Intro. The Contest

Intro. The Contest

A Chapter by Arron Steep

The gracious Anthine looked down from her perch at the Citadel, dressed in the fairest gown of light and pearl. Her hair, as dark as the night, and dressed in points of light as beautiful as the stars, flowed from her shoulders.

            “When will you learn, dear sister, that to care for those people is folly,” admonished the strong Destin. He joined her upon the miranda, and gazed out over the plains of Kar. “The brethren have long ago decided to leave the mortals to their useless lives. What use have we to care for such creatures?”

            Anthine eyed her brother sympathetically. “There is more to the race of men then you give them credit, brother. In their perceived weakness, there is a strength to endure. It is admirable.”

            “Strength in weakness? Your words are alien to me, I find no profit in such a saying. They are born of the dust, their lives as brief as a flowering bud, and all they work for nothing.”

            “One day I hope you see as I do,” Anthine sighed. “Perhaps even, were I to bring to you proof of my belief? What if I were to bring before your council a man of valor and integrity, a man of sort worthy to stand at the Citadel?”

            “Your challenge is set then,” goaded on Destin, with a gleam of amusement in upon his countenance. “Bring to me a man of worth, and I shall recount my words. Though I doubt, most verily, that such a feat can be had in all of Kar.”

“Just you wait, dearest,” Anthine replied, taking her brother’s arm. “Before the sun sets upon the Edge of the World, I shall bring to the Citadel the very man you doth conceive not to be.”


Anthine was most eager to begin her quest, but in wisdom first sought the aid of her allied brethren, of her dearest friends of the Citadel.

To the first, she sought the god of wind and storm. Anthine asked of Seraph (for that was his name) a means by which to traverse the earth. Therefore did Seraph give to her a powerful chariot, adorned in opal and sapphire, glowing of rainbow’s light, and driven by the four winds of heaven.

“For the best of ways to take is upon the exalted empyrean heights! No passage is more sure, nor swift then this!” So said Seraph proudly. “If indeed such a man exists to be found, from here shall he be overcome!”

Anthine thanked Seraph graciously, and then set out to meet her second allied brethren, those of her dearest friends of the Citadel.

The second of allies, was the goddess of sight and truth. Anthine asked of Libra (for that was her name), a means by which to search the earth. Therefore did Libra give to her a dainty, looking glass of crystal and quartz.

“For the best of ways to see is by this Looking Glass, from which none can hide or disguise.” Libra insisted, “If indeed a man exists to be found, with this shall be spotted.”

Anthine thanked Libra graciously, and now well prepared, made forth upon the winds to look for the Man of Kar.

 

Yet there was one among the gods of the Citadel who despised the very hope that Anthine had. The goddess of death and chaos, Halla, set in her heart to come against the quest with all that was in her power.

And so it was, as Anthine was carried by Seraph’s chariot through the sky, that Halla plotted against her. As Anthine gazed intently through Libra’s Looking Glass, searching, Halla cast her lot with the foul powers of the air. In every way possible, Halla came against Anthine, and prevented her progress.

Yet Anthine took up of her own power and struck back--and unmatched, Halla withdrew, though only to plot further trials for the quest.



© 2016 Arron Steep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on September 11, 2016
Last Updated on September 11, 2016





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5