ONE: A New Perception

ONE: A New Perception

A Chapter by Ryter

Hello, world, my name is Kevin Miller. I was born normal; I was raised normal. My life was what you would call average, but there's more to my life than you can understand. I’ve noticed many things in this brief place called Humberville. Well, obviously, you haven’t heard of this fair town, which is quite small in length, width and height, but nevertheless, it is decent. It has the basic necessities of a market, bank, a park, a movie theater, etc; you know the basic things you need to keep yourself entertained in a town of this size, and though it doesn’t seem like much, but it’s what I’ve grown up with.

Now, where are my manners? As I’ve mentioned before, I’m Kevin Miller. There's really not much about me besides that I fit right in. I have the short dark brown hair, as everyone else, and the same dark brown eyes as everyone else. I see the same as everyone else. All is equal, and who wouldn’t like that? I mean, think of it. There’s no racism, nor hate in the world; it’s all in the Law of Equality, passed in the year 2259. Didn’t you know? No? Really, are you sure, because that’s rather strange for you not to know? Normally everyone gets Linked to a Link Hopper, and boom you know everything that you wish to know, in a matter of hours, and much more easier to absorb that reading words on paper, though writing and reading are still practiced, but in those high grade schools, you know, the one's that are paid to be in the Northern Side of the Grid. There still is poverty but it's not really looked at.

Well, dear listener, it must be pretty far into the future, because there are no books into it in the Post Era. I mean, think of it, how silly is that, books? You must be listening to my final Projection, because I’ve been running out of battery, but you see, that is the point, dear viewer, or listener. I have chosen to leave the battery of this Recorder to die, because I am being followed by the organization that I once called friend, the sinister C.O.E. I’ve really learned to come to dislike them, but why dear reader, am I speaking against them? Why have I come to dislike them? Well, that is the reason I am broadcasting this Projection. I have hacked the Central Mainframe, and am broadcasting into every major Link Hopper Station on this planet, so I can show you the truth, friend. Now…Let’s begin.


There is no day quite like it. It is the most exciting day of all Cosmos. Praise Cosmos! It is the day where we all get together and celebrate the victory of Cosmos over Rebellion 32, the last vicious alliance where the Plagued rioted all over this extraordinary place, and just devastated everything. They murdered, what monsters, and they tore everything apart; there was burning and there was death all over; there was no room for anyone who was equal in New America. How disgusting, I always have said. It was the most horrible thing that could have ever happened to this great country, and yet there were people that supported them, but I didn't worry on that that much because there were all Reprogrammed. So with all that at mind, I was at ease, and I could just get to the point of today.

Today was very special because it was the celebration of a life time. Well, honestly no, because it happens every year, but nevertheless it was rather worth the wait because Cosmos had always had something extravagant in mind. I waited for what seemed like eternity and I was just about to get ready when I had gotten a message through my Holophone, a cellular devise used for communication at this time. I stood there looking at the message. I was surprised because it was from one of my old friends from high school. I went into the kitchen, where the room was yellowish and the counter tops were raised to just above the waist, and set the Holophone on the table. The message read: "Kevin, help… I need your help Kevin. Please, it’s me Lydia. I will be stopping by your house not to long after you get this message. I've got something that I've got to tell you about."

I wondered what in the name of Cosmos she was talking about. The next message came in not to long after that: "I have some information of the C.O.E. and Cosmos." This last message was very, very disturbing. No one ever talked about Cosmos like that, or even mentioned the name in a sentence. I was absolutely shocked at what she said. The only way was to address Cosmos as praising it. We have to be forever grateful to the great government that had given us this great Equality to the world.

I stood up and walked to the refrigerator and got over back to the table. I believed that there wasn't much that I could do, but wait for her to arrive. I remember Lydia from high school. She was the only one that was different from our home country. She had blonde hair and silver eyes. It was strange seeing her being picked on by everyone else. I remember that I would be at football practice, an ancient sport that was played from the old times before the Post Era, I'd have to step in a put Cosmos into the thoughts of people. Yet there was nothing that I can do from the words that the Averages called her. Though I had watched out for her, she was still the rebellious one. The instructors would convict her of being Plagued. It wasn't true though. I remember talking to her about the very subject and she would say that she loved Cosmos, and the C.O.E. until death, but the people would always insult her.

