Not Your Average Heart

Not Your Average Heart

A Story by Ericka Rossiter
"

This short story is a about a teenage girl who's life has revolved around her terminal heart condition. It shows her that although her heart hasn't worked right for years, it's still able to love.

"
The average adult heart beats 72 times a minute; 100,000 times a day; 3,600,000 times a year; and 2.5 billion times during a lifetime.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

I wish timing wasn't so bad

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

Your mom talked to me about you all the time when she was giving me my medicine every morning, the doctor told her that I hadn't talked to anyone in days and I know that her life was spent away in the hospital so you were the only thing that went on outside of it

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

She talked about how you were her only child and she was having issues with you going through your rebellious stage and that she was sure I knew what it was like since I was a teenager myself

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

But I really didn't know what it was like because my life outside of the hospital was spent locked away in my bedroom because it was the only place that my parents felt I was safe enough.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

She always would tell me stories about when you were little, I remember her telling me that when you were in kindergarten, you wandered away at recess and they found you three blocks over in someone's yard feeding their dog your sandwich she had packed you for lunch.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

I would never tell her this, but I envied you for how much she loved you, my parents had gotten obsessed with keeping me alive, they viewed me more as an object, like my life was a game they had refused to lose.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

October 23, 2014

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

My machine wouldn't stop beeping and your mom would usually come in by now, I finally got tired of hearing it so I slowly but surely got up and made my way out of the room.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

You were sitting in the nurses station like you owned the place, playing on your phone. I had to clear my throat 3 times to be exact, to get your attention.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

I asked if you knew where the nurse was, unsure of who you were. I remember you telling me about how your mom was in the room with another patient and that you were waiting for her to get back so she could give you gas money.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

She came back and introduced us and insisted on getting me back to bed because I was so weak. I never let her know but I was embarrassed that she said that in front of you because for a moment I felt as if I wasn't sick and I was just having a conversation with a cute boy.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

She fixed my machine and introduced us. Her pager went off so she had to go assist another patient. You stayed.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

We talked to three hours.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

I never let you know this but I slept for 12 hours that night. I hadn't had that much interaction with anyone for months.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

You gradually started to come every week. Mondays and Thursdays. It slowly became an everyday thing.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

We grew closer and closer. I avoided all talk about my condition. You didn't ask. But I knew you had to of had an idea of what you were getting yourself into. I was in hospice care after all.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

We talked about our futures. How many kids we planned to have. Where we wanted to live. I wanted 1 and you wanted 5. I wanted to be in Australia while you wanted to be in Germany. We talked for hours about nothing making it all into something. I'll never forget that.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

Months went by.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

I didn't tell you but I started to feel bad again. I knew you could tell by the way I didn't talk much. I started to sleep more.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

You stayed while I slept.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum
Ba-dum

I never told you, but I really enjoyed your company.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum

They told me that my body had stopped responding to the medicine and they would do anything to keep me comfortable.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum

You came to visit me the day after, I know I should've told you but you were so excited on getting accepted into your dream college. I didn't mention it to you although I should have.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum

July 6, 2015

Ba-dum
Ba-dum

You kissed me for the first time. I remember feeling my heart beat out of my chest.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum

It was the first time I had felt it do it's job in months.

Ba-dum
Ba-dum

I refused visitors when I started feeling bad.

Ba-dum

Your mom begged me to let you see me. I told her that I couldn't let you see me like this.

Ba-dum

I was doing you a favor.

Ba-dum

I could never let you see me like this.

Ba-dum

It's hard to write now.

Ba-dum

The average adult heart beats 72 times a minute; 100,000 times a day; 3,600,000 times a year; and 2.5 billion times during a lifetime

Ba-dum

My heart was never good at doing its job, but it was pretty good at loving you

Ba-

© 2017 Ericka Rossiter


Author's Note

Ericka Rossiter
This is one of the first time I've wrote anything for short stories. Please give me feedback.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The ending was predictable, but it was written in a way I didnt expect which takes skills. Amazing job!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
1 Review
Added on April 28, 2017
Last Updated on April 28, 2017
Tags: Love, illness, teen, heartbreak, poem

Author

Ericka Rossiter
Ericka Rossiter

Sidney, OH



About
I'm a 2017 graduate and I've always had a passion for writing. I've just now recently got the courage to post some of my work. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do writing it! more..

Writing