Felriver Guide and Glossary

Felriver Guide and Glossary

A Chapter by B.T. Lyons
"

This guide will be updated as each chapter is added to the book and is provided so that the reader can better keep track of all the species, characters, etc. in the Felriver world.

"

Locations:


Arch Pass: a natural stone archway over a deep chasm on the northern border of the Felriver basin that provides the only reasonable access to the Nightwoods; other access through Soft-On-Paw-Pads is prohibited by the territorial Huuel, and treacherous rocks and steep cliffs deny access from the ocean. Control of Arch Pass is often in contention between various groups that have been exiled by society, and is rarely utilized by most denizens of Felriver due to the danger of criminal elements.


Braroco: 1.) A 250,000 year old archaeological site located in Skybirch Grove, consisting of underground vaults and archives of Umil documents prior to and ending at their extinction. 2.) The community of curators, archivists, and researchers that reside around the Braroco site but are not affiliated with the spiritual workings of Skybirch Grove.


Fel Rapids: a major fishing and shipping port built into the walls of the canyon directly beneath Highcanyon, accessible via stairs and ladders. The actual location of the town changes with the height of the river, moving to lower rooms when the river is low and higher areas when the river is at its peak. Many residents prefer to live mainly on their boats out of convenience. The town also encompasses a complex network of ropes, cables, and lifts to allow vessels to be lifted up and over the nearby waterfall to ply the western half of the Felriver. Denizens consist almost exclusively of water-loving creatures with a few Pomats and other crafters in residence.


Felriver: 1.) The main branch of the river that flows west to east through the Felriver basin before emptying into the ocean. 2.) The watershed and its inclusive communities surrounding the Felriver, considered to take a Bukind runner twelve days to run from the east to west edge (not including the Red Saltmarsh), and seventeen days to run from the north to south edge.


Great Tree, The: large maple tree that grows in an island in the middle of Skybirch Grove; considered to be the focal point of prayer and the physical symbol of the Greenmother, though is not considered to have any particular powers of its own.


Grove, The: short term for Skybirch Grove.


Highcanyon: a large town that sits on the rim of the deepest part of the canyon through which the Felriver travels. The town is built into hollowed-out, massive trees and is the main hub of industry and trade in the region. The population consists mainly of smaller creatures of evolutionary types that lend to manufacture and industry, with an outlying population of farmers, loggers, and masons.


Red Saltmarsh, The: a massive floodplain and river delta that separates the woodland Felriver basin from the ocean, characterized by rust-colored reeds and grasses. Inhabited by many water-loving creatures and spotted with small settlements built on stilts above the rising and falling tidal waters.


Rockwallow, The: a tributary on the south side of the Felriver, northwest of Highcanyon and above the falls.


Skybirch Grove: the spiritual center of the Felriver basin, lead by Aloren and populated by various species that fulfill the religious duties of the population, as well as other tasks such as trans-community communication, mediation, and history retention.


Soft-On-Paw-Pads: territorial area of the Huuel tribes in the northwestern corner of the Felriver Basin, consisting of cave dwellings and communal underground homes. Though not cleared as extensively as the neighboring Beorr territory of the Spine Cliffs, it is criss-crossed by large roads for fast travel and easy visibility of incoming visitors, friend or foe. The woods off the road are heavily trapped and are not considered to be safe for travelling.


Spine Cliffs, The: territory of the Beorr, located in the southwestern edge of the Felriver basin. The land has been heavily cleared for industry and farming, and the Beorr themselves reside in large part in massive clan halls built from tree trunks, though some do live in modified caves in the Spine Cliffs themselves.


Species:


Ariice: the evolution of the mouse; though they do not go by different species names, tend to separate between mice derived from wild stock and mice derived from domesticated stock. Have opposable thumbs, and those that choose to live in towns tend to work in extremely detailed crafts; woodland Ariice ranged from civilized with language to non-civilized and unspeaking. Town Ariice range in a wide variety of colorations and patterns, while their wild cousins retain their ancient brown and grey colorings.


Arrtes: the evolution of the rat; slightly larger than modern rats, with opposable thumbs. Considered to be civilized creatures that hold a variety of positions in society. Coloration typical to current rat species in variety and shading.


Avvi: general term for any evolution of bird. Individual intelligent species are recognized by their own species names.