There was nothing more to think of because there was a knock on the window. I walked over to it and glanced out to the beautiful sunlit sky as the gleaming grass shined the greyness that it always has for the last hundreds of years. The sun gleamed of its greyness and warmth down onto the wonderfully paved roads that showed perfection. For some reason, Lydia's appearance was the only one that seemed to stand out, because at times of randomness, the greyness would change. It was a strange change; I really couldn't explain it because you wouldn't understand. It was a strange change, but for some reason, I knew what it was. I knew what it was, but when I would talk about it to my other friends, they'd always looked at me as if I was crazy, so I just kept the changing to myself.

When I looked out the window, there was a large crash that was through the window, and then there was a person kneeling in front of me. It was Lydia, and she looked exhausted, and she was bloody. I didn't understand why she was looking like this. Her hair was a mess and her clothes were all torn up. She stood up and glanced at me. "Hello, Kevin. It's been a while." Her smile was as gorgeous as it always was. It was more unique than the rest for obvious reasons, but wait, what am I saying; in the name of Cosmos this isn't right.


It was strange, really. I was looking at her and she had just didn't look the same. I had always wanted to see her, but now that I am I didn't really understand why I wanted to see her. It was an interesting sight to see her again because I had many questions that I wanted to ask her about. Lydia was standing there looking at me with a grin that I had not seen her wear before. "Hey, Lydia," I replied to her in shock.

"How have you been," she chuckled with her grin. Lydia had such a soothing voice when she wanted it to be, but if you were to get her upset, she would go off on you. I felt weird having her in front of me.

"I've been great, just going on with Cosmos," I said to her. "Do you want some water?"

"Of course," Lydia said. "I'm thirsty."

I finally snapped out of my formalities and said, "Hey, what the hell happened to you?"

Lydia's face had changed almost instantly from happiness and bliss to sorrows and depression. I don't know what happened to me, and I wasn't aware why I had to just get that out of my system. "I've been away from my health, as I've always said. Didn't you get my letters that I sent you?"

"Yes, I got them, but I wanted to hear from your voice. Why didn't you call me?" I watched as she sat down. Lydia's eyes were focused on her hands that were just playing with each other's fingers. I could tell that she was holding back something. It was the tone in her voice that just gave her away that she was in deep thought as her eyes ran about the table.

I gave her water, and she took it out of my hands not a moment too soon. "Kevin, it's been a while, do you mind if I just rest for a little bit." Though I would've been more sympathetic towards her, but there's just something that I had to know. I needed to know why she left those nights so long ago. I needed to know why she was running.

"I guess that would be alright, but what did you have to talk to me about. I got your messages from your holophone. I thought that it was shut down." I sat on the other end of the table. I noticed the scars that were along the edge of her neck. Though she was smiling at me, the scars ruined her happiness. I knew what those scars were, but I wanted her to tell me what they really where, because I just can't seem to comprehend that the great Cosmos did that. "Lydia, I need to know. I'm sorry, but it just can't wait."

Lydia sighed and made eye contact with me. "Darling, there are just something’s that you can't understand, even if you tried. If I told you, you wouldn't believe me and then you'd simply run out on me as most people have done in this God forsaken country." Who was god? I've never heard of this word used in that manner. "Some things aren't meant to be said just �"" She was interrupted by the beeping sound of my holophone. "Turn that damn thing off. They might be listening." Lydia moved back almost terrified by the holophone's presence. She grabbed my holophone from my hands and took out the battery.

I didn't understand why she did that. It made me thing that she was crazy, but then again I shouldn't be calling her crazy. I knew that she had her reasons, but I didn't know what it was. There were many things that were running through my mind. Of course, the idea that she was crazy was most definitely running through my mind, but nevertheless, there were a few others: One was that she was either running away from Cosmos, or Lydia was just suffering from a rare old disease called Paranoia. I wasn't sure though.

