She... The woman who taught me how to love accept myself and showed me strength!

She... The woman who taught me how to love accept myself and showed me strength!

A Story by Rissa Nichole
"

A story about my aunt

"

She never asked why me? And we never knew anything was wrong until that day that we got the confused call from my aunt. As she talked you could tell that she was fuzzy and really trying hard to understand. She wasn't my aunt by blood but by a bond, she was my mom's best friend from before I was born and I knew her better than any of my blood. Yes the blood coursing through my veins wasn't the same as hers but the bond was stronger than any blood could be. She was strong and proud and lovely so to hear that fuzzy muffled voice over the phone, not quite sure of what was going on was scary.

I was the one who had answered the phone when she called and I found out the terrible news. She was driving, though she wasn't sure where and everything went black, she lost where she was going and that was it. She woke up to the bright lights and a hospital bed. When she asked what was going on what was wrong the dr uttered the word "cancer" and my aunts life changed.

She didn't ask why me but I did, I asked why her everyday. Why wasn't the only question I asked though the question that I couldn't get out of my head was how, how did I not know, how did I not see, how did it go unnoticed. For two years, maybe even more the cancer had been growing inside of her. How did I not know? I blamed myself so did my mom why did we not see signs how did this get past us all?

A few days later I come home to my mom on the phone. She's talking very slowly as if to a young child. Later I found out it was her, my aunt, she had a brain tumor removed and they were starting treatment. Things were looking up but she was having trouble remembering forgetting names.

How is it that the strongest lady I have ever known just forgot. She forgot me, the girl who as a young child would hide and talk on the phone to her for hours anytime she would call. She never tried to get off the phone and actually listened to me. She was one of the few who would at that age. In my family problems were kept behind doors but not with my aunt, with her they were safe.

They tell us she's getting better and that she might be saved and for the first time we get to see her today! I was so happy I missed her so much but I wasn't ready for what I saw all her hair was gone I knew to expect it but it broke me. She always had long hair that she grew out just to donate. How many hours had I spent playing with her hair in the past when she talked to my mom. But it didn't matter this was my aunt and I was getting to see her getting to hug her! I should have said so much more and had I known I would! I left and said "I love you and will see you later"

Who knew that later would be in heaven. That was the last time I saw her I never got to go back. 1:24 in the morning the phone rang and I knew something was wrong I didn't want to answer. I knew, I knew and I didn't want to tell my mom. As soon as she saw me crying no words needed to be said. The cancer had spread and that night my aunt went to heaven instead.

Not once did I ever hear her say why me but in all her pain she laughed and smiled and thats the kind of strength that she has encouraged in me. This year has been the first year without her and it still gets to me. We never had a funeral because she gave her body to cancer research and I never got to say see you in heaven in her memory. So now I want a chance cause she helped save me! I know she's up in heaven but sometimes I forget and call the number up hoping to hear the voice. Ring one, Ring two, then comes the bitter pain I forgot again so I sit down and just pray I know she hears me up there but I need her here somedays. Without her in my life I wouldn't be who I am today! She never asked why me.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________

 

This is a very personal story and it means a lot to me. Because we never got to have a funeral for her I never got closure but I want to get a cross in her memory. That's when I found out about this contest. There is a convention coming to where I live and there is a chance for me to win a free tattoo. I want to get a cross in memory of my aunt and because I'm a college student right now this is really the only way I can get it. The only way I can win is if I get a ton of likes on this post on fb. If you guys could help me out it would really mean a lot.

© 2011 Rissa Nichole


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very touching story. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
1 Review
Added on March 30, 2011
Last Updated on March 30, 2011
Tags: cancer, loss, love, sorrow, hope, faith

Author

Rissa Nichole
Rissa Nichole

OK



About
My name is Rissa. I am a college student and I love writing. I have kinda a crazy imagination and a child's heart. I love to read and will read anything that someone places in front of me :) more..

Writing