Beorr: evolution of bears; range in size from a current black bear to larger than modern polar bears. Considered to be civilized yet warlike and tribal creatures. Have not developed thumbs but have increased motor dexterity over their modern cousins, with enhanced paw-pads that act as proto-thumbs for grasping and manipulating objects. Known to be masters of heavy armor and large-scale engineering, and build their own homes as massive lodges. Coloration ranges from light blondes through black, occasionally with subtle markings.


Bug: generic term for any ground-crawling insect. Avvi and insectivores recognize individual bugs by species names.


Bukind: evolution of a variety and blending of species of smaller deer; they are shorter in the back, have long, furred tails that may be carried behind or curled over their backs, and appear in a great variety of shades ranging from white, to browns and reds, through mottled grey. Considered to be civilized creatures that generally reside in or are affiliated with Groves and hold positions relating to the needs of the greater society, such as messengers and priests.


Cat: all varieties are extinct in Felriver. The species is only known through the archives housed in the Braroco, and it is common knowledge that they ranged from quite small to very large creatures. Parents will sometimes tell their youngsters that if they do not do as they are told, a cat will come and take them away.


Coonai: evolution of raccoons; retained size but have the nimblest hands and thumbs of all known Felriver creatures. Coonai are named in two parts: the first part of their name is their surname, and the second part of their name is their personal name (e.g. Delmurph is “Murph” of the “Del Family”). Considered to be civilized creatures heavily involved in all manner of industry, crafting, and manufacture. Coloration has evolved from all shades of white to reds, browns, and black, with spots, piebalds, and stripes fairly common.


Delk: evolution of large cervines such as elk and moose. Have reached the size of a modern draft horse, with massive palmate antlers. Considered to be highly uncivilized and dangerous, and known to attack lone travelers, though they do speak the language of the area. Coloration ranges from dark grey to black, with notable grey eyes that are highly reflective and appear to glow in certain lights.


Fish: any swimming non-mammal as described by land-based creatures; includes actual fish, dolphins, crabs, and anything else that lives in the water, fresh or salt. Water-based mammals have specific terms for each creature.


Fly: any flying insect as described by land-based creatures, with the exception of stinging insects such as bees or wasps. Avvi use specific terms for individual species.


Foss: evolution of foxes; have evolved long front toes for manipulation but lack a thumb or pad evolution, so rely upon tools and gloves for assistance in grasping. Range from small family packs of nomads to individuals who have settled in towns with a craft. Able to walk in bipedal or quadrupedal stance. Coloration ranges from reds and browns to greys with lighter underbodies, with occasional piebald markings.


Geeshot: evolution of sheep and goats; not considered to be civilized or intelligent and are often hunted by carnivores for food and materials. Inhabit the high rim areas of the Felriver basin with small marsh herds also present in the Red Saltmarsh.


Gerlier: evolution of large dogs, often exceeding 75 pounds. Have not developed the dewclaw evolution of Pomats, nor a fully functional bipedal stance. Due to their faith they must be in the service of other animals, and often work as peacekeepers, guards, and heavy workers for an entire community. Coloration may vary from white to black, but dark browns and black are the most common.


Grapple: an intelligent species of Avvi, evolved from the modern grackle. Through devolution they have regained grasping claws on the wing wrist, allowing them to fly or climb as needed.


Groustik: evolution of woodchucks and ground squirrels. Considered to be civilized creatures that generally become farmers or woodworkers, though may live in larger societies. Have evolved thumb pads to assist with manipulation and are able to craft simple objects without assistance. Though they can walk bipedally, generally adopt a quadrupedal mode of locomotion. Coloration ranges through various shades of brown with occasional striped patterns.


Hareet: evolution of rabbits and hares; are not considered to be civilized or intelligent and are often hunted as food for other creatures. Very common throughout the Felriver basin.


Huuel: evolution of wolves; considered to be civilized yet warlike and tribal creatures with a strict code of honor and tradition. Have not developed thumbs, but can manipulate objects with the assistance of specially made gripping gloves. Have evolved to move equally well in a quadrupedal or bipedal fashion. Are not skilled crafters due to physical limitations, so they generally trade raw materials for completed items. Though most Huuel adhere strictly to a pack hierarchy system, some packs have gone rogue and prey upon travelers as thieves and slavers, though where the slaves are taken is unknown. Coloration ranges from white through browns and reds to black, with darker dorsal areas and lighter undersides the most common patterns.