"Who might be listening," I asked, curiously, but yet with concern.

"Who else," Lydia replied. "Your precious government is the ones who are listening to us."

I couldn't believe what she had just said. "How could you say such a thing?" I said this more aggressive than I intended. "Cosmos would never do such a thing. Cosmos respects the fact of privacy and you know it."

"Really now." Lydia looked at me with a look that said. "Aw, you don't believe me, huh?" She then said. "Well, be aware that they know everything about you. They know that you've been contacted by me, and you will soon be contacted by your great Cosmos." She said this in such a way that it gave me chills down my spine. How could she say such blasphemy? It was like she really did lose her mind.

"You don't know what you're talking about, Lydia. You're just upset at the system." I raised my voice. I began to wonder why I had gotten so upset so fast. That wasn't me.

"Well, then, if you think that way, no wonder this world will fall apart before you," Lydia said this bitterly. "Be aware that they control every aspect of your life; that's the reason why you're reacting violently. They have embedded it into the computer chip that you have planted at the top of your tooth. You think that you have free-will, Kevin, of course not. You don't even know what free-will is. Free-will is the ability to say what's on your mind, not think it. Free-will is the ability to do as you wish, and express yourself."

I have just about had it with her. I was about to get really upset, but I was able to control myself. "Lydia… I'm asking you nicely to leave. You may take the front door, or the back as you wish; whatever suits your insane ambitions."

Lydia looked at me with a look of sorrow. "Of all the people, I thought you were different. I thought you would like to know the truth, but I guess not. Kevin, I just want you to know this. In the end, when you have nothing, but that stupid Job Ceremony certificate saying that you can't do anything but the job enlisted to you, don't come crying to me when you aren't able for freedom." She got up and pulled out a letter from her hand. "Here, I got you this. It's something I've wanted to give you." She threw the card on the table and then walked out of the room.

I heard the door from behind shut. I was almost shocked as to what she was doing. How could she betray me like this, after all that I had done for her? I looked at the pink envelope that Lydia had left on the table. It smelled of her perfume that she always had had the liking of. It was bonded with a heart on the back.

I opened up the envelope and took out the letters. It was a picture and a little piece of paper that was folded by four. I looked at the picture. It was me and Lydia holding each other. It was the day that she and I went to the Daily Hunger. We were about sixteen or seventeen. It was so long ago. I could hardly remember this event. All I knew was that we went there for my friend Bryan's Genesis, or the day that he was created. I haven't heard from him for what seemed like years, but for some reason it didn't bother me. I noticed how happy we were. I recall that's when I wanted to ask her to be my mate, but it never happened.

What I found to be strange about the picture was that it contained the Change. Her hair was different, and her eyes bled the Change as well. I found myself looking at the picture me and it too had the Change. I looked around in the room, and everything was as it should be; giving off the greyness as it normally does. I was shocked to the find out that everything remained the way it was except me and Lydia. It was almost too much to bear so I placed the picture facing down on the table.

I opened the small piece of paper. It had a note written inside. I wondered what it meant. I didn't understand it that well, but I was able to make out some of the words after some trying. "I know, transcend the illusion." I didn't know what to make of it, so I searched up what it mean. It turned out that it was misspelled. When I corrected it, the note read: "I know…Transcend the Illusion."


The night had shown its magnificence later that evening. It was the only time that I felt happy and balanced. Though it wasn't much, there were still many things to do in the Festival. I had always looked forward to the Festivals because I was able to hang out with my friends and their Mates, and go out to eat at the establishments that Cosmos had brought us. The great symbol of Cosmos, a great C the color of white with a star in the middle of it, was shown on every building. The park was dressed with lights and other fabulous colorful brightness. The greys simply faded with the blacks and gave contrast to the whites. I loved it rather very much; not once have I ceased to love the pale and dullness of the situation.

