Chapter 1: The Youngest Princess

Chapter 1: The Youngest Princess

A Chapter by Rori

"The kingdom of Saffron has enjoyed nearly a hundred years of peace, this has been thanks to the pact made between your grandfather and the last great alpha of the wolf-men." My father, the current king, explained in a grave tone as he held my gaze.

I sighed in response, I was so tired of hearing this old story, but father had been bringing it up so often as of late and I already knew the reason why without this having conversation, again.

"The pact states that the youngest daughter of the king from each following generation would become the wife of one of their kind." I spat the words, feeling resentful that out of four daughters, it was me whom had been born last. The gods must surely have hated me.

The king's lips pulled down into a frown, but whether he was sympathizing with me, or disappointed in my obvious lack of acceptance, was something I couldn't tell.

However if I had to guess, I would say the latter with very little hesitation, especially after his following words. "Irellia, you may not be pleased with your betrothal, but there is no way around it." He paused to place a hand on my shoulder, though it gave me no comfort. "You know the goblins would attack our kingdom, as they have many others, and that we do not have enough men to repel them ourselves. Saffron is small and we are not strong, but the wolf-men are. With their protection we remain safe- alive, we need our pact with them."

That was it, I needed to get away from him! I did not bother with asking for permission to excuse myself as custom dictated, instead I rose from the velvet chair with an audible huff, then proceeded to stomp my way out of the room.

I felt like a possession, not a princess, existing solely to be sold away to the highest bidder, who just happened to be some beast of a man. Who wasn't even a true man!

Sure they claimed that the wolf was not their true form, but there was simply no denying their animalistic behavior, even when they walked as men. Not that I’d ever seen it for myself. Virina, my closest sister, had though.

She told me tales of their odd habit of sniffing others, their lack of respect for one’s personal space and how they drank from bowls rather than cups, like civilized people.

How could I be expected to marry such a person? It was unacceptable! Especially considering I-

"Princess, what is wrong?" An all too familiar voice inquired, its owner gently placing a hand on my shoulder in a silent request for me to stop my march.

As I whirled around to face him I wondered what kind of expression I wore, one of anger or sadness? The worry on his own failed to provide me an answer.

"The same thing that has been wrong all week, Jaron. No, since I was born." I answered, keeping my voice as even as I could manage, and watched as his expression morphed into one of pity.

I hated it when he looked at me in such a manner, it was so far from what I wanted to see that it left me feeling bitter.

"Don't look at me like that. I detest your pity." I told him openly, though my gaze fell heavily to the floor, or rather the soft red rug laid upon it.

It didn't stay there long before his hand slipped under my chin, raising my head so that I would meet his pale green eyes and causing my heart to skip a beat. "I do not pity you, princess, I pity myself."

"Why?" I asked softly, not daring to move in fear of losing his touch, his hand felt so warm and gentle. Yet it stirred desires within me, ones which a proper lady should only have for her husband.

A sad smile claimed his lips, before he spoke. "I am your royal guard, as well as your friend, yet I'm powerless to save you from this." I nearly pouted when he finished by pulling his hand away.

"Father is the only one who could save me from this, and he's made it quite clear that he will not." I replied with bitterness, then quickly forced a smile onto my face as I added. "I am just happy to have you on my side, it seems that precious few are."

"Only because it is not them in your shoes." He stated, a hint of anger in his tone.

I nodded. "None of my sisters would be happy, yet all but Virina chastise me just as father does. I am tired of hearing how it's for the best, for the sake of Saffron, what of my happiness? Does that truly mean nothing to my own family?" I found tears stinging my eyes by the time I had finished and suddenly his arms wound around me, his hand lightly stroking the back of my head.

"I am so sorry princess..." He seemed as though he would say more, but he pulled away at the sound of his name.

"Ah, it would seem that I have found the both of you." Virina said when we both turned to face her, index finger casually twirling a strand of her auburn locks- as she tended to do.

"Ah, princess." Jaron looked flustered as he bowed deeply to my sister, which for some reason brought a frown to my lips. "What can I do for you?"

"Well I was going to have you accompany me to cheer up my little sister, but it appears that you have beaten me to the punch." My sister explained with a melodic laugh, her garnet eyes seemed to sparkle with it and I couldn't help but feel a bit… jealous.

