Ghost Child

Ghost Child

A Story by Rhiannon Dragonraine
"

something that happened to me that just begged to be written about.

"

     Late last night, the chill of the early morning hours wrapping around me. My bare feet pad across the fuzzy carpet and then gingerly touch the  cold linoleum of the bathroom floor as I walk to the sink and set down the humidifier jug, switching on the faucet to refill it. The sound of running water fills my ears as movement in the hall catches my eye. At first my still alert brain thinks it is my golden retriever; who is never far from my side. Then I notice the difference in the height. My brain registers that this figure is too tall to be my dog and my eyes drift back to the door.

     Within my periphral vision a few details become clear. I gasp as I realize it is a young boy. Sandy hair tops a chubby face. Though it's features aren't distinct I surmise from the size and the childishness of the figure that this small being must be between three and five years old.A mustard yellow long sleved button up shirt; disheveld and askew drapes over his small shoulders. Brown shorts that seem a size too big large cover him to his knees, as he stands hands clasped watching me. Looking out the corner of my eye I can not see his feet or shoes, if there are any.

     Slightly confused my mind whirls: Why is a child here in my home and at this hour? Where did he come from? How did he get in my house? What in the world am I supposed to do with this kid; wake the neighbors this early in the morning to find out where he belongs? Finally resolving that something needs to be said, perhaps he can tell me where he bleongs, I resolutely turn. Shock shivers  down through my spine as I am surprised to see that there is nothing there at all. I am unable think for a few seconds, my mind struggling to comprehend what has just occurred. One second he was there and the next he wasn't.

     I quickly shut off the faucet that is now overflowing the resevaroir and dart out of the bathroom. Down the hall I dart carefully checking each room, closets, under the beds, behind and under all furniture. I find noone save myself and my two beloved canine companions. I check both the front and back door to find them closed and locked as they were when I shut off the TV and headed into my room hours earlier. Confused but now exhausted I quietly wish that whoever he is he finds his way home safely and make my way into the bedroom and lay down, passing out more quickly than normal.

     Hours later when I awake, I sleepily head to the front door intending to let my dogs out as always, only to find door standing wide open to the world. I double check the house, let my dogs out and blinking I ask myself: What in the world did I see and what happened here last night?...

© 2008 Rhiannon Dragonraine


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

That would for sure be most unsettling, and it would spawn so many questions: who was the little boy? why did he appear to you? why were you able to see him?

Chills indeed! Please keep us updated if you see him again or find anything out about who he is (was)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I like the way your words send shivers down the spine rhi, I love a good ghost story and this is every bit of spooky and fun to read, the paranormal side of things, your words reflect in mnay ways a classic sighting, and what a strange accurence to

behold, to see a chold out of the corner of the eye, with such feature that it leads the mind to conclude that the child is real and that perhaps lost and found their way into your home, that in itself is spooky even if the child had been real, but seeing

as how the front door was open, perhaps it was a real person, yet, ghosts have beem known to do some pretty strange things, reminds me of my own experience, sometimes
all one can do is ponder and ask, great job, great ending.
Take Care, Mike

Hours later when I awake, I sleepily head to the front door intending to let my dogs out as always, only to find door standing wide open to the world. I double check the house, let my dogs out and blinking I ask myself: What in the world did I see and what happened here last night?...



Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow -- thrilling and exciting, tho I can certainly see how such an experience would be disorienting! If she's re-posted her works, look up Avgogh's writing here on the Cafe. She writes of many similar occurrences. I think you might find a strong kinship there!

Do please let us know if the little boy returns .... and thanks so much for sharing this visit. Blessings to you both!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

odd things such as this happen to me a lot - sometimes in the dark place between sleep and wakefulness when I can write it off to a dream - but sometimes in the light of day where I know something extraordinary has occurred. I have yet to find any meaning in these things - and no danger either - so I simply take them in and find some acceptance of them. An eerie piece though, great job.

laura

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That would for sure be most unsettling, and it would spawn so many questions: who was the little boy? why did he appear to you? why were you able to see him?

Chills indeed! Please keep us updated if you see him again or find anything out about who he is (was)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed the imagery you used. It was very vivid, and I felt as though I was there. The story gave me chills. Did this really happen?

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 29, 2008

Author

Rhiannon Dragonraine
Rhiannon Dragonraine

Waynesville, MO



About
I am a person who is on a journey to discover who and what they are. Everyday brings new surprises and ideas and I love that about life; the constant change used to scare me but now I am moving beyon.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Old movies Old movies

A Poem by emz