As I walked into Cosmos Central Park 256, I saw the beauty that the many activities there was to do at this great Festival. There were the exciting rides of riding around in a circle with the common animal known as a Donkey. Another one was the one where you'd throw balls into a barrel from a distance and win a card that read "I love Cosmos!!" That extra exclamation mark was sure rebellious against the system, but the great Cosmos allowed it on those cards. They allowed what they called Controlled Fun, and I enjoyed it. It was safe, predictable, and rather enjoyable to the Norm.

I went about to go to the edge of the fountain in the middle of the park where me and my friends had always met up at these kinds of events. I remember being young of age and going to the Festivals with my parents, who were now in the central place where they were taken by Cosmos to the forbidden city of Haven. Cosmos has told me that they were treated with respect and were admitted into the Circle of Elites, and from what I've heard, it is the highest honor that any citizen can receive in their life time, so I was indeed proud of them to be able to serve Cosmos.

I waited for about a few minutes, and then my friend Johnny Christ. He looked rather glad to see me, as well as his Mate Kendra. They were always together when I saw them, and I was quite content with them. I noticed that Johnny had gotten a hair trim and he proudly showed it. Johnny had always had this thing about his hair. He had always found it fascinating for some reason, but I never was interested in the things that when he talks about his hair.

Kendra was like any other woman that you'd meet, except for one thing. She was an extremely advocate of worshiping Cosmos. She'd always be in the church of Cosmos even though it wasn't necessary for her to continue, but yet Kendra was always there going on about how much she loved Cosmos, I mean don't get me wrong, I love Cosmos as well, but to her extent was far more extreme that mine was. I remember seeing her give most of her earnings to Cosmos almost every week. She would always be there at the assembly and Kendra would always be in the Gates of Cosmos, the book that Cosmos has allowed us to read.

I stood up and I shook Johnny's hand as he told me. "Hey, Kevin, how are you? It's been a while."

"Yeah, it has," I replied with a grin on my face. "Kendra, how have you been?"

"I've been pretty decent. Thanks to Cosmos. It has blessed me with such extravagance." Kendra was cheerful as she said this. "Everything has been really great. Johnny and I are going to be partnered."

"Really," I asked with happiness for them. "Hey, man, that's great." I patted Johnny on the shoulder. "I can't believe it. It’s been three years right?"

"Yeah," Johnny replied to me in slight bliss. "Of course, I can't believe it myself either." Johnny was never the one to express emotions, mainly because the job that he was planning on getting elected for, the Coroner, required such lack of emotion because it involved getting the deceased loved ones of others and mutilating them. I wasn't much for it, but Cosmos demanded that all bodies be disposed of after the time of death, and if it was Cosmos's will then we must obey him for he knows what's best for us.

I remember when my Great-Mother Bearer passed on to what Cosmos called the Beyond, a place where the computer chips that are imbedded in our brains, that contain all of our memories, were stored. It was rumored that it was they were stored in a place where everyone could view them in the city of Haven. I remember the day like it was only three years, six months, and nine days ago. She had passed and then was sent to the Coroner. It was an exciting day because she had been expecting it. My Grand-Mother Bearer was planning on passing into the Beyond because she was curious as to what it was. I remember her Grieving Ceremony. It was filled with flashing lights and happiness around. Everyone cheered as her coffin was allowed into the funeral room. We were then presented by one of the Elite Members, Cliché Evile Character, and her most precious memories. We viewed her birth, and some of her childhood friends. We were showed her first Partner and Procreation of my Father Bearer. We all cheered as my Father Bearer was born later on. Then we were presented her greatness in her assigned job, which was Babysitter.

Anyway, getting back on track, Johnny, Kendra, and I went about our yearly activities at this Festival. We got on the rides, won several cards and stickers, and small stuffed animals that have gone extinct in the last hundred years. What were they called again? Oh, yes, they were called dogs. It was such a strange little animal. I wonder how they were when they were around. From what I've seen in Projections, the dog was "man's best friend." Whatever that means, I assumed they were friendly and loving. After eating the good that Cosmos had brought upon us, we went for a drink in the late night breeze of grey.

