2: Electro-Magnetic Disturbance

2: Electro-Magnetic Disturbance

A Chapter by Timothy W. Rees
"

The second installment in Danan Campbell's origin story.

"
Electro-Magnetic Disturbance


His mind was ripped back to reality by the freezing water of the shower.
He stared back down to his right hand, which almost seemed to stare back.
Electricity slowly faded into existence around his hand and electrified the droplets of water that hit it.
Reaching around for the shower knobs he turned off the water and arched over as the water dripped off his body.
Eyes opening slowly, filled with purpose.

********************************************

"There's someone in here!" a group of fire-fighters stormed into the now destroyed generator room, looking for survivors, and they found one.
They pulled the rubble of his bloodied body, exposing his torso and head to the air
"Are you hurt?" one of the fire-fighters asked as he raised the man's head up
"N...n.. no... but he's... he's still there" Mr. Anderson's weakened voice whispered
His rescuer took out a canteen and placed it to Mr. Anderson's mouth allowing the man to get a small sip of water
"Small sips, it's better for you"
"Get... him... out... he's still here" Mr. Anderson pleaded 
The fire-fighters scanned the room carefully
"It doesn't look like there's any one else in here... living or dead" one of them said to the injured man
"Search the room anyway!" the fire rescue officer ordered "now, lets lift you out of this rubble and get you to a..."
Mr. Anderson's body let out a huge Electro-Magnetic Pulse.
The lights flickered off and shorted, shooting sparks everywhere, the ear pieces the fire-fighters wore let out a deafening sound and they shrieked in pain.
A horrified look filled the fire rescue officer's eyes
"Stop the search! we need to get this guy to a hospital immediately"
"At least one of us should stay to look, I volunteer" one of the other fire-fighters shouted in protest
"All right, you stay, the rest of you, lets get moving" He hoisted Mr. Anderson onto his shoulders and moved quickly but carefully through the rubble.

The remaining fire-fighter found the main control panel, a decent 10 or so metres away from where Mr. Anderson was found, and he saw a clearing of the rubble, A clean patch, in the silhouette of a man, surrounded by the carbon residue caused by the explosion.

Mr. Anderson was placed in an ambulance, the lead officer of the fire-fighters shot around to the other men and spoke plainly
"I'll need at least 3 people to tell them what you saw here"
Some volunteered, the rest returned to the search.
As the ambulance left the grounds of The Tri-larian Power Facility, Police established a perimeter to keep people back from the grounds, especially the media.
As the ambulance drove off, still in view of the grounds, a huge EMP emitted from the ambulance the ambulance drifted to a stop as the battery shut off, street lights exploded in sparks
People's mobile phones shut off, and a three block radius around the ambulance lost power

"What the hell was that!?" The paramedic exclaimed
"We don't know, but his body seems to be emitting some kind of..."
"Electro-magnetic pulse" one of the other Firemen chimed in "it's an EMP"
"Yeah, that..."
The paramedic tried to turn on the ambulance again, the ambulance groaned but refused to start.
"give it another go, but don't flood the engine"
He turned the key again and the ambulance sprung back to life
"Good to see that it still wants to work, has this EMP thing happened before"
"Yes"
"Then lets get to the hospital before it happens again" he exclaimed as he put the siren on full blare and slamming his foot down onto the accelerator.


***********************************


Doctors stormed through the hospital, Mr. Anderson was sprawled on a stretcher as he was moved through the hospital to a vacant room
"get him on the bed"
A fireman lifted the man onto the hospital bed, the lead doctor moved to the side and turned to the other smoke jumpers  "Now what the hell am I dealing with here..."
The Chief looked to the one who chimed in before.
"His body emits Electro... EMPs, we found him in one of the generator rooms at the Power Plant"
"Then we had better call Tri-Larian Industries to find out exactly what caused this, you lot will have to stay here for now, I need someone to explain this to the monkey suits when they get here."

*********************************

Back at the Power Plant the remaining fireman walked outside and approached the police officers
"I'm gunna need some people to help me search in there"
"I'll radio in and see what we can do, but you should just get more firemen down here"
The fire-fighter looked into the facility, and just as he did, he saw a shadowed figure out the corner of his eye slowly move through the facility.
His heart started racing
"There's... Someone in there" he shouted.
The officers shot around in alarm to see the fireman running back inside
"Hey wait!" as four officers ran in after him

The team of five emergency workers stormed into the building as they looked around frantically. Arriving in one of the more conventional generator rooms, filled with rubble and debris, the emergency workers had their eyes caught by one detail, a single working but damaged generator in the middle of the room.
"There's no one in here" one of the officers said in frustration, scanning the room over and over hoping to prove himself wrong
A large sound erupted from behind them, as another EMP went off, shorting the remaining generator; it sparked and flared, The EMP gave the malfunctioning alternator the last push it needed to go critical.
"Get out of this room now!" one of the accompanying policeman yelled as he ran out of the room.

The spectators outside the power plant screamed as an explosion erupted in an unknown part of the building, they scrambled from behind the sidelines, many rushing backward in fear of the danger that may follow.

"CONNOR!" A police officer exclaimed as he raced toward the building, fearful for the friend he may have just lost in that building, he raced up the stairs, jumping from one step to the next to avoid the assortment of debris.
Panting heavily, stopping for nothing he raced in to the foyer of the building, and was halted in his stead.

He couldn't believe his eyes.

At the front of the building, the remaining officers went to race in after the rogue cop a figure emerged from the power plant.
The figure appeared as a corpse, so battered and broken, that onlookers were amazed he was alive, others fearful that he may spell a more unnatural end.
"I'm so sorry" the dead man whispered as he went limp and fell, tumbling down the stairs to the bottom, the remains of his name tag jumping off and sliding on the ground a small distance.
The officers raced to him, but one walked up to the name tag, checking who this man may be
"Dan... This guy is a worker"
"Get him to the hospital!, radio ahead and tell them there's another one..."



© 2015 Timothy W. Rees


Author's Note

Timothy W. Rees
Version 2
Do you think this chapter had enough in it? does it need more content?

Do you think it's well written?

Do you feel the story telling has been rushed?

Have you been able to identify to the two villains that have thus far been introduced?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on March 12, 2015
Last Updated on September 7, 2015
Tags: Superhero, murder, vigilante, Static, electricity, science fiction, action


Author

Timothy W. Rees
Timothy W. Rees

Bundaberg, Central, Amestris., Australia



About
Well, you know the name, or at least you have the ability to read it. I currently work and whenever time permits and I feel creative I write. I want to one day share my completed stories everywhere,.. more..

Writing