Towers in the darkness: Chapter 2

Towers in the darkness: Chapter 2

A Chapter by RomRaf123

The coarse sand beneath Martins feet was icy cold, as seawater seeped through the sand under the pressure of his step. Looking around, he was surrounded on all sides by a frosty beach beneath a dreary sky. Threatening waves crashed hard against the land, pushing cold, salty air onto the beach. Looking around, the beach stretched on and on, with no end in sight.
Martin turned around, to see forested ridge in the distance, running parallel to the shoreline. 
Fog hung over the ridge, seeping down and dispersing on the beach. This place was unknown to Martin and he could not recall his way here, but soon his misgivings faded away. 
The piercing cold slowly lost its sting and he could feel warmth radiating out from within. 
Martin's apprehension had turned to contentment, such as he had never felt before. 
"This must be the Ashlands", Martin thought, before his lucid thoughts ceased and he sank to the ground, melding with the beach. Now laying still, the wet sand couched his weary body. Martin's gaze wandered over the shoreline as it steadily transformed. 
The sand had begun shifting slowly but steadily, moving in waves across the surface. 
All around the beach, objects began emerging from the depths of the sand, as if being pushed out by a subterranean giant. As Martin strained his eyes to absorb the foreboding scene, his senses came back to him as the sand beneath sprang to life. Parting around Martin's body, he could feel a pull from below. "Something had awoken beneath the earth, drawing in breaths", Martin suddenly concluded. Contentment turned to fear as Martin prepared himself to pierce the surface of the mortal realm and discover what lurks beneath. Suddenly Martin was pulled back with force from the coarse wet sand, once again perceiving its icy cold touch. 


"Martin!", Alexus bellowed impatiently as he shacked Martin's shoulder. "We have arrived representative or are you planning on napping throughout your entire tour of duty?" he said, letting out a hardy laugh, bemused by his tired superior. 
"I was back on the beach" Martin said, regaining his senses. 
"Beaches? There are no beaches here from what I know but you can have swamps, forests and old ruins of you'd like" Alexus retorted as he pointed around the car. 
Martin had visited the beach many times before in his dream. What did it mean, if anything, was a mystery to him. Perhaps a rush of images brought about by fatigue, they never failed to ignite Martin's imagination. However, soon the plentiful tasks of the day made the dream vanish from his mind. Studying at the ministry of political righteousness, Martin had often wondered, whether these dreams attempted to lead him to some sort of enlightenment, away from this shallow world. But now was no time to play with supernatural fantasies as Martin stood up in the car, stepping on top of his stiff seat. Shifting his eyes away from the bright sun, Martin looked around to get his bearings. Judging by the location of the sun, one hour must have passed since he fell asleep. They had come to a stop in the middle of a field, but at least the east city was now no more than a stone away. Soldiers and civilians clogged the road, moving about as swirling kernels of sand. Smoke rose up from the horizon on all sides, bearing witness to the carnage that had transpired in these lands throughout the last days. 
"I have never seen so many funeral piers at one time"Alexus spoke up as if reading Martin's mind. The representative nodded in agreement as he felt himself chocking up. He was thoroughly taught about the low value of one man's life in these troubled times, since the utter collapse of humanity in the hazy past. All life was sliding back into the nothingness and only the unification of the lands under the power of the council could safe all of humanity. Sacrificing the life of some individuals was a small price to pay to gather the continent and its hidden knowledge, so he was taught. And so he believed, as he saw thousands of bodies burn to ash when their eternal core began its journey into the ashlands
As Martin succeeded to avert his gaze from this hollowed ritual, he saw Wallen arguing with an officer some distance from the car. Hopping over the door, Martin landed on the broken ground, almost tripping as his feet touched down. Regaining his balance by grabbing the door of the car he made his way to the arguing officers. The street was badly damaged by mine explosions and a collapsed bridge came into view through the crowd. As wind blew, dust rose up from the dry dirt, penetrating every crevasse. 
"The swamps are north of the city where the channels had broken, so this must be the southern approach", Martin figured. 
"This is the main way from the front, so now I understand the buildup of people around here", Martin thought, feeling Alexus watchful eye on him from the car. There was little need for concern as locals habitually evaded uniformed men and a wide corridor has formed naturally around the car. Around him Martin saw men, women and children moving towards the city, with  carts and on foot. Carrying most on their belongings, they sought safety away from the ever-moving front. 
"Officers!", Martin interjected into Wallen's conversation. "Why are we standing here?" he added. "Representative, Sir. We have a problem with the bridge over the southern canal. The original structure was blown up by the retreating traitors and the makeshift replacement collapsed under strain.", the smallest local officer declared after the appropriate military salute. 
"Officer Dore at your service," he continued. "Damn swamp monkeys overcrowded the bridge and it even took some of our men down with it. Now they gather like aimless cattle." 
Martin felt compelled to speak up: 
„I take offense to your characterization of our new countrymen and as this is a great step in reuniting the continent." The soldier stiffened as he fully comprehended the identity and authority of this new arrival. 
"I apologize for the inappropriate comment sir, the stress must have gotten to me. I made my report to officer Wallen. For the continent!", Dore exclaimed with demonstrative vigor and left into the parting crowd. His dark gray uniform was striking a sharp contrast to the colorful clothing of the multitude, as Martin studied his small unwieldy figure. His garb looks stuffy, indicating hidden loot on his bodies and several watches could be seen peeking out from his sleeve. Wallen and Martin continued gazing into the teeming masses of humanity for some time more as the unknown soldier faded from view. Far from being gray the crowd was adorned in bright clothing, blemished only by the dirt of the road. Many exotic styles where on full display, differing so greatly from the white palette of the capital region. Bright red tunics where interspersed throughout the crowd, drawing ire from Martin. These people here, Martin thought, were farmers and craftsmen, but now, uprooted, they wear their finest garments, as if taking part in a procession under the watchful eyes of the conquering army to test the righteousness of the victor. 
As most still seemed to be in possession of their belongings, the army's discipline had not yet broken down. But with men such as Dore, Martin was well aware of the fact that constrain and compassion was the exception in these times. Martin was torn, unable either to look into the hearts of the conquered, to know if they could except the council as their new overlords, nor whether his conquering comrades would ever come to see the "swamp-monkeys" as their equals. Truth be told it didn't matter as might had made it so. "At least for now", Martin concluded as he regained control of his drifting thoughts.

