Writer's Block.

Writer's Block.

A Story by RibhyMay
"

What to write when you can't think of what to write.

"
Having a creative mind is like having 2487 tabs open on your laptop all at once. But if your laptop is a crappy one like mine, you will know that eventually it will frazzle and sputter and short out completely, leaving a very frustrated and confused you to remember all you can from your tragic two years that was GCSE IT, and attempt absolutely everything to fix it.
This, is writer's block.
Trying to reboot your laptop takes time. You start with the obvious turn-it-off-and-turn-it-on-again approach, but this only causes your laptop to hiss and hum, as the circuit boards and fancy buttons grind together, trying to piece together it's shattered memory. You try this approach for some time; minutes turn into hours, hours turn into days, days turn into weeks, until you have to physically stop yourself from hurling your laptop out of your bedroom window, and flounce off, to make yourself a well deserved cup of tea.
The next approach is to just leave it. Leave it and hope the problem will go away by itself. You know that it won't, but by this point you are really trying to avoid another laptop-out-of-the-window incident, so you persevere. Sure. living without a laptop can be somewhat soul destroying, but you manage well enough, even if it does mean missing a scandalous amount of not-so-legally downloaded episodes of Gavin and Stacey. But the longer you leave it, the harder it gets, so after you physically stop yourself from hurling your laptop out of the window for the second time, you decide to try something a little bit different.
You have reached breaking point. You have tried and tried, so you decide to make the ultimate sacrifice; letting someone else fix your laptop. Going into the shop with your beloved possession clutched in your arms, secretly wondering if you deleted enough of your internet history to mask the fact that you were reading gay fanfiction last week, is one of the most terrifying thoughts you can even imagine. You hope and you pray that your laptop will soon be fixed, and more importantly, so you can catch up on all of those tv episodes you missed. But, knowing your luck, the computer "genius" will hand you back your laptop with a discount on the repairs because they accidentally deleted everything and couldn't restore it. So you resist the temptation to hurl your laptop at them, and, as soon as you get home, plonk the laptop onto your desk, and leave it there for a very long time. 
After a month or so, you discover your laptop under piles of books and pizza boxes. You had completely forgotten it was there, or that you even had a laptop; you had been so busy, the broken laptop had completely escaped your mind. So you sit down at your desk, and brush off the layer of dust and pizza toppings, before opening it up. Oh what the hell, you think. One more try couldn't hurt. So you click the on button and wait. And wait. And wait. The screen flickers into life, and the white writing in the centre says "Restoring previous session...".
You have done it. So you sit back in your chair, 
Flex your fingers,
And begin to write.

© 2016 RibhyMay


Author's Note

RibhyMay
Reviews much appreciated, not so sure about this one!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love the comparison! This is such a clever story, and so very fitting.

Posted 8 Years Ago


RibhyMay

8 Years Ago

Thank you! It seems the only thing to break my writers block was, well, writers block...
I sometimes have a similar problem with my labia...

Posted 8 Years Ago


I think many of us faces this problem...I can surely relate to this....You just put out a lovely concept....I love the to the point vision of this story....Your readers will love reading this as they will relate to this one very well.....Full ratings!!!! Clappings!!!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


RibhyMay

8 Years Ago

Ah, thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it! (Funnily enough this broke my writers block..)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 9, 2016
Last Updated on February 9, 2016

Author

RibhyMay
RibhyMay

Devon, United Kingdom



About
- Unconventional Writer. - One of Britain's most average specimens. - Socially inept. - Has good days and bad days. - Likes crap telly and hot beverages. - Is somewhat musical. - Life ambition:.. more..

Writing
Paper Cuts. Paper Cuts.

A Poem by RibhyMay


Letter No. 4 Letter No. 4

A Story by RibhyMay