Shattered Illusions

Shattered Illusions

A Poem by Rogue

In the days before illusion I did not like you much.
"Stop"
I hesitated.
"I have a gift for you."
I let curiosity win out and opened the package. "Glasses?"
"Yes. Try them on."
They were strange looking. Their opaque lenses shining in the light. I carefully lifted them from the box and slipped them on.
Oh how wonderful! Everything around me became brighter and lighter. It was as if time had no bearing on the living things I saw.
I turn to look at you, gently caressing your cheek with my fingers. "Beautiful."
You kiss my palm "Now tell me you love me."
"I do. I do love you."
We smile.
Perfect..

I sit and push my glasses up onto the bridge of my nose, for what must be the hundredth time that day. They are getting old, worn and stretched are the frames and they no longer fit properly. "Do you see that there?"
"See what?"
"That spot."
"No."
"It is right there." I run a nail across it. "It's a chip in the surface."
You smoothly slide your hand over it as you bend to kiss me.
"Perfect." You whisper against my lips.
I lose the thought..

My glasses slipped off my face and fell to the floor today.
I sat down and cried amidst the pieces.
I cried as I watched you pack and leave.

Months later, I finger the shattered remnants on their bed of cotton, in the little jewelry box I keep them in now.
As the morning sun catches them up within it's rays, it casts little rainbows on the walls about the room.
How beautiful.
How perfect.
I cry..

© 2013 Rogue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow! Yet again, reading your work is like you are writting my own life down. Losing someone who brought such depth to the life we lead. This was beautiful and tragic. You structured the piece perfectly... the twists of emotion puts a smile on your face, then chokes you. Powerful!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

"the twists of emotion puts a smile on your face, then chokes you."
And with that, I think you.. read more
Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)

10 Years Ago

That I do. Its always more than a pleasure.



Reviews

Rogue, this is just well put together. Its layered with feeling and images. Its true poetry. Felt like a real life experience with the vivid ending so powerful.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rogue

10 Years Ago

Shaun, thank you. I admit, when I had originally wrote this (later to be placed here), I was a coupl.. read more
Shaun Payton

10 Years Ago

eminder to this reader of similar emotions, but that is why I love poetry..you are welcome Rogue
This is just exceptional ! The uniqueness of the "blinding" of perception !!! Outstanding... you are truly a very gifted writer, in all your formats. I am very glad I found you ....many of the writers that I have scanned, seem kind of ...well, I will keep those opinions to myself.. but your writing is truly stimulating !!! You have a new follower here, my lady !!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Rogue

11 Years Ago

Thank you. I am quite flattered that you are enjoying my work. It is always the goal, even in heartb.. read more
Such a unique poem.
Wonderfully written!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Damn unique write,well thought out and written. Full of emotions,imagery was insane. Reminded me of some what of a Tim Burton movie.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Rogue

11 Years Ago

Thank you.
The result of lying to oneself and learning to cope with the reality once the trut.. read more
Rogue, this piece of writing is so touching. We feel the weight of the passage of time with the words you choose. "Perfect..." indeed !!! Your style is always dead on, filled with emotions that the reader feels with every word.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Rogue

11 Years Ago

Yes, well.. I admit my attempts at poetry are a bit unconventional. And you, my friend are biased. :.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

376 Views
15 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on December 26, 2012
Last Updated on June 30, 2013

Author

Rogue
Rogue

About
What can I say? I enjoy writing. Although I dabble in several different genres, I eventually end up back in the realm of Horror. Both pointing out the every day disguised "Monsters" among us and cre.. more..

Writing
Chapter one Chapter one

A Chapter by Rogue


Chapter two Chapter two

A Chapter by Rogue


Chapter three Chapter three

A Chapter by Rogue



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..