"We won't get over that thing", Wallen spoke up after looking around for bystanders. 
"While you were taking a nap, we ran into this dead end. I was talking to some comrades over here, to find a way around this channel. We found one that is intact of the secured road. My luck right?", Wallen stated bitterly. 
"So what's the way around?" Martin asked, his eyes still occasionally drawn towards the looming columns of smoke. 
"Apparently there is an agricultural trail not far from here running along the canal. It will lead towards an intact bridge", Wallens replied. 
"Any reason why a crossing exists out there?" Martin asked suspiciously. "Not really, but my colleague just told me that rumors are going around his battalion. Rumors of old, valuable stuff being dug up there", was the innocent reply that instantly peaked Martins attention. While his first priority was to establish contact with the military leadership, the omnipresent hunt for lost knowledge was on the mind of every representative.

"Then let's get moving", Martin exclaimed as he returned to the car. The wood gas engine roared to life and the group soon left the clogged road. Leaving behind the collapsed bridge, they drove ever east, following the waterway. Keeping one eye on the uneven field and the other eye on the murky water, Martin found himself entranced by this engineering marvel stretching as far as the eye could see. For centuries nothing like this has been build. Perfectly even stones, tall as man and wide as a car, stacked to form the walls of the artificial body of water. 
"We are attempting to step into the footprints of giants, but instead only inhabit their ruins", he pondered as the flaming tower still loomed over horizon. Martin was well familiar with the remnants of this great civilization through his education and thus could more fully appreciate the degradation that had occurred in the centuries passed. Wood powered transportation, flimsy aircraft and scavenged makeshift railways would have been an anathema to their distant relatives. Inertia is keeping us moving forward, but at an ever-slower pace. 
"We could slide beyond the point of no return if we don't unite fast and focus all of our efforts on restarting the engines of progress again", Martin reiterated in his mind as his right hand tightened into an fist. 
"What about you, big quiet man?!", Wallen broke the silence. "You seem to be a military man, I can tell. How did you earn the pleasure of serving the council's representative? Have you been threatened and blackmailed as well?" Wallen inquired in a snipping tone, turning around briefly to see Alexus sitting in an upright posture, scanning the horizon. Martin did not fail to notice Wallen's provocative glance as he was turning back to the road. 
"He's checking my reaction to see if my promise of impunity can be trusted", Martin concluded while displaying no overt reaction. 
"How would you know?", Alexus asked with some curiosity. 
"I have been around....", Wallen started as he was immediately interrupted. 
"Around?!", Alexus laughed. "You pup haven't been anywhere. By your dialect and dull gaze, I can tell as well that you are a farmer's boy from the great plain. You have lived in dirt and most likely you will die in dirt. Your officer uniform only tells me that the ranks are depleted enough to give out promotions to any 20 year old with half a brain." 
"You see right through me old man", Wallen admitted with some surprise. 
"42 ain't no old pup", Alexus retorted as he inflated his posture. 
"Well it is in my circles" Wallen replied, shrugging his shoulders. 
"Can't say that's a good thing" Alexus added with a hint of pity. 
"When I was a child, my tribe lived within the northern fringes of the great forest. I remember we had plenty of old people, sitting around our holly spring. We didn't have much, but everyone was fed and clothed into their old age. It's a pity you young people cannot have the life we had." "Holly spring?", Wallen asked suspiciously. 
"That was before the council introduced us into the union and the goal of unifying the continent was revealed to us", Alexus responded instinctively. 
"These springs where converted into water mills as far as I have heard, but I haven't been in the land of my childhood for decades." 
"It wasn't difficult for you to let go of your way of life, as you joined the union?", Wallen asked. 
"I know for some it was difficult and they did never accept the council into their hearts, visiting the springs at night and sneaking off into the deep forest to perform the old rituals. Not that I ever knew who and when", he added just as instinctively. 
