all excellent and creative). And while I really want to just write it already, I deliberately don't. (Sometimes I will keep that note for a year or so, and then come back to it, it helps me decide if the idea is actually good or not, because we often get too enamored with the thrill of discovery. I have excellent memory, and all it takes is maybe 5 or 6 key words, and the idea in its entirety comes back to me.) Once I decide I am actually going to write a piece, I spend the next day just thinking over the idea, how to get it to flow, what sort of meaning it could make, and just generally meditating on it while I work (Throwing freight, physical labor which puts you into a certain zone). After that day is over, I just sit down, and spew it all down on paper. The product is consistently higher quality than if I don't restrain myself for a day of thinking. I then wait a couple weeks, then revisit the story idea, see if I missed anything, and then revise what I have. Then wait another few weeks, and then revise it again. You find new things each time, after your mind has had a chance to readjust to a new perspective. Sometimes I will just stare at a piece of paper for like half an hour... but it isn't because I have a block, but because I have too much flowing at once. I have to take some time to focus it. :) Once that pen goes to paper, it doesn't stop; and I easily write a 10-20 page piece in about 2 hours. So it is no exaggeration that the most time consuming part for me, is in fact, the contemplating I do before hand.

Posted 10 Years Ago


RealistMe

10 Years Ago

Yes, I already do some of what you mentioned. Although, some of the other suggestions you mentioned .. read more
Writers block does not happen to me often but when it does, I put on the coffee, light some candles, put on the music and let my mind wander through itself. I think this is sometimes the best of my work. However I never know where and when my "weirdness" is going to appear. Good article! I enjoyed it. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

RealistMe

10 Years Ago

Thanks! I need to write some more pages to my latest story. I keep backburning it because I have to .. read more
I can never write as many thoughts as you but I write for an outlet of release, that's what is poetry for. Its an artform of emotions we poured direct from our personal experience. I am not that realistic but I am practical or are they the same, no matter, writer's block, some say its the biggest hindrance in a career, I say writing is a skill that needs to be mold and hone well, we can't become a writer in an instant, we need to discover our creativity first, the very heart of your passion. I guess what I am suggesting is try to love what you do and find peace of mind first to write what you wanted. Anything that is rush will not turn out good enough. Great thoughts you have here.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

RealistMe

10 Years Ago

Yes, I absolutely agree. Thank you!
captain

10 Years Ago

you're welcome! :)
I had to laugh at the sunshine and bunnies effect, Ill add to that the rainbows in a cloudless sky, I gather the society effect all to well myself, I liked also what you said about the health and things you endured. I gather that concept to a tee as well. I guess my outlook for some one has the writers block would be stop drop and roll! Yes its a fire out there, Stop- see what is, not what isn't, Drop- drop all the thoughts of life and allow it to flow, Roll- sometimes ya just have to go with it:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

RealistMe

10 Years Ago

I'm glad you got a laugh at the bunnies and sunshine. My current chapbook is called, "It's Not All B.. read more
0000000000000000000000000000

10 Years Ago

Smiles lol I like it:) the other name is awesome too:) You are very welcome:)
I think you are right people tend to want to bury their head in the sand and pretend that the boogeyman does'nt exist when he does in every murderer ,rapist,thief.I think you are a very competent writer because you sound like you have had to overcome a lot .Keep writing you are awesome:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

RealistMe

10 Years Ago

Yes, I have and thanks you so much for the review. I know I haven't posted more of my own stories on.. read more
Vidya Bacchus

10 Years Ago

You are welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

300 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 19, 2013
Last Updated on November 19, 2013
Tags: Writer's Block, My Writing Strategies, My Chapbook, Short Realistic Fiction, Semi- Fiction, Short Horror/Thriller

Author

RealistMe
RealistMe

Wauwatosa, WI



About
I am a diversified, MULTI-RACIAL woman, and have a BA in Asian Studies with a Creative Writing Minor. I am a writer, blogger, website owner, and a former DJ/Radio Show Hostess for my own radio show at.. more..

Writing
Model Parent Model Parent

A Story by RealistMe



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Underground Underground

A Poem by s y e