Chapter 1- Nikki (Only Chance)

Chapter 1- Nikki (Only Chance)

A Chapter by Rhonda

Chapter 1- Nikki

  "Today we're watching a movie about Afghan and Pakastani women." announced Ms. Grady.  "After you watch this movie, you'll see how the life is like there. The languages they speak are Urdu, Punjabi, and Seraiki in Pakistan and Dari in Afghanistan. Nikki, may you please turn the lights off?"

   "Yes Ms. Grady." I said. I slowly stood up and walked to the light switch. I quickly flipped the three light switches unanxious to watch the video. "This'll be boring." I thought as I walked back to my desk.

   "Oh brother." Jessica said to me as if she were really bored. "This'll be boring." Ms. Grady started started to turn the VCR on.

   "Exactly what I'm thinking." I replied to my friend. Jessica has been my friend since kindergarten. I've had her overy almost every weekend. I still do. We even ride on the same school bus.

   The movie begun with the title "Life in Afghanistan and Pakistan".

 

   The bell rung after the movie ended. "Tomorrow we'll be watching a movie called Osama." Ms. Grady announced after we were walking through the door out to the hallway.

   "Wow!" I said to Jessica gloomly. "Their lives are bad."

   "Yeah, really bad."

   "I wanna do something about it."

   "Hi Nikki. Hi Jess." said Janessa as we were reaching the lockers.

   "Hi Nessa." I replied.

   "Hey Nessa." said Jessica.

   "What are we doing in history today?" Janessa asked.

   "A video." Jessica replied while she was opening her locker.

   "What kind?"

   "You'll see." I said avoiding telling her the horrible lives the Afghan and Paistani people live.

   "Why won't you tell me" Janessa asked in a whiny voice.

   "Like I said, you'll see."

   "Snap! One minute until the bell rings!" Jessica said sounding paniky.

   "See you Nessa, see you Jess."

   "Bye!" they both said and walked off to their classes. Sixth period was the worst class. I prepared to go to match class alone. The bell rung as soon as I sat down in the fourth row, fifth desk.

   "Just in time Nikki." Ms. Bravely said to me. "Now today we'll be learning more about fractions. Please copy these problems on a sheet of paper and solve them." Suddently I felt someone poking me on the back.

   "Hi Nikki." the person said after I turned around. I knew it was Trudy who was in my history class too.

   "Hi Trudy."

   "Remember that movie in history class?"

   "Yes Trudy, sad isn't it?"

   "Very much. I feel like researching it. You know, more about it. Would you like to come over to my house after school to reasearch with me?"

   "Would Jess and Nessa be mad at me?" I thought. "Sure. You walk home right?" I asked.

   "Yeah, I do."

   "Ok, all I need to do is call my mom to tell her where I'm going.

   "Ok."

   "Trudy, Nikki, please do your work." Ms. Bravely yelled angrily.

   "Yes Ms. Bravely." we both replied.

 

    "Wow! That's not right for a women to get burned like that." I said gloomly looking at the picture off the computer screen.

   "Yes, it's not right." Trudy said angrily. "How can her parents let her look at women who get burned in Afghanistan?"  I thought. Her parents weren't home, but maybe her parents would find out.

   "I feel like doing something about it." I said smashing my fist on the table. "But how?"

   "We should make a club!" Trudy replied excitedly.

   "Yes, we should! You, me, Jessica, and Janessa!"

   "What should we name it?" We stopped to think for a minute. The only noise you could hear was the clock ticking. "Snap! It's 4:30! I have to get home!" I thought.

   "Hey Trudy, I have to go home. Meet me at my locker in the morning. It's number 283."

   "Ok. Bye Nikki! I'll think of names."

   " I will too." I screamed walking out the door.

   That night I just kept thinkin of names. "World Peace? World Help?" I said to myself sitting in bed at midnight.

   As soon as I knew it, it was 6:00 a.m. I slept for four hours, 2-6.

   "Yes, Friday!" I thought excitedly. I made my bed. My linen purple sheets felt soft. Part of me wanted to get up anxious to get to school early, but part of me was anxious ro lay in my warm and soft bed to sleep the hours I missed.

 

   "Hi." Trudy came up to my locker.

   "Hi, did you think of a name? I couldn't."

   "No, but why don't we wait until we tell Jessica and Janessa?" I could understand that two twelve year old girls couldn't think of a name for a club to help those kind of people.

   "Good idea Trudy. The bell's about to ring. Sit at our table at lunch. We'll tell them together."

   



© 2010 Rhonda


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the beginning of the story. Look forward to what the young ladies will do now. Description and story open a door for a very good story.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 13, 2010
Last Updated on January 14, 2010
Previous Versions


Author

Rhonda
Rhonda

CA



About
I'm 13. I love to write and I love Arabic music and culture. No, my avatar is not a photo of me! It's a photo of my favorite singer, Nancy Ajram! Yes, I am American! more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Rhonda


Loneliness Loneliness

A Poem by Rhonda