I couldn't recall a time I’d smiled like that, perhaps I had when I was little but not once since I'd been old enough to take the pact seriously.

"Irellia?" Virina said my name sweetly, shaking me from my thoughts, then continued once she was certain my attention had returned to her. "Are you alright? I heard that father had asked to speak with you again today."

"Of course I'm not." I huffed, sounding harsher than intended and immediately began to feel guilty.

But Jaron spoke up before I could apologize, his tone heated to the point of scolding. "You shouldn't speak like that to princess Virina, she’s worried about you."

I was shocked, he had never once spoken to me like that in the three years that he'd served as my royal guard! No response would come to me as I stood there, gaping at him and trying to wrap my head around his change in attitude.

"It is okay Jaron, I would not be chipper if I were in my sisters shoes." She soothed, a sympathetic smile on her face.

"No, he is right..." I sighed deeply, brushing back a stray strand of long blonde hair before continuing. "I am sorry Virina."

For a moment, surprise washed over her pretty face, then she replied with a broad smile. "It is quite alright."

"Thank you." I said with a curtsey.

Then Jaron cleared his throat. "I was actually hoping to talk to you in private, princess Virina?"

I wasn't sure if it was simply my imagination, but I thought his cheeks had grown a bit pink. I didn't like that, not one bit!

"Why must I go? Can you not speak with her in front of me?" I asked, hearing the jealousy in my own voice, though Jaron had apparently not- if his almost shy smile was any kind of indication.

"I would rather speak to her one on one."

My eyes grew wide, flickering back and forth between him and my seemingly intrigued sister. "I would rather you did not!" I stated sternly, as everything in me screamed not to allow this.

"Irellia, I am very curious as to what it is he has to say. Could you please head to your chambers? I will follow shortly." Virina's soft smile and adult-like tone made me feel small, I found myself nodding despite myself. My sister offered her arm to the man I so loved.

It was as though my heart had been torn from my chest, but all I could do was stand there as though I were frozen in time, until finally they’d disappeared down the hall.

I bit my lip, assuring myself that I was just overreacting. After all Jaron was always by my side, protecting me, comforting me. He wouldn't have had time to fall for anyone else. I'm unsure how long I spent standing there, trying to convince myself of that, before I finally ran after them.

I didn't know where they'd gone, so I dipped in and out of various rooms in search of them, until finally I spotted them through a window. They stood in the garden, though they didn't seem to be talking, just staring at one another. Sighing with relief, I started to turn away in order to run out there, when suddenly Virina wrapped her arms around his neck and did the unthinkable. She kissed him.

Heartbroken I sank to my knees, hanging my head as tears began to stream down my cheeks. I had long feared that Jaron might have feelings for Virina, but I'd never imagined that she would return those feelings!

My chest felt tight, like someone was squeezing my heart in their hand, and I soon began to hyperventilate. I felt like I was cursed, first the marriage arrangement and now my sister with the man I'd truly wished to marry?

I would never be able to look at either of them again, such a thing would be far too painful. But how could I ever hope avoid it? Even if I willing gave myself over to whatever Wolf-Man would be chosen, there would be no escaping visits to court.

There would be no escaping seeing them… together.

The thought made my stomach clench, the anxiety leaving me queasy. I felt sick, weak, and so very tired of this place- of this life. That's when I had a crazy idea, I could run away to somewhere far from Saffron. Far from its traditions, from the Wolf-Men, and most importantly, I could run away from them.

It seemed like such an obvious solution, I kicked myself for not having done so immediately, rather than sitting there pitying myself! Rising to my feet, I dared not glance out the window for a second time, instead I ran down the hall with my crimson skirts in hand.

I knew that I had enough jewelry in my room to sell and live comfortably, at least for a while. My main concern was clothing, all of my dresses were far too fancy to travel in, so I would first stop off at a shop in town to find something more appropriate.

By the time I'd finished planning I'd reached my room, and made quick work of jamming my jewels into a red silk bag, which perfectly matched my dress. The rest of my things were left behind, as I hurried back out into the hall.

It felt odd to be sneaking around my home, dodging guards and servants as I made my way outside. The guards at the gate would be hard to get by, so I hid myself in the back of a wagon. I knew it belonged to a silk merchant, he often brought his goods to court, and thusly he would be my ticket into town.

