HISTORY OF THE WORLD: 1965 to 1975: After the Hammerfist War

HISTORY OF THE WORLD: 1965 to 1975: After the Hammerfist War

A Chapter by Joe
"

After the infamous Hammerfist War, the relocated Hammerfists were met with discrimination. This is a brief account of that discrimination and a look at the group known as the Tie Wearers.

"

 

1965-1975: After the Hammerfist War, with a Specific Look at the Tie Wearers

 

I had been getting used to life after the Hammerfist War. I had found a job and a wonderful wife. The only thing is I get looks everywhere I go. People see my Hammerfist and silently judge me; up until last week that is. Last week Abigail, that’s my wife, and I moved into a new neighborhood. The night we moved in we had a brick thrown through our bedroom window with a note attached that read: HAMMERFIST FREAK! It was my first experience with Tie Wearers.

 -From The Journal of Holland Marks: A Hammerfist

 

 

Athens, Cold Europe

 

The relocation of Hammerfists in 1965 brought much dispute throughout the world. Businesses were either wary r completely against employing men and women who had once been used to kill and destroy entire cities. Many Hammerfists brought the issue of employment discrimination to the courts around the world, but, even though the law of 1913 had made discrimination illegal, almost all courts claimed the businesses had the right to refuse the Hammerfists.

It’s no secret that Hammerfists were treated unequally after the Hammerfist War. Some restaurants and public areas banned them from the premises, though this was a rarer even then some historical pieces make out. Based on a 1969 Business Report Document, only 3 out of 15 businesses actually banned Hammerfists. What these reports do not show is how the other 12 businesses treated this minority group.

In many businesses only certain products or services were available to Hammerfists. These were general items, such as soap or milk, and contained a sticker bearing a silver fist. The approved products were often inferior to the ones unavailable to that minority.

Other businesses, instead of selling Hammerfist-approved products, had a higher price of sale for the Hammerfists. They generally had an increase of one figure, but some raised the product price to almost five dollars more.

Businesses weren’t the only discriminates against Hammerfists. In 1967, two years after the end of the Hammerfist War, many governments, including the Cold European United Board and the Summer Europe National Board, made it mandatory for every Hammerfist to be registered with the territory. In these areas it was very common for Hammerfists to be monitored.

In other places, most notably in many territories of the Separated States of Asia, governments separated the Hammerfists from society by putting them in slums or labor camps. Sometimes, but rarely, the Hammerfists were placed into military troops. This often failed as a tactic, as, during the deprogramming of the Hammerfists, their combat and military training was forgotten.

These matters and many others passed in society without a blink of an eye until the mind-70’s, during the highest activity of the Tie Wearers.

 

 

Athens, Cold Europe: 1970

 

Athens is a small territory in the middle of Cold Europe. It draws in sources from surrounding territories while exporting precious ores and metals. For the most part, it is a mining territory, though the northern region is large in the radio industry.

            With a population of 73 million (census of 1959) Athens is far from an overwhelming territory. Very rarely does anything come out of it that makes a difference in the world, but when it does it makes a huge difference.

            In 1842, in the city of Art, Athens, William B. Rocket created the world’s first home radio. Five years later the Rocket Radio had been spread around the world with national stations throughout.

            In 1857, in Collin, Athens, Mary Ann Newton proposed the idea of a world-wide monetary system. In 1858, after much planning and work, the Newton Dollar was spread around the world.

            The territory of Athens is also the birthplace of one of the world’s most boisterous and active movements: the Tie Wearers.

            The official story of the first Tie Wearers is that of Lucas Mane. Mane was a young Hammerfist who had been relocated in Parranassus, Athens in 1969. On January 13, 1970, Lucas had been going to a local Parranassus supermarket when he was attacked, in plain daylight, by a group of men in red ties and t-shirts. The men beat Mane with hammers and bats until the young man was dead. As onlookers stared at the Hammerfist’s bloody body, the men announced that they carried out the actions of the Tie Wearers.

            After this brutal attack others started occurring around Parranassus, all by men in red ties and t-shirts and all against Hammerfists. By the end of the year 1970, almost a hundred Hammerfists had been killed and only three attackers had been arrested for their crime.

            After a public speech made by Cold Europe President, Easter St. Andrew, calling for a cease to the killings, the attacks decreased against the Hammerfists. In their place came the vandalism and threats against the homes of the minority group. Bricks were thrown through windows, threatening phone calls were made in the middle of the night, and graffiti was painted on walls.

            Though the victims of the harassments made calls to the police, authorities claimed there was nothing they could do about the matter. The threats and harassment continued throughout the early 70’s until mid973, when Dr. Bruce Hank, a geneticist and Tie Wearer in Karen, Athens, presented his now-infamous Tie Wearer Speech in the Cold Europe Board of Territories.

            In his speech, which was televised all around the glove, Hank explained how the Hammerfists were ‘genetically inferior to humans’ and how they were ‘in utter pain and agony’. He encouraged everyone around the world that if they see a Hammerfist they should ‘put it out of its misery.’

            The speech shocked everyone in the Board and Hank was immediately removed from session. It wasn’t until the following week, however, that President St. Andrew went on television telling how despicable Hank’s speech was and how incorrect it was, but by this time nearly two hundred Hammerfists had been killed and the attacks that had stopped in 1970 had begun once again. The difference, this time, was there was police action.

            The attackers were arrested and tried for murder (while before the few arrested were tried for assault) and p8ut to death in many territories around the world. The Tie Wearer killings had everyone everywhere looking at their own treatment of the Hammerfists. In 1975, the President of the United Provinces of North America went on television and revealed the Citizen Act.

            The Citizen Act made it illegal for businesses and companies to discriminate against Hammerfists. It also made it repealed its law requiring the registration of all Hammerfists and erased all registration files already documented.

            In his speech, the President also sincerely apologized for the horrendous treatment of the Hammerfists and publically began the United Provinces of North America Hammerfist Relief Fund. The Fund was officially for making the deprogramming and redistribution of Hammerfist War Victims easier, but it was no secret that it was a concrete apology for the awful treatment they endured.

            After the President’s speech, other territories around the world followed swiftly and introduced their own versions of the Citizens Act. Within a year, every territory accepted Hammerfists as citizens of the world.

            After 1976, the number of Tie Wears decreased dramatically, though, even today, there are accounts of harassments on Hammerfists that resemble those of the early 70’s.



© 2009 Joe


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

good one

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
1 Review
Added on November 20, 2009


Author

Joe
Joe

Des Moines, IA



About
I am a Christian-raised Agnostic who loves to read and write, particularly the science fiction and horror genres. My main philosophy on life is this: There is no predestined point in our lives, so we.. more..

Writing
A Doctor's Visit A Doctor's Visit

A Story by Joe


A Dialogue A Dialogue

A Story by Joe