Wishing on the Blue Moon...

Wishing on the Blue Moon...

A Story by Rhiannon Dragonraine

 

The ebony ribbon of sky caressed the horizon as stars began to sparkle like diamonds, adding warmth to the otherwise frigid depths of blackness in which they hung. As she watched the moon crested over the stark edge created when land seemed to meet sky. The normally silvery light was not present this night instead the glowing orb of the moon radiated a sallow cerulean light that painted the landscape in pale sapphire hues. Saryah gasped at the scene laid out before her as she realized she was witnessing the elusive and momentous occurrence of a full blue moon. The moon climbed higher within the darkness of the sky, the air sparked with energy and the stars seemed to brighten and become closer the higher the azure moon soared into the firmament.
          Saryah felt the energy arch through her and then a strange occurrence; velvet soft, translucent wings sprung from her back, bringing with them surprise. As she stood there staring up at the moon Saryah felt them stretch, unfurling behind her. Experimentally she fluttered them; “Oh!” she exclaimed as her new wings lifted her a few feet off the ground.
          After the initial shock and newness wore off, Saryah decided she liked the feel of the air as it moved against the gossamer of her newly sprouted crystalline, amethyst-hued wings. The edge of her dress lifted in the breeze she made with her wings as she continued to hover there just above the ground. Holding out her arms Saryah spun around giggling; it never occurred to her to question why she had suddenly sprouted wings, she already thought she knew. Nana Gina had always told her anything could happen in the light of a blue moon. Saryah smiled and closed her eyes remembering her grandmother’s stories she heard her voice dancing on the breeze “It’s a rare opportunity Saryah, to see the light of a full blue moon; dreams can come true; just remember to be careful what you wish for little one…” the warning falling away to joyous laughter that filled her ears.
          Saryah’s eyes snapped open and she saw three small specks of light coming toward her. The closer they came the larger they got until she could see they were three luminous women who stood in front of her. She took a moment to inspect each one. The first one she noticed was young with a willowy build, her golden hair streaming down her back and fading into the darkness of the night, she was dressed in a gown that could only be described as being made from the colors of the sunrise; it shimmered and flowed changing color with every slight move. The girl’s eyes were the most incandescent shade of indigo Saryah had ever seen, and her laughter tinkled reminding her of the sound of bells. Upon finish her perusal of the first woman Saryah moved her gaze to the second woman, who appeared mature yet not bent with age, in fact this woman was very vibrant and curvaceous, her belly obviously swelled with the weight of a child in her womb. Her deep chestnut colored hair swirled around her rounded face gracefully waving down to her waist. This woman’s breast were obviously full of milk and covered in a gown that looked to be made of the very grass they stood upon so deep an emerald was the hue. Saryah looked directly into the woman’s eyes and almost got lost in the soft chocolate colored depths.
          Moving onward she assessed the last woman whose face displayed the age that her demeanor obscured. Her kindly face was lined in wrinkles and topped with a mass of silver hair that streamed behind her in an iridescent mass. Her body sagged though her shoulders did not. She was dressed in a modest gown in the deepest obsidian and reflected the light reminiscent of a raven’s wing, looking up Saryah was struck by the inky charcoal of her eyes that seemed to peer right through her.
          None of the women seemed to be threatening in any manner in fact they seemed to radiate peace and harmony causing Saryah to feel instantly at ease in their presence.
They looked at one another and she could almost sense the communication that was made without words as it moved between them as they floated there translucent and yet solid. After a few minutes the second woman came forward closer to where Saryah hovered her amethyst wings fluttering behind her.
          “Welcome Saryah,” said the woman in a melodious voice which seemed to resonate through the entire clearing. “I am Terra, this...” she said motioning to the younger woman “...is Aurora, and this is Wisdom” she concluded motioning to the older woman on her other side. “We are surprised to see you here; it was unexpected at this time.” Terra said thoughtfully as if carefully choosing her words.
          “You know me?” Saryah asked her voice laced with curiosity.
          “Of course we do” giggled Aurora from her spot.
          “Sometimes better than you know yourself” finished Wisdom
          “Then why are you surprised to see me here I always come here on the Full Moon!” said Saryah.
          “No you don’t always come here.” Said Wisdom finally moving forward, surprisingly graceful in her movements.
Confusion creased Saryah’s brow at this strange comment as she began to look around the glen she knew and loved only to see that it had faded from view, in its place was nothing but azure moonlight. Saryah blinked thinking it was a trick of her eyes but as she continued to watch the light began to shift and move like clouds.
          “You are confused.” Said Terra” that is understandable…in fact it is why we are here.” She intoned moving to put a comforting hand on Saryah’s shoulder” had you given yourself time to learn you would understand but you have not and so we are here to ensure this is what you want and that you comprehend what is occurring. We can not do anything about your choice it is already made but perhaps we can help you through it.” She said lovingly, a hint of sadness coloring her words.
          “I-I don’t understand...” stuttered Saryah looking at each woman questioningly.