"My father never believed in any of it and taught me to not get too attached to such things. He was a literate man, safeguarding and studying our remaining historical documents. Always imprinted onto us children that powers come and go, rulers come and go and beliefs come and go. But we, small people, remain and need to live our life as good as we can. So, I never made the mistake and became too attached to our way of life. When I was younger than you pup, I joined the Union council forces and never looked back." 
"So, you don't believe in the righteousness of the cause?", Wallen wondered, trying to assess his fellow servicemen. "Of course, I do pup but. But I have my own reasons. As my father said: might is right and truth, all in one indisputable package. As the council forces advance, the truth they are carrying becomes ever more righteous. The world has a way of proving the truth through force", he chuckled.
"So that's the way to life? Doing what force requires you to do and don't get too attached to anything!?", Wallen inquired in disbelief.
"That's what it is boy.", Alexus confirmed coldly. "We small people can't do anything about things. The rich and powerful mold this world and we are the clay. Keep close to power, do as they say. You'll earn your keep, don't get entangled and you'll end up outliving most of your pretty circle. That's what I would do and now focus on the road, before you drive us into a ditch or minefield!", Alexus said as he returned to his silent self.
After some moments of heated contemplation Wallen spoke up again .
"You know what representative: that doesn't suit me. I hope that when the war is over, I can leave army life behind for good. I want to travel the continent, from the tear maintains in the north to the coast in the south and finally see the ocean. I even want to see the great forest" he added with a smirk. 
"Then find some nice small place close to home and start a family. We will be part of the community, don't bother anybody and nobody will bother us. And in centuries to come, there will be lots of people running around the plains with my nice features. Even if you don't believe in any higher goal, that is worth fighting for, isn't it?", Wallen concluded, all the while painting a vivid picture in his mind's eye. Martin nodded in approval, resisting the urge to caution the young man. The times where difficult and a soldier in the ranks now will have little chance of returning home to a happy quaint life. Silence dissented over the car for a few minutes, leaving each man alone in their own thoughts. 

Alexus broke that silence as he nodded to the front. 
"Look", he said, drawing everybody's attention to the smoke that had suddenly appeared in the middle distance, just behind a slope.
"Seems to be another funeral fire", Martin thought, "so soldiers are nearby as well". 
"I should scout ahead", Alexus proposed as the car approached the slope at a steady pace. 
"No point", Wallen said, "there is nobody but our boys around here and the white smoke of our automobile has announced our presence to anybody nearby anyway". 
Martin weight his option, but having lost much time since his arrival already, he would not delay any longer and take his chances. "We were supposed to die tonight as we landed. Powerful forces must be looking out for us", he said somewhat intoxicated by the events of the day. As the car struggled to climb the hill, the anticipation hung heavy. 
All men held their breath as the car battled the final incline. Reaching the top of the grassy slope, a large gathering came into view. On the left, the long-awaited bridge spanned over the broad channel. Steel beams formed an elegant arc some 30 meters over the waterline. On the right, freshly lit funeral pyres had been set ablaze, burning dozens of figures wrapped in cloth. In the center a curious scene was unfolding as hundreds of brightly dressed women had gathered around a few dozen soldiers. 
Worried, young men attempted to hold back their unlikely assailants, while being pelted by small objects and indistinguishable screams. Martin stood up on his seat to view the scene over the dirty windshield and quickly attracted the attention of the crowd. As heads turned towards the new arrivals, the car began its brisk drive down, towards the gathering.



© 2020 RomRaf123


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

10 Views
Added on September 11, 2020
Last Updated on September 11, 2020
Tags: adventure, alternateuniverse, mysterious, politics, post-apocalyptic, thriller


Author

RomRaf123
RomRaf123

Germany



About
A amateur writer attempting to progressively write and publish my first works. more..

Writing