Then I just had to snag some new clothes, a horse and some food. I would worry about getting through the forest once the rest had been handled, perhaps I just didn't want to admit how clueless I was. I knew so little of the forest lands, and even less about the world beyond.

 

I was jostled awake by the bumpy road, the merchant had taken so long in returning to his wagon that I had fallen asleep under a heap of silk I'd used to hide myself from view. I leapt out when he stopped for another wagon, stumbling a bit when my feet hit the ground, and did my best to appear casual as I walked away.

I was nervous, I'd never been in town alone before, guards had always accompanied me on my outings and I found it strange to be walking alone. I would need to get used to it, as I would likely be alone for quite a while, as discomforting a thought as it was.

Raising my chin, I marched into a nearby jewelry shop and placed a few items down on the counter.

"I would like to sell these, please." I announced, as the woman eyed me curiously.

"May I ask why? They are such lovely pieces." She prodded, leaving me to wonder if she thought me a thief- how very rude of her and yet... what was I to say?

"My husband bought me new ones and I'm running out of space to keep them all." The lie flowed easily from my lips, despite my lack of planning, I chastised myself for not having prepared myself for such questions.

"It sounds like you are a lucky woman." She told me with a smile, though I wasn't sure if she'd believed me.

Either way she named a price of 10,000 gold and I accepted, happy to get out of there and find buy myself some new clothes.

It took me what seemed like forever to find a shop where I felt confident that I wouldn't be recognized, and once I did I frowned at the obviously peasant clothing inside.

"My lady?" The man inside hurried over to bow, his expression one of unmasked surprise as he took in my expensive clothing.

"I would like to purchase an outfit suitable for riding, as well as some clothing which would be comfortable for travel." I told him, as my gaze wandered over the selection.

The man blinked at me, seeming somewhat confused as he asked. "From my shop?"

"Of course! Why else would I be here?" I replied, my tone not half as annoyed as I felt.

"W, well than, I will arrange some choices for you!" He sputtered, hurrying off to do so.

I caught my reflection in the mirror as I waited, I still looked like a child despite the fact that I would be considered an adult in just two short months. My cheeks still retained some roundness from childhood, my form was petite and not yet filled out like my sisters’. But my eyes carried a heaviness to them, my grey eyes no longer appeared ‘strong as a storm’- like my father used to say- instead they looked tired, and perhaps a bit afraid.

Once he'd finished I simply paid the hundred gold for it all, I had already wasted too much time finding the place, I could afford no more on choosing what to buy. Though any other time I would have spent hours carefully selecting each piece.

The horse was much more easily acquired. I happened upon an auction and easily won the bid for a beautiful white stallion, with black socks that matched his wild eyes. His name was Ghost and I quickly loaded his saddlebag with my new clothing, before taking him to purchase food for our journey.

Somehow, I didn’t feel quite so alone anymore, perhaps this was why Virina was always badgering me to get a pet? I frowned at my thoughts, annoyed that I’d allowed her to creep into my mind, and petted Ghost’s nose when he nuzzled me.

I found myself stocking up on apples, carrots and sugar cubes. I knew the fruit wouldn’t last long, but Ghost had whined at the stand, as though insisting that I buy him treats. I caved, if he was all I had now than I wanted him to be happy with me.

Once finished shopping, I fed Ghost an apple and climbed up onto his sturdy back. “Let us hope that no goblins, Wolf-Men, or other pursuers will block our path.” I whispered to him, my heart racing as it fully sunk in that I was really doing this, I was really leaving Saffron.

I stroked his fur, second and third thoughts fighting for supremacy as I looked off toward the woods. The stretched out for miles, hundreds if I remembered correctly, thick and dark. People who wandered in were often never seen again, leading to rumors. Most blamed the goblins, though a few thought our Wolf-Men protectors were the true culprits.

I looked around once more and took in a deep breath, then whispered. “Let us be off.”



© 2017 Rori


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on March 11, 2017
Last Updated on March 11, 2017
Tags: princess, romance, fantasy, ya, wolves, goblins


Author

Rori
Rori

OH



About
Hey there, I'm an author and editor. As you will see, I write pretty much any genre I'm feeling at the time :) more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Rori