We were all sitting at a table about a nice setting. An umbrella was in the middle of the glass table that we chose to sit at. The flowers shined their white against the black background. It smelled of wondrous food from the surrounding carts that were placed there. All the people seemed to be enjoying themselves as they all were complimenting the things that Cosmos has brought us.

We were all enjoying the scenery as the flashing lights changed to a different shade of grey, as we sat down. Oh, what a privilege being able to sit more than five minutes is. Cosmo never allowed us to sit for more than five minutes because there were always people that would need to eat also, and it was fair, but today was different. Today Cosmos allows us to sit for as long as we want, which is good because sometimes you like to enjoy your meal, but i prefer to only eat for five minutes; anything else would be wasteful.

"Oh, what a gorgeous night," Kendra exclaimed as she took a drink from her fruit flavored beverage.

"Yeah, it is," I replied to her as Johnny adjusted himself in his seat. As this occurred, I was at the thought of what happened to Lydia. Where did she go, and what was she to do if she was on the run? Wait, what am I saying? Cosmos would never do something like that. They would just ask her to go with them in those black vehicles that the C.O.E. always drives around in. "Hey, have you all heard from Lydia?"

"Whom," Johnny asked puzzled. "Oh, you mean, the Odd Child? No, we haven't heard from her." Johnny never took a liking to Lydia, mainly because she was different, and he knew it. It was like it was job to go on and just make her life miserable for being strange, but we must obey Cosmos for the rules that it tells us.

"Have you heard anything from her," I directed my attention to Kendra.

"No," Kendra replied. "Not ever since she ran away somewhere. Why are you asking about her? Did you see her?"

"Yes, I did. Lydia was acting very strange. I hadn't seen her act like that before. She was also covered in some strange clothing. It was completely white from what I can tell, and it seemed as if the clothes hadn't been washed properly for weeks." I wondered for her health, and how she was doing, but Cosmos told me not to get involved. Just as I thought of this, my Holophone beeped. When I checked it, I found out that it was a message from Lydia. It read: "Come, help, please. I need your help, Kevin. I'm at the Daily Hunger in the back. Please hurry."


I was suddenly stricken by confusion as I read the message that I just received. What did Lydia mean? I felt myself swallow my saliva as thoughts of confusion ran through my mind. Cosmos wouldn't do such a thing if that was what Lydia was talking about. I wondered about it constantly as I began to look around, and then it happened. The change happened. The contrast was suddenly more vivid and more elusive, but then it was gone just like that, and then a sudden head ache, nothing major, but it was something that you could deal with, appeared, bugging my temples. I wasn't quite aware why I had gotten a headache. I hadn't been to the Curer in such a long time, but that's because I was keeping up with good health. I began breathing more deeply and held the side of my temple.

"Hey, are you ok?" Kendra asked me as she took a sip from her drink. "You seem to have dazed a bit."

"Indeed," Johnny spoke this time. "Would you like some essence?" Essence; what was that? Of all the things Cosmos, what is that? I've never heard something like that. That was when my train of thought changed as Johnny repeated his words. "Do you need some Essence?"

"Yes, please," I replied. I took the silver pill from his hand and ate it. Essence, according to Cosmos is the cure for questioning. If we are to question too much, we end up being targeted by the C.O.E. and no one wants to be on that list. I mean, why would you want to get on the bad side of Cosmos, but then again he doesn't have a bad side because he cares for all of us. I was glad that I took that pill. It felt relieving almost extravagant that I did. But then…the head ache hit me again when the memory of the message slapped me in the face. I grabbed at my temples. "We need to go," I said as I glanced at my friends, who were looking at me with a concerned stare on their face.

"Are you sure," Johnny asked. "But we had just got here."

"Lydia is in trouble." I stood up and walked away from the table with glances of worrisome.

I began to walk towards the door of the small venue, when I heard Kendra's voice say. "Hey, wait for us, we're coming with you."

