We Don't Live

We Don't Live

A Poem by ReedWrite
"

Deep thoughts for a Friday

"


We don’t live our lives in black and white,

Or at least, we were never meant to.

The world’s alive with a vibrant energy,

Full of people that pulse in every hue.

 

We don’t live our lives inside a box,

Or at least, that was never the plan.

The world’s a kaleidoscope of individuality,

As unique as a snowflake, or grain of sand.

 

We don’t live our lives immersed in hate,

Or at least, love's supposed to conquer all.

Still we bury our conscience and carry on,

Unaware we're headed for the ultimate fall.


© 2017 ReedWrite


Author's Note

ReedWrite
Not sure what I'm trying to say here...the words are in my head, trying to get out...this is pretty rough atm. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I taught U.S. history for quite a few years. I always tried to stress the strengths that are to be found in individuals, no matter what race, religion, ethnic background, that have contributed to our great nation. I always had difficulty with the calling of America ,"The Great Melting Pot."

I felt a "melting pot" reduces all the elements in it to the lowest common denominator. Instead I tried to portray us as a gigantic mosaic where each group brings their uniqueness and through all of it manifests a "work of art" a 'nation' the likes of which the world has never seen before.

Posted 7 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Great way to look at it...a gigantic mosaic. Thank you for the read and review.
Dave

7 Years Ago

You are more than welcome. I expect to be reading more of your writing.



Reviews

'We Don't Live'
ReedWrite,
Beginning each line with 'We don't live' caused me to wonder, to question, to do an exam of how I think. How do I live and interact with others and how do I view differences in personality, life style...so many things to numerous to mention. I am just one person in a great big world. I think that every one is just trying to live and find meaning as best they can. We look and embrace so many things. Well your above piece was very good and needed too. Thanks for the honest write from the heart.
Kathy

Posted 4 Years Ago


LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! This is a great message, much needed in our current world of strife & division. I like the way you start each stanza with a statement, then you kinda walk it back a little in the next line, & finally the last two lines of every stanza paint a picture of a deeper meaning. I love it when a poet crafts a message with parallel structure, like this . . . making variations on a theme which go together well & show a different viewpoint.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

TY Barleygirl!
Your reviews are always so rich and meaningful. You see people's work through .. read more
quite deep. thought provoking. there are no absolutes - we're all mixed bags. love survives because that is they way it was meant to be - no good thing ever dies. hate does not survive. we carry on being who & what we are in love and that is the essence of life, unique ...

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

You are wise, Pete...and I agree with those words. Thank you for stopping by to read and comment.
To me, this piece speaks of the beauty within the various shades of life. We're all connected, like pieces of a puzzle, trying to fit together and form one beautiful image, but nevertheless, we're all different pieces.
I will admit, though, that you lost me at the last line, but the overall essence of the piece still bleeds through clearly, especially with the smooth, unforced rhyme to aid in the readability.
Thank you for sharing.

- William Liston

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you, William. I appreciate your comments.
you are the most vibrant writer i must say.
such a wonderful thought it is that you expressed.
beautiful and true.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Wajiha!
Appreciate your review.
Wajiha Nayeem

7 Years Ago

pleasure was all mine..
we are all like puzzle pieces that come together as a whole but sometimes the puzzle is broken but comes together again and again nice work poet.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

So true. Thanks for dropping in to read it, Andrew!
"The world’s a kaleidoscope of individuality,
As unique as a snowflake, or grain of sand."

Those two lines alone could stand on their own merit! And the photo gives great impact to your words!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Kelly. Appreciate your review.
Well put together and quite thought provoking. Thank you for sharing:)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Troy!
If everyone felt alone and isolated in a crowd, the intensity of denial radiated between each of us would blot out our individuality, as we had all succumbed to ‘sameness’! Thank heavens for diversity, well highlighted within the poetic contents of your write … well done my friend!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Phill. Appreciate you taking time to read and comment.
Simply put, this is an excellent poem, I really enjoyed it! :D

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thanks so much, Sami!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1234 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on January 20, 2017
Last Updated on April 10, 2017
Tags: love, life, acceptance, respect, appreciation, differences, diversity, cooperation

Author

ReedWrite
ReedWrite

Omaha, NE



About
After a decade trapped by distractions, I'm pursuing my passion once again. I come from a military background...a Navy brat...and my father (now deceased) and brother, are both published writers...so .. more..

Writing
IF IF

A Poem by ReedWrite


Who Am I? Who Am I?

A Poem by ReedWrite



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


IF IF

A Poem by ReedWrite