Prologue, A chance meeting

Prologue, A chance meeting

A Chapter by Rosey
"

The beginning of an epic story, of friendship, love, pain and life

"

It was a cold winter’s morning, the air had a thrilling chill to it, and the sun was trying to fight its way through the thick dark clouds above my head. The cold air turned the tip of my nose red.

The cold just added to the loneliness of the old grave yard, her stone was bright and new, compared to the rest; she’s been gone for more than 10 days now. The yard was quiet besides the little rustle or two from the dead leaves that clung to the branch that held them in the summer that just passed.

You could see her name vivid and clearly on the stone, it read: “Maria Carrson Loving mother and wife”. She was buried besides my grandmother, right where she wanted to be.

It was the middle of winter in my hometown; I’m simply saying my farewell, and then leave for university for my first year, a day’s trip away from this withering town. It used to be full of tourists and happy faces that was before the mayor allowed the army to set one of their experiment stations in the town, only the elders live here, all of my childhood friends have either left to live their own lives or join the army after high school.

“Im sorry mother, I have to leave tomorrow” I tried to strike a conversation to my dead mother, nothing...nothing but silence.

“Beautiful isn’t it?” The voice was weak, tiny and fragile; it matched the little woman besides me. I stood stunned, I didn’t even hear her approach me, she wore a thick black coat, which seemed to swallow her, her hair was hidden under her black beanie, a red scarf was wrapped around her neck, she wore large combat boots, she seemed tiny under all of that clothing, but her head was in line with my shoulders.

“Uh...w-what is?” I finally stammered out, she looked up at me with wide green

“The graves silly.” She chuckled out the words as if I were entertaining her. I finally noticed in her gloved hands she held a camera.

“I...I guess they are.” Was all I could stutter out. This woman who is she? And why was she here alone, at a grave yard in the middle of winter?!

“Uh, sorry if I sound rude, but who are you and why are you here?”

She looked at me again; her eyes seemed dull in the cold wind.

“My name is Skye, and im here taking photos, it’s for my project at university, who are you and why are you here sir?” her voice was soft, but it came out strong. Wait university? How old is she, and did she call me “sir?”

“M-my name is Ash, and im here visiting my mother, how old are you Skye?”

“Well in turning 20 in 2 days, and you Ash?”

“Im 23.” Was all I could say, how could she be 20 she’s so tiny, and fragile.

She looked up at me and gave me a small weak smile, her skin was pale, and she almost seemed transparent. She raised the camera to her eye and a click followed, with a dim light, she just took a photo of me in a grave yard, and a complete stranger.

“Uhm...Why did you do that?” I was confused at her odd actions, who was this woman?

“Well, I think you’re kind of cute, Ash.” Her small face held a small sweet smile on it, she seemed so innocent.

A low voice ruptured through the silence causing the two of us to turn around and look at the elderly man standing by the small Iron Gate that protected the entrance to the graves beyond the hedges. I looked down at Skye and she almost seemed sad.

“Well, I have to go, it was nice meeting you.” And with that the only person who spoke to me in since mother’s funeral, left.



© 2014 Rosey


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow I really liked this, is very interesting, and Ash's character seems to have deep hide feelings that I want to find out about. And Skye seems strange but interesting too as If she had a great story behind her.
I hope you continue this soon. Great job writing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rosey

10 Years Ago

Thanks a lot...im still trying to figure this story out myself, and im glad that you like it, i'll t.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 10, 2014
Last Updated on January 10, 2014
Tags: Grave yard, Ash, Skye


Author

Rosey
Rosey

Johannesburg, South Africa



About
HI all!!! Well I'm just here to spread my wings and share my stuff with everyone!!!...I am a "fantasy writer", I will post short stories of a fantasy world, I'm busy working on a book, so will try .. more..

Writing
The Lucky one The Lucky one

A Book by Rosey