Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
How It Started

How It Started

A Chapter by Rin Kagamine

Long ago there was a town full of normal people who did normal things all through out their normal lives. They were simple people, no different than the rest of humanity. It was a quiet town where nothing special ever happened. They didn't have skyscrapers or big stores and corporations. They didn't even have many cars. Everything was small and quiet. That was why the facility was built near it. 

The government had launched Project EASE. The goal was to make humanity a gentler race and create world peace at long last. The facility housed 174 scientists, 8 government officials, 64 hired guards, and 83 soldiers. 

The soldiers were ordered to make sure that under no circumstances was Project EASE ever to come to light. They were to capture anyone suspicious and take them in for questioning and, if it came to it, shoot down uncooperative intruders. The guards were to make sure that the officials and scientists came to no harm and that any prisoner did not escape. The officials watched the scientists and made sure they were doing their job to achieve their goal by any means necessary.

Experiments were done to reduce the amount of carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide and other gases in the air. Other experiments were done to try and produce more oxygen. Further experiments were created to lower human temperament. As well as making the human brain recognize what is harmful to the body and society. The goal of that experiment is to delete all harmful thoughts therefore humans will no longer commit crimes or do drugs.

The outside world never suspected a thing. Few people ever accidentally found the facility and those that did never went back home. 

The town near by never bothered the facility and the facility never bothered the town. The town thought that as long as nothing illegal was happening, like drug production, it was fine. After the first few people went missing they started to have suspicions and made sure not to get too close to it. They, of course, never voiced these suspicions but everyone knew that everyone thought about them.

That was a mistake.


It was the year 2056, three years since Project EASE was initially launched and two years since the facility was built. The facility was going about like normal. The scientists were testing out their newest serums and machines. One particular experiment was causing a lot of excitement at the time.

Apparently the day before they had tested out a new serum that seemed to calm down a particularly vicious and sadistic man for a full 12 hours before he seemed to start choking and died of suffocation to the brain(meaning his brain didn't get enough air). The scientists had tweaked the serum a bit and on that day were ready to test it out. 

On the other side of the lab a different group of scientists were testing out a machine that was going use a new gas to eat up the pollution in the air and turn it to oxygen. It hadn't been tested before so they didn't know what may be the risks, the side effects, or even if it worked. Now they couldn't test it out on another day because the new gas was unstable and seemed to vanish with a few hours, not to mention it was hard to create the gas since all the chemicals needed to be in their purest form. 

The townspeople were going about their normal lives, suspicious but never showing it. The woman were shopping, gossiping about who did what, keeping an eye on the children, or doing whatever they usually did. The men were working to pay the bills, complaining to their buddies about life, and basically doing whatever it was that they did. Then it happened.

The normal quiet hum of the town was interrupted by a huge explosion from the facility. There was no fire. There wasn't any buildings crushing people inside or outside their homes. But there was the explosion of gas. The new gas reacted with the the new serum when a government official foolishly opened the door to the room the machine was being tested in therefore letting some of the gas escape. The gas had managed to to reach the other side of the lab in a minute and was quickly vanishing but not before coming in contact with the serum.

The reaction resulted in a new gas that quickly engulfed the townspeople. It happened so fast that they barely had time to react. The people further away tried to run but it quickly caught up to them. The gas never reached the rest of civilization other than that small town. Since the town was out in the wilderness, surrounded by wildlife, and 20 miles away from the nearest sign of civilization.

It's said that the people started to choke when the gas reached them. The new gas, now known to humanity as Sprout, had apparently filled their lungs and changed the function of the respiratory system. 

The people stopped choking.

They started screaming in pain instead.

Sprout had proceeded to change their brain functions and molecular structure. Specifically the the structure of the bones and muscles. It made the cells multiply rapidly.

Children were crying out to their mothers. Babies were wailing, their faces red from the recent lack of air and from crying out in pain. The adults and teenagers groaned and screamed from the pain they vaguely recognized. Many passed out from shock. 

Houses indeed came crashing down but not on people.

It was on that day the people of the world stopped trusting the government.

It was on that day that the scientists had essentially achieved their goal

It was on that day the first Gentlers were created. 


© 2014 Rin Kagamine


Author's Note

Rin Kagamine
...so what do you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on August 20, 2014
Last Updated on August 20, 2014


Author

Rin Kagamine
Rin Kagamine

Long beach, CA



About
I really like writing. It helps me sort my thoughts and get my emotions out. I want to help people in anyway that I can and in a way that could be fun. more..

Writing
Blue Blue

A Poem by Rin Kagamine