Challenge of the Run Away

Challenge of the Run Away

A Story by Ripple of Aqua
"

What do you think the people you left behind would say if they tried to guess why you...ran away...?

"
My fingers jerk over the keys. Words spilling forth from my mind into the pen I held with ravage hands. All misshapen and new to me.

 If I ran away
would you search night and day?
If I were to die
Would you just let me lye?
If I disappeared tomorrow
what would you say?
What would you do?
If I were scattered along the streets;
In a million pieces in the sky;
Unable to come back home.
Would you forever trace the world for me?
Would you catch the rain drops for me?
Or would I dissipate within the whistling winds of your mind?

My fingers kept their movement up, even as the sun began to fall, casting the city around me in its own shadow. The scarlet sky striking to the bluffs of dense pollution, and the wavering of the unsettle waters nearby. I sit in a darkroom, filled with only a bed, and a dresser opposite, which held atop an old television set; it's bright screen filled with the evening's new reports.
The recent story: a missing girl.
"Description as states;: the current news girl starts.
 "Name: Abby Giguy.
 "Height: five eight.
 "Age: seventeen.
 "Last seen: in hometown of Los Angeles, California.
 "Living conditions: an only child of a married couple..."
Their voices new ring below my disconnected mind as I still race to place all of the things I am thinking onto the piece of paper layered on my lap. The background noise as I scramble for the correct phrase. But even as I still tried hard to concentrate, my ears were trained on the television.
"And now a direct witness and friend to the beloved missing girl,"
Ha, beloved. It almost sounds like the girl was actually liked. I shook my head and resumed my work.
"Did she ever seem to be the one to run away? Or do you think that she was abducted?"
I held in a snort at the word. But the very blunt question made me look up, curious as to the way this 'witness' would answer. The newscaster's coat stood out amongst the nighttime darkness of a cold January, the lights from the camera only showing a few feet behind her of a small house with black shingles and red and blue lights flashing against the closed curtains. She leaved towards the young boy that stood silently in the chill. And he too was looking back at the house and the police cars outside, ignoring completely the camera crew and the news woman. I began writing again; easily slipping back into my desperate attempt to write what I thought of.

The trees tail behind me
A past now trotted over
After fluttering to the ground
Never going back...
But would you move forward with me?
I doubt I'd let you see me ever in tomorrow...

"She...she didn't seem like the type to be kidnapped; she just seemed too smart for that,"
My fingers faulted their movement. That voice alone made me look back up, just to be sure... Tall, with an honest and ridged expression, while etched into his eyes were colored in the most knowledgeable auburn brown. Yes, he knew the girl. He was her friend... At the very thought of him being on live television, I felt my insides become cold, and my body lean over the papers; eager for what he would say.
 "But, I'm almost positive she would've ran away."
The newscaster greedily nodded her blond curls, which jumped excitedly in the swift wind, and tilted the microphone back towards herself unnecessarily.
"And why do you think that?"
The boy's eyes slid to the screen and back to her a moment before they became veiled. Almost as if he was slowly sinking into a distant memory.
"It's just something she...thought about before. She-she wasn't exactly happy with her life." With a new breakthrough she was sure would give her a raise, the newswoman sparkled with enthusiasm.The smile she wore on her evenly, bright, red lips, was barely contained.
"But with a family who loved her, the perfect grades in school, no real mention of bullying, what more could a person ask for?"
I didn't realize until then that I had held my breath for his answers, and I slowly let it out. Feeling my body slowly resume its slouched position against the soft pillows. Again the boy looked back into the camera lens, almost as if snapped out of a trance by the high pitched words of the woman he barely noticed beside him. When he looked this time though, he didn't look away, almost as if he knew who was watching him right now. "She probably wanted to have a challenge."
The newscaster was shocked beyond belief as I watched her mouth fall flat to the pavement. And before she could even recover, the boy nodded to the camera men and turned around, walking right up to the house in question. Disappearing behind the yellow line and the screened in door. The woman babbled a little cover up for his abrupt leave before her face all together vanished from the screen. My hand held the remote control in the air for the longest time, before silently dropping back down onto the rough white sheets of the bed. The room was lowered into darkness of the night; the sun dying out only seconds before drowning the city out with a black night. It took me a while to realize that when I looked at the small mirror, that hung next to the window further in the room, that my mouth was strung tight in a great big smile.
So be it may; I leave
To perchance and to wonder...
That I may ever left to be found by you.

© 2011 Ripple of Aqua


Author's Note

Ripple of Aqua
Wow, that was...a lot of fun actually. This story I formed over the week when I just pondered what would become of the people that run away in their young years.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on October 5, 2011
Last Updated on October 5, 2011

Author

Ripple of Aqua
Ripple of Aqua

No Where In Praticular..., MO



About
I like to write, a lot, and I normally have been writing books more than poetry, but I believe my stories are just far too precious to put up. I love all form of arts-fine arts, creative writing, mu.. more..

Writing