Depression

Depression

A Poem by Rowen
"

I have depression, and sometimes it can be really bad, but i'm going to write a poem about it, so yeah.

"
"Depression.
The shadow that follows me around everywhere
making me sad and dying inside.
When I make a mistake, you shower me with sadness and hate that makes it worse.
You're the reason I cry.
You're the reason my family is yelling at me, over and over.
You're the reason my friends are getting Annoyed.
You're the reason I think my life Sucks.
I am a person, and I can fight you off, but you will never go away.
My friends say, 'Stop being so upset."
well I'm sorry I have a sickness in my head I can't Cure."

© 2015 Rowen


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great work! I too suffer from depression so I know how it feels.. feel free to message me if you ever want to talk about poetry or anything :) xx

Posted 8 Years Ago


Rowen

8 Years Ago

Awe, Thank you so much! I'm really glad you liked it :)
The goal of both fiction and poetry is to make the reader react emotionally, as-an-entertainment for that reader.

In this piece, given that the reader doesn't know the one speaking, even to gender and age, and doesn't know what drove them to speak (or who they're speaking to) what can that reader say but, "Aww...poor baby." But isn't the purpose to make the reader know how you feel? And to do that, what works best, to grumble to the reader about someone the reader knows nothing about, or make the reader BECOME you and so experience what you do?

What you've written is you venting, in a way that's seen in lots of high school lit mags, where young poets cry that love is pain, and betrayal is inevitable. Teen aged girls, just learning to handle the emotions racing through them do it so often it's been called the dismal damsel poem.

Writing this was good therapy for you, because it gets the emotion out there where you can process it, and put it behind you. But because it's so personal it resonates only with someone in a like situation.

Do a search for poetry on depression. There are lots of sites, and if nothing else you'll find that you're far from alone, or unique in how you feel.

This page is about anxiety, depression's favorite cousin.
http://hellopoetry.com/words/515/anxiety/poems/

I thought several of the poems showed a good grasp of how to make the reader feel an empathetic connection to the poet.

Hope this helps



Posted 8 Years Ago


Rowen

8 Years Ago

Thanks! :)
JayG

8 Years Ago

Writing, of all kinds is a journey, not a destination, and we all proceed at our own pace. So compar.. read more
Lilaa

8 Years Ago

There is no need to compare, every writer is unique in their own way.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
2 Reviews
Added on December 30, 2015
Last Updated on December 30, 2015

Author

Rowen
Rowen

PA



About
Hi, My name is Rowen I like to read, watch anime, and of course, write stories! I'm currently learning Spanish at my school and self teaching myself Japanese. I like learning languages, hate math .. more..

Writing
Trapped. Trapped.

A Poem by Rowen


Red Red

A Poem by Rowen