A Fine Day Indeed

A Fine Day Indeed

A Story by Retro_Wave
"

A brother serving in Vietnam in 1968 writes his younger brother at home.

"
Sam opened the letter from his brother on the front lines in Vietnam.

"Dear my beloved little brother Sam,

 It's a blessing to get another day. Despite how we feel sometimes, it's good to still exist and be able to face a new day. It's hard for me at times to see the good in things. I miss you, bud. I miss how we used to hang out and talk a lot. Sometimes when we march in the morning to the next village, I see the clouds. Man, the clouds look so amazing. They kinda remind me of the clouds you drew the last time you wrote me. I remember you used to show me the drawings you made. Brother, you really have a talent for drawing. You have like, a gift for it. While I was drawing stick figures, you were making full-fledged masterpieces that belonged in museums. Yeah man, I still can't believe how fast you grew. Mom sent me a picture of you a few months back. It's hard to see how time flies. God willing, this war ends soon and I get to go home. Hey, then again, I could get shot in the crack and get a purple heart. That'll bring me back home sooner. Anyway, listen Sammy, I know things back home probably are dull, but I want you to pass in school. They're bringing guys by the boatload over here and I don't wanna see you be one of em. The environment around is tense. I know for a fact that's there's eyes around looking at us. But ya know? To be honest with you little bro, I'm not afraid. There's people fighting alongside me in this war. I have support, and you do too. Don't think for one minute I'll forget you. Because I'm not. You're in my thoughts everyday and I pray to God above that you stay safe back home. Mom tells me you got your whole life ahead of you. You're gonna be alright, Sammy. You just keep your head up. Hey, you wanna hear a funny saying that makes sense?

It goes, "how do you eat an elephant?"

One bite at a time.

Right? Or.. was it talking about eating one piece of food on your plate? I forgot, but it went something like that. 

But yeah, little brother, just keep goin' man. Because everyday is different. We have our good days and bad days, but they're days. I mean, some people don't got that opportunity. I saw a poor guy a couple weeks back, caught shrapnel in both eyes. Blind. So it made me think and appreciate life a bit more. They're telling us that a camera crew from homeside is gonna be filming us in the field. I'm thinkin about moonin them when they show up. Anyway, Sammy, I gotta stop here. I love you. Tell ma and pa i'll write em too. 

Your older brother, Theo." 

© 2017 Retro_Wave


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow! I love this. Can't wait to see more!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Very very creative! I love this. Keep going

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
2 Reviews
Added on December 8, 2017
Last Updated on December 8, 2017