I turned towards her and pondered why she was coming with me. Then I noticed Johnny, who was smiling at me. "Even though I don't like her, she is still our friend, and friends stick to…gether." He flinched as he said this. Maybe he was getting a headache as well, but I wasn't sure of it, though his face told me a lot of his thoughts.

"Alright," I smiled. They knew that I cared for Lydia, and they were willing to support me, even at the risk of Cosmos.


We drove up to the Daily Hunger not to long after that. It was an extravagant place with nice seating and other various things that some people say paradise to, but other than that, the food was simply amazing. They had the greatest selection of Fluoride based Tofu that the city has to offer. There was no need to go and take animals and murder them then mutilate them to the most devastating of proportions. It was simply unethical. Animals are our friends, but some people loved animals so much, they've actually passed a law that allows humans to partner with animals in the Southern Portion of the Grid. Of course, I was never into that kind of thing, but if the people were happy, and Cosmos knew it, it really didn't matter too much, but getting back on track the Daily Hunger was looking as marvelous as ever and I couldn't believe that I was here once again.

I heard Kendra and Johnny watch in admiration as the lights flickered on and off because this was new to the Daily Hunger; never have we seen the brilliance of bright greys and dark blacks and whites shine in the way that this sight had offered us. I personally haven't been here in such a long time, almost five years it must have been.

I remember that I used to come here with my Family Unit and companions after school. I wasn't quite sure, but this place was heaven to me. As it turned out, I was flooded by the memories from my Memory Chip into my brain. I remember get-togethers that were hosted by Lydia and my Birthgivers at the time of my Genesis. I wondered then, why would anyone would want to get their chip reprogrammed due to Insubordination? Oh, Lydia, why must you rebel?

I received another message to my holophone. When I read it, as we walked down into the Daily Hunger, I was asked to take my seat with Johnny and Kendra, but I wasn't just about to sit down. I read the message that I had received. It was from Lydia. "Kevin, please, come over here. I'm around the back." Of course, I was going to help her. "Hey, Johnny, wait right here for me, or come along. I'm going to look for Lydia."

"Ok," Johnny immediately sat down at an outside table and was served some of the finest water that the Daily Hunger had to offer. I suddenly felt disappointment, but it didn't bother me as much as the sudden headache that came not to long after that.

I noticed how the cloud bays over head were suddenly greyed, even darker then lights that shined on them from the city's brightness, and it didn't help with the mood that the ominous glowing that had just began to hover above the Daily Hunger. I wondered why it seemed to Change out of nowhere, and only when I decided not to sit down and be offered Water.

I walked to the darkened alleyway just as the C.O.E. patrol car went past by from where I was. I felt guilty that I had to sneak around them. I had the highest respect for them. They were doing their jobs, protecting us from the revolting and the constant rebellion of the Unaware. I just hated how people always wanted to go against our beloved Cosmos. I continued my walk to the back of the restaurant where the rats were sliming around and the empty boxes that will be filled with the Homeless of Humberville. The stench that came off of its presence was simply aggravating to my nose. I saw the slime, sliding down the ways around the corners of the alleyway that was surrounding the scenery. The sight of this slime was just simply revolting; I nearly vomited at the sight as I walked past by the glowing of it all.

It wasn't long till I noticed one of the Homeless point in another direction from which the one I was walking. I looked at him and he murmured lowly. "The one you seek, whom is seeking you, lies within the other side of the walls to the right." I glanced at him. The eyes that he possessed looked as if they have been through so much and that they had much more knowledge than one of the Elites in Haven, but that was simply dumb to say.

I walked in the direction that this man had directed me. I grew weary when I came closer to the walls that he had spoken of. There was the darkening feel of the sense of dread beginning to feel in the depths of my stomach. The Sweat then began to drench my palms and torment me from the inside out. That's when I noticed that there was something on the floor when the Change took place. I saw drops of a liquid, but it wasn't any ordinary liquid. I hoped, and prayed to Cosmos that it wasn't what I believed it to be…blood.