          “Of course you don’t, little one.” Soothed wisdom “But that is okay you will come to understand it though it might take awhile, however we will explain.”
          The bluish clouds moved around them and begin to swirl changing colors as they moved in a never-ending spiral. Saryah found herself watching the swirling colors, around and around until she was so dizzy her stomach lurched. The three women conferred silently among themselves again and suddenly the clouds calmed and faded uncovering a beautiful grove filled with golden and silver trees and emerald green grass. The expanse of grass was scattered with flowers of every kind in vibrant jewel tones and the grass looked very inviting. Aurora, Terra and Wisdom seemed to settle on the grass daintily and motioned for Saryah to join them and rest her wings.
          They all sat down in the grove and Saryah swore she heard the trees make a collective sigh, the earth underneath her vibrated with energy and the flowers and grass seemed to trill sweet euphonic music.
          “You Sweet Saryah, you witnessed the Blue moon tonight. We know your Nana Gina told you that dreams and wishes could come true, and that is a reality, she warned you to be careful what you wish for…”imparted Wisdom in a grandmotherly tone.
          “You- You know Nana Gina? I know I saw the Full Blue Moon but I didn’t- I didn’t…” uttered Saryah somewhat confused.
          “Ah but you did Saryah, within your heart.” related Terra “you wished you were someone else which brings us to where we are now.”
          Saryah shook her head denying the truth they were speaking, she knew she had wished for a different life even if she had not voiced it, but she was still confused.
          “You see little one…”the melodious voice of Aurora imparted to her “for every new beginning…”
          “There must be an ending.” finished Wisdom.
          The three women watched as comprehension dawned on Saryah, their eyes filled with compassion and love for her as she struggled to understand her current circumstances
          “You mean I am…” she whispered unable to complete her sentence.
The three nodded in unison answering her unasked question. Wisdom waved her age knurled hand and a small cloud formed in front of Saryah, it swirled and then cleared showing her a clear picture of the clearing she went to on Full moons and of herself lying quietly in the middle of the clearing, unmoving. A gasp escaped Saryah’s lips as she starred at the scene trying to deny it. She looked down at her hands and realized they were nothing but light, in fact her entire being including her butterfly like wings consisted of luminosity and nothing more. When she looked up the cloud and the women had disappeared and she was left in the grove. The music of the trees and plants soothed her and she explored finding this place filled with animals and other light beings.
          At first Saryah was shy and did not speak until she saw a face she recognized; Nana Gina.
          “Oh little one…I am so glad to see you though it should have been years what happened?” Nana Gina asked her
          “I wished on the Blue moon to be someone else, to have a different life and I found myself here, three women brought me, Nana Gina” she recounted excitedly
While her Nana nodded knowingly.
          “Ah yes, Aurora, Terra and Wisdom, the are the fates, my little love, but that still doesn’t explain why you are here, this is the place for those who need rest, your light seems very vibrant and if a new life and new experiences was what you wanted why are you hanging around here little one?” Nana Gina said emphatically.
          “Well where else is there Nana?” asked Saryah as she held her grandmother’s hand.
          Turning Nana Gina led Saryah over to a cave in the side of a large grass covered hill; Saryah leaned forward and saw a light at the other end of the cave. Curious she looked to her Nana in askance.
          “There…that is where you will find you wish, my sweet little girl, it is where you must go.” Nana Gina said pointing into the cave and with a hug pushed Saryah toward the cave. Looking over her shoulder, turning once to hug her grandmother again and hearing a whispered “I love you little one, go ahead and go I will be here when you get back.” Saryah released her hold on her Grandmother and stepped toward the cave taking a deep breath she began to walk into the cave, its warm darkness enfolded her as she moved forward. It seemed as if the cave went on for a long time and though she thought about turning around she found herself not wanting to, instead she continued forward until she neared the other end where light shone brilliantly.
          As she neared the exit of the cave she was bewildered by the sounds that grew louder the nearer she got to the cave’s exit, the last thing she seemed to notice hearing was a beeping and a scream.
 
 
          “One more push, Mrs. Smith, you’re almost there!” said the doctor as the tiny body slid from its mother giving a hearty cry.

          “Congratulations, Mrs. Smith you have a healthy baby girl.” Exclaimed the doctor as he set the tiny child in its mothers arms, standing back to view the miracle that was mother and child he could have swore the baby had an almost knowing smile on its face.

© 2008 Rhiannon Dragonraine


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You have created such a beautiful story. The young girl's wish to be someone else ending with her as the spirit of the newborn, wonderful. I enjoyed reading this. You have a wonderful way of leading the reader on an amazing journey. Well done.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 29, 2008

Author

Rhiannon Dragonraine
Rhiannon Dragonraine

Waynesville, MO



About
I am a person who is on a journey to discover who and what they are. Everyday brings new surprises and ideas and I love that about life; the constant change used to scare me but now I am moving beyon.. more..

Writing