Pomat: evolution of small dogs, generally not exceeding 25 pounds. Dewclaws have shifted toward the foot, giving them a non-moving thumb. Can move equally well on two or four legs. Their faith dictates that they must be in the service of other creatures, and Pomats are often seen as nannies, caretakers of the elderly, and household or business helpers. Coloration runs the gamut of natural colors from white to black with all manner of spots, stripes, and other markings possible.


Skirra: evolution of squirrels and chipmunks; slightly larger than modern squirrels, with opposable thumbs. Considered to be civilized creatures that may or may not be part of larger community groups, and generally hold positions of crafting or manufacture. Coloration ranges from grey through reds and browns to black, with spots, stripes, and piebald patterns not uncommon.


Stiker: the evolution of the skunk. Do not have opposable thumbs and tend to work in tasks such as farming or digging. Though some do live in towns, most tend to live on the outskirts, at outposts, or in more isolated locations. Considered to be a civilized species. Coloration ranges from light brown through black with white patterns, with stripes down the dorsal ridge still the most common.


Umil: Felriver term for humans, which have been extinct for 250,000 years.


Webjumper: spiders; very little evolution, though some species have become slightly more intelligent and may be tamed or trained, though this is extremely uncommon. Like modern spiders, exist in both relatively harmless and extremely poisonous varieties.


Yoteen: evolution of the coyote; considered to be semi-civilized but live on the fringes of society, generally ignoring common laws and conventions. Have not developed opposable thumbs but can manipulate objects with specialized gripping gloves, or bare-pawed, slightly more readily than their Huuel cousins due to an evolved longer set of digits. Often considered to be “creatures for hire” but are not generally known to be trustworthy, and are banned from many communities. Coloration ranges from browns to blacks, with dark dorsal areas and striped legs being the common patterning.



Individuals:


Aloren: elderly male bukind, holds the title of Lord of the Groves, indicating his leadership at his residential position at Skybirch Grove, as well as his greater position of Lord of the known Groves of the areas outside of Felriver.


Biekah: male adult Grapple that lives near Blackhollow's workshop. Father of Candy.


Bites-With-Metal: adult male Huuel; chieftain of the Womb-Of-The-Mother Tribe. Father of Claws-Over-Rocks.


Bitleaf: deceased male Skirra mate of Blackhollow; developer of the process for making cloth.


Blackhollow: elderly female Skirra who is the only creature in Felriver who knows the secret to making cloth; widow of Bitleaf.


Candy: Grapple chick, son of Biekah.


Claws-Over-Rocks: young adult male Huuel; son of Bites-With-Metal and heir to the title of Chriftain of the Womb-Of-The-Mother Tribe.


Deliko: one of the three middle triplets of the Del family.


Delmari: one of the two eldest twins of the Del family and apprentice to Blackhollow.


Delmurph: patriarch of the Del family and blacksmith by trade, with a knack for engineering new and innovative resolutions to mechanical problems.


Delseno: one of the two eldest twins of the Del family.


Deltalia: matriarch of the Del family, considered to be a town gossip and busybody who thinks of herself as the height of community involvement and support. Has given birth to a very large family and always seems to be pregnant, nursing, or both.


Ende: older male Arrtes, Master Curator of the Braroco and editor of the Felriver collection.


Greenmother, The: primary deity of the faith practiced in the Groves and by many creatures of the Felriver basin. Considered to be inherently female, but is formless and believed to be more of an overarching spirit that created and envelops the land.


Grove Master, The: term of respect that refers to the Bukind Aloren.


Growls-With-His-Eyes: adult male Huuel of the Womb-Of-The-Mother Tribe. A decorated warrior and fiercely devoted to his chieftain.


Mahsta, The: the primary deity of Pomats and Gerliers; generally considered a male, with form but the form is unknown, that once was a living being that walked the world and will someday return to rule the species again. Considered by these two species to be the creator of all living things, not only on their world but others.


Master of the Grove: term of respect that refers to the Bukind Aloren.


Old Shishi: elderly female Groustik that resides in Highcanyon; crafter of grass and reed mats.


Sharp-Teeth-Not-Brain: young Yoteen scavenger; flanker of the Claws-On-Grit pack who travels between towns trying to make trades; sometimes hired to complete difficult tasks by other, smaller creatures. Known to not be very intelligent, but highly trusting and mostly trustworthy, which leads to him often being taken advantage of.


Shishi: see “Old Shishi”.


Stick: young male Skirra, apprentice scribe assigned as an annotator to Ende for the Felriver collection. Notable for his blunt words and uncouth approach to documenting history.


Spring: large webjumper; pet of Blackhollow and the “guard” of her workshop.


Tribes and Families:


Claws-On-Grit: Yoteen pack of dubious reputation; generally roams the canyon rim north of Highcanyon to Arch Pass. Will generally leave travelers alone but are available to hire for practically any activity, be it noble or nefarious.


Dels, The: family of Coonai that reside in Highcanyon; include patriarch Delmurph, matriarch Deltalia, oldest twins Delmari and Delsano, middle triplets Deliko, ___, and ___, youngest female cub ___, and newborn quadruplets ___, ___, ___, and ___.




Glossary:


Brother: term used to represent respect for a male animals considered to be a part of the same community of the speaker.


Clawglove: a weapon used by canines; a glove worn on the front paws while in a bipedal stance with large metal spikes or knives extending from the back, usually used as a cutting or slashing implement but also useful for climbing. The clawgloves are typically carried by the owner on hooks on a belt in such a way that they need only place their paws inside and lift them off the hooks to be armed and ready for fighting.


Death Cart, The: a conveyance for the death, operated by priests and priestesses of Skyhollow Grove. The Death Cart arrives to remove the bodies of those who have passed, brings them to the Grove for butchering and processing, and returns to the family to deliver the body parts for memorial or usage before distributing the rest to society. It's travel is marked by bells and the singing of the religious attendants.


Flanker: an individual who is shunned by society but not completely outcast, who usually lives on the fringes of the town or territory. More common within pack and tribal societies than towns.


Huntlead: a rite of passage in Huuel tribes where a young adult leads a hunt to prove they are prepared to join the ranks of adults and warriors. The hunt may be for food or against an enemy, with the difficulty of the hunt determined by the participant's status in the tribe; the higher the status, the more difficult the task is supposed to be. Failure to complete the hunt successfully results in the execution of the young Huuel, though some escape to join an outcast pack.


Jointblade: a weapon used by many species but most commonly seen used by Huuel, Beorr, and Yoteen. A spike or blade of metal or bone held by straps to the front elbow joints by most species, and the rear knee joints on Beorr, while the canines attach them to their rear ankles. Used in fighting both for defense and offense.


Muma: common term that a child would use to refer to its mother.


Outpost: a small collection of farms or settlements, generally placed between towns for trade or security. Can also refer to a single security point that is consistently inhabited.


Papai: common term that a child would use to refer to its father.


Parter: an animal who has taken the spiritual and physical task of preparing the bodies of deceased creatures for distribution.


Parting: the process through which a deceased creatures is butchered, skinned, and separated into usable parts to be distributed back to the community for food and crafting materials.


Sister: term used to represent respect for a female animal considered to be a part of the same community as the speaker.


Veil, The: conceived of as the invisible barrier between the living world and the spiritual world; separates the dead, the spirits, the gods, and unknown influences from the corporeal animals, but is believed to be able to be crossed by both sides with each side able to influence the other. Belief in the Veil is most commonly held by the followers of the Greenmother, but is sometimes referenced by other faiths for convenience.


Ya'Bor: term of respectful acceptance toward an older male; the equivalent of “Yes, sir.” The “Bor” is short for “Brother”.


Yes'Si: term of respectful acceptance toward an older female; the equivalent of “Yes, ma'am”. The “Si” is short for “Sister”.



© 2013 B.T. Lyons


Author's Note

B.T. Lyons
This is intended to be brief descriptions only to supplement the book, not act as complete documentation of every character and place, etc. Please only review a description IF you have read a relevant chapter, looked up the term (person, place, whatever) and still do not understand the basic meaning of what was intended in the story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

236 Views
Added on April 3, 2013
Last Updated on April 3, 2013
Tags: Fantasy, Guide, Glossary, Felriver


Author

B.T. Lyons
B.T. Lyons

SD



About
New young adult/fantasy writer and full time history/archaeology major on her third tour through college. Currently working on a fantasy book series called "Felriver", set 250,000 years after the dis.. more..

Writing