I immediately ran forward and found a bundle jacket. It was black and soft, but it had been torn in the ends of the sleeves and there were holes on the torso area. It didn't click until it I heard a distinct call, a whisper almost, not to far from where I knelt from picking up the jacket, say. "Kevin?" It was Lydia's. I glanced upwards and sprinted towards her.

I knelt next to her, and that's when I saw a small trail of blood that was spotted around her stomach area. "Lydia, what happened?!" I picked her up and held her. The sense of dread suddenly increased when she coughed drastically.

She looked at me and smiled. "I knew you were different." Her hand reached up and touched my cheek. "I was attacked, Kevin." She leaned her head against my chest. I was feeling strange, then a headache, and then calming, soothing. What was this feeling that I felt? I felt warm, but worried, almost too worried.

"Don't worry, Lydia, I'm going to get you to a Healing Center." I picked her up and rushed around the corner, almost slipping on the blood as I went. I needed to get her to a Healer as fast a possible and I wasn't about to let her die.

I heard footsteps around the beginning of the restaurant. It was Johnny, who was laughing holding a bottle of, from what I can tell, the best Water in the Daily Hunger. I went about towards him, almost rushing with Lydia in my arms. "Johnny contact a Healer, we need one right now."

"Why, what happ…" He saw Lydia in my arms. "What happened to the Odd Child?!"

"She says that she was attacked," I urged. "Call the damn Healers!" I shouted at him.

"Ok, Ok," Johnny pulled out his holophone, and began to project the Healer's code. It wasn't long before he came about. "Hello, we have an emergency."

"Please state your emergency," the Healer said.

Johnny and I walked to the front of the Daily Hunger and to my car, as Johnny said. "We have a woman that has a wound on her torso, maybe from a gun shot; we aren't sure." Johnny loaded the door to my car and helped me put Lydia, who was already getting lighter in the tone of her skin. I could feel her pulse fading away from her wrist, where I had placed my hand. I got in the back seat with Lydia and held her as Johnny got into the front seat.

"Don't worry, Lydia," I said stroking her hair. "We'll get you there…Johnny hurry up." I saw him run around the car and got into through the door. Johnny started it and then drove on. As I felt the rumble of the car as the hover wheels begin to lift the car with its gentleness, I felt Lydia cough softly. I never had felt such worrisome in my life, so much though that it drove me almost too just jump out of the car.

What is this feeling? I thought, as I glanced down at Lydia, who was leaning her head down on my lap. I could see her hair begin to change once again. Why did it do that? That was when a piercing pain in my left temple began to pulsate. I flinched at the sudden urge to strike out at something, due to the fact that it was this pain that started to strike me dearly. Why does this always happen when I begin to thin… I was stricken by the pain again. I held it in. Sweat began to fall down my forehead. "Johnny, are we almost there?"

"Yes, just hang on," Johnny's voice was filled with what seemed to be concern, but I wasn't so sure about it.

As it turned out, I could see the Healing Center just up ahead from where we were. The tall white building the rose into the towering black cloud banks above. It was here where Humans were produced, and tested on for the Vaccines that our dear Cosmos had given us, to protect us from the Evilness, a dread form of information that brings about this certain type of feeling, a knowing of some sort. I wasn't exactly sure what this Evilness really was, but what was on my mind was getting Lydia to safety.

I looked down at her. Her skin was fading into a pale white, I can feel her grow cold, and I wasn't sure why. Why did she feel so cold? Why did I let her go? It’s my entirely fault? Really? Yes, it is my fault, I let her go. "Lydia, please be ok."

I don't remember much after that, being too distraught seeing the blood seep from her torso to my legs. I do remember taking her inside and letting the Healers do their job. I watched as the light white walls and olive green doors swung back and forth as she was taken on a flatbed inside and then disappear from my sights.



© 2014 Ryter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on February 10, 2014
Last Updated on February 10, 2014


Author

Ryter
Ryter

Angel City, TX



About
I am a freelance novelist and blogger of the unknown, and hidden truth. I'm currently writing fiction and political satire, and sometimes other various froms of literature, as long as I can write i'